Amazing "Croissant Diet" Experiment Results (Stearic Acid/Saturated Fat)

kaybb

@rebuke

It's super annoying that we can't get flour without iron added to it. For a while Sobey's had an Italian flour that had no iron in it and then all of a sudden it switched to having iron. Apparently they realized they were not supposed to be selling unenriched flour in Canada (I emailed the company asking about it).

Now I buy this flour.

If you buy the big size it's not overly expensive. Shipping wasn't too bad. I still find it highly irritating that I must go out of my way, and spend more money, for something that has less ingredients in it. The mainstream recognizes that iron can cause damage and also recognizes that men can have too much iron, so I am not sure why they have to add it to ALL flour considering men consume flour products as well. And what about people with hemochromatosis? It's freaking ridiculous.
I hear that Kamut flour is available in CAN. It’s expensive for me to get in USA because I have it sent instead of going to warehouse. But It’s the best tasting flour I’ve ever baked with. I can’t go back to any other now. Easier to digest also. Some people who have gluten problems can eat Kumut flour. It’s an ancient grain, non GMA, organic, no additives, flour... and the croissants are heavenly with it. Good luck.

Last edited:

KTownSatfats

I've been having good success with just adding a teaspoon (ca. 5gr) of cocoa butter to my 2 daily espressos (so a total of 10gr), and also eating more butter and less EVOO. I no longer feel like snacking between meals, and my total daily caloric intake has decreased by some 200 kcal. The results have not been dramatic, as I don't have much weight to lose, but I did lose 3kg, mostly the first week or so, and my stubborn belly fat has been steadily diminishing.
Thanks. Nice report. I too don’t have a lot of weight to lose but have stubborn belly fat. It’s all (the belly, basically) looking trimmer bit by bit. Surprises me sometimes, but it is gradual.

kaybb

This paragraph stood out to me, because it describes me and my failure with "traditional" dietary tactics, such as portion control:

"After eating the croissants, I began to feel satiation like never before. A couple times when I was hungry I would prepare two croissants but I could never finish them. I’ve always been a person who never feels strongly satiated. I only stop eating because my stomach hurts. Even then I will continue to pick at a meal. Not with the croissants. When I was done I was DONE."

Adding ~1tbsp stearic acid and ~3tbsp coconut oil to coffee KILLS my appetite all day. I can have some OJ or a few small apples and be totally content all day. Also makes me incredibly thirsty. Need for water increase triple, maybe more. Also, I REALLY feel like lifting weights. Theres a sort of savage emotion thats been coming over me, where I just want to flex my muscles, exert myself. I had this quite a lot in my late teens and early 20s, and Ive had it basically every day since adding these fats to my coffee.

I'm not sure Im losing weight, but literally everything else is so much better. I think theres something to his reactive oxygen species theory of obesity. It corresponds very well with @CLASH and @kreeese 's experiences with sugar and fat, and its very easy to add dairy and fruit to, to make it more Peaty.

EDIT: Ill add my NEAT has increased dramatically. Legs and hands just want to bounce around.
This is happening to us. For once in my life I’m satisfied; and also thirsty for water. Feel relaxed, and at the same time planning for some projects. Great improvement. Husband feeling good and not getting so hungry during the day. We are eating croissants for lunch. I’ll be doing my waist measurements over the weekend.

kaybb

Thanks. Nice report. I too don’t have a lot of weight to lose but have stubborn belly fat. It’s all (the belly, basically) looking trimmer bit by bit. Surprises me sometimes, but it is gradual.
how do you consume the steric acid, in what form and with what food ? I’m having the same results but still early .

rei

I have been using cocoa butter while doing IF and now dark chocolate+whole milk in my coffee, and with 2 squares+1dl milk it really becomes a meal replacement. Certainly an order of magnitude above butter/mct/coconut oil in terms of lasting satiety.

I've been having good success with just adding a teaspoon (ca. 5gr) of cocoa butter to my 2 daily espressos (so a total of 10gr), and also eating more butter and less EVOO. I no longer feel like snacking between meals, and my total daily caloric intake has decreased by some 200 kcal. The results have not been dramatic, as I don't have much weight to lose, but I did lose 3kg, mostly the first week or so, and my stubborn belly fat has been steadily diminishing.

congratulations. Very sensible.

schultz

And since it's hard to prepare fries from scratch, as it takes a lot of steps, it would be hard to make thusnkind of fries.

Wouldn't just cutting potatoes and putting them to an oven be enough?

I haven't done that. When I looked at a DIY video on preparing potatoes into fries, it was more involved. That's why there are terrible fries and awesome fries in restos. Even the starch coating in McDonald's fries has to come from a special process. If fries were easy to make, a nice McDonald's fries wouldn't be a big deal.

To make the good fries you need to increase the surface area of the cut pieces. Either with a coarse knife, or you could boil the cut pieces for 5 mins. It would create a larger surface. Then it should of course be fried in CO, ghee, or something with stearic acid. I sometimes just cut them, put some CO on them, in the oven and mix every 5 min until they are done.

I make fries every so often. It's very easy.

Cut potatoes into "fry" pieces. Pressure cook in water for 5 minutes. Drain and place on paper towel. Deep fry in refined coconut oil.

None of that fry twice crap, or soak in sugar for 2 hours, or whatever. I keep things simple. When I make them they are better than any restaurant fry easily.

cyclops

Did you try eating the stearic acid as part of your food, rather than a relatively isolated chemical? Lot's of things can be bothersome when unnaturally concentrated.

When you say 'as part of your food,' do you mean melting down the stearic acid with butter or oil, as it seems most are doing? No, I did not do that. I had asked if you could just chew it up into a paste, if you don't mind and didnt want to cook it, and someone said that should work fine, so that's what I did. I only ate it with a meals (about 4 times a day), never alone.

Or did you mean eating something like cocoa butter, which is supposed to be relatively high in stearic acid? I did that before as well, and I never got any pains at all, but did not notice any benefit from it either.

I think at this point, im just gonna go back to eating a bit of chocolate every now and then.. no pain from that and taste better then cocoa butter to me. Since I did not see any benefit from Stearic acid (which gave me pains) or Cocoa Butter, I guess I will just eat chocolate when I want because I enjoy it and if Im getting some benefit from bit of stearic acid, thats great too!

Last edited:

cyclops

That amount of SA, I must say, sounds extremely excessive. Maybe one third that much (at most) wouldn't cause the symptoms? Maybe it'd even work better. Who knows? But I do think one needs to be judicious with this stuff.

Agree, if reading it right, that could be about 60-90 grams of SA a day, all in a form that likely doesn't digest well.

I am using about 2-3 tablespoons a day, always melted into food. Haven't had any digestive symptoms personally.

My apologies, I think I may have mismeasured and misspoke. I have a large spoon that I stuck in the bag, that I thought I measured in the past and it came to 2-3 tablespoons (but I think this all changes based on what you are actually weighing). Anyway, I just went and measured the actual amount in the spoon and it came to around 7-8 grams of stearic acid. So if I was doing that about 4-5 times a day, that would mean about 28-40 grams a day. So maybe this was way too much to be considered healthy? I don't know... I figured it would be a good experiment to really change the fat ratio of my diet towards stearic acid like I thought that guy was doing. I wanted to see if this simple addition would drastically reduce body fat, keeping everything else in my diet the same. But maybe I messed up and did way too much.

tankasnowgod

My apologies, I think I may have mismeasured and misspoke. I have a large spoon that I stuck in the bag, that I thought I measured in the past and it came to 2-3 tablespoons (but I think this all changes based on what you are actually weighing). Anyway, I just went and measured the actual amount in the spoon and it came to around 7-8 grams of stearic acid. So if I was doing that about 4-5 times a day, that would mean about 28-40 grams a day. So maybe this was way too much to be considered healthy? I don't know... I figured it would be a good experiment to really change the fat ratio of my diet towards stearic acid like I thought that guy was doing. I wanted to see if this simple addition would drastically reduce body fat, keeping everything else in my diet the same. But maybe I messed up and did way too much.

The 28-40 grams is quite a bit, since you weren't melting it into food or anything. It you look through Haidut's thread on Stearic Acid, he suggests that it would have an antibiotic effect (all saturated fats do), so some part being undigested could probably be beneficial. But 28 grams per day, every day? That might cause issues.

Regardless, if you don't want to eat it anymore, you can also use it topically (I combine some with Hydrogenated Coconut Oil). It works great on the skin, and does help to saturate fat stores via that route as well.

cyclops

The 28-40 grams is quite a bit, since you weren't melting it into food or anything. It you look through Haidut's thread on Stearic Acid, he suggests that it would have an antibiotic effect (all saturated fats do), so some part being undigested could probably be beneficial. But 28 grams per day, every day? That might cause issues.

Regardless, if you don't want to eat it anymore, you can also use it topically (I combine some with Hydrogenated Coconut Oil). It works great on the skin, and does help to saturate fat stores via that route as well.

Good to know I was overdoing it then. Im still having the pains now, so maybe when this goes away, I will wait a while then attempt again at a much smaller dose, like 5 grams a day or something and see if that provides benefits without pain. Right now if I even take 5 grams I get the pains for a few days.

CLASH

This paragraph stood out to me, because it describes me and my failure with "traditional" dietary tactics, such as portion control:

"After eating the croissants, I began to feel satiation like never before. A couple times when I was hungry I would prepare two croissants but I could never finish them. I’ve always been a person who never feels strongly satiated. I only stop eating because my stomach hurts. Even then I will continue to pick at a meal. Not with the croissants. When I was done I was DONE."

Adding ~1tbsp stearic acid and ~3tbsp coconut oil to coffee KILLS my appetite all day. I can have some OJ or a few small apples and be totally content all day. Also makes me incredibly thirsty. Need for water increase triple, maybe more. Also, I REALLY feel like lifting weights. Theres a sort of savage emotion thats been coming over me, where I just want to flex my muscles, exert myself. I had this quite a lot in my late teens and early 20s, and Ive had it basically every day since adding these fats to my coffee.

I'm not sure Im losing weight, but literally everything else is so much better. I think theres something to his reactive oxygen species theory of obesity. It corresponds very well with @CLASH and @kreeese 's experiences with sugar and fat, and its very easy to add dairy and fruit to, to make it more Peaty.

EDIT: Ill add my NEAT has increased dramatically. Legs and hands just want to bounce around.

I think theres a few factors involved in the benefits of eating higher saturated fat intakes beyond just stearic acid:

1) Increased androgen production

2) Optimization of digestion via the induction of bile acids, cholecystokinin, pancreatic enzymes, small intestine barrier function, and the killing of microbes.

3) Direct protection of the liver and the body against a range of pathogens and toxins, especially endotoxin

4) I think the fatty acids spare glucose for the nervous system and perhaps some other vital organ systems. The fats provide a fuel source for the musculature to burn at rest avoiding thier need to rely on glucose.

5) Stabilizes blood sugar by slowing down digestion a bit. In my experience this stops the blood sugar crashes and adrenaline rushes. I dont think this is a negative slowing down because the fat also induces alot of factors that enhance digestion and absorption.

6) Functioning as a structural component in the body.

tara

Wouldn't just cutting potatoes and putting them to an oven be enough?
Yip.
Put coconut oil (or tallow) in baking dish. (I haven't tried it with cocoa butter or adding any stearic acid.)
Clean or peel and cut potatoes and add to dish.
Put in hot oven.
Get out of oven to turn part way through if you get around to it. Gets oil spread around, and gives you a chance to rearrange for peat penetration. But if it doesn't happen, they are still OK).
When soft and starting to brown slightly, remove from oven
Serve with condiments, eat.

Very simple.
I'm sure there are refinements one can make, but I enjoy these. Having nice potatoes to start with makes a difference.

I've occasionally deep fried too, and had success without any extra steps beyond cutting into chip shapes and immersing in hot coconut oil.

When you say 'as part of your food,' do you mean melting down the stearic acid with butter or oil, as it seems most are doing? No, I did not do that. I had asked if you could just chew it up into a paste, if you don't mind and didnt want to cook it, and someone said that should work fine, so that's what I did. I only ate it with a meals (about 4 times a day), never alone.
I meant mixing it in some way with other food. Eg with butter, butter oil, coconut oil or something else that is then eaten with other foods. People's guts can have varying tolerance for particular chemicals. Stearic acid has a melting point (~69C) way above the body temps in your gut, so possibly just the solid state could be aggravating if not adequately diluted? If you were eating it with meals, it's possible that would have an ameliorating effect, but I wonder if it could still be a factor?
I haven't tried it. I do eat cocoa butter sometimes. Cocoa butter should melt just below healthy body temps.
I think at this point, im just gonna go back to eating a bit of chocolate every now and then.. no pain from that and taste better then cocoa butter to me.
:)

Vinny

I think theres a few factors involved in the benefits of eating higher saturated fat intakes beyond just stearic acid:

1) Increased androgen production

2) Optimization of digestion via the induction of bile acids, cholecystokinin, pancreatic enzymes, small intestine barrier function, and the killing of microbes.

3) Direct protection of the liver and the body against a range of pathogens and toxins, especially endotoxin

4) I think the fatty acids spare glucose for the nervous system and perhaps some other vital organ systems. The fats provide a fuel source for the musculature to burn at rest avoiding thier need to rely on glucose.

5) Stabilizes blood sugar by slowing down digestion a bit. In my experience this stops the blood sugar crashes and adrenaline rushes. I dont think this is a negative slowing down because the fat also induces alot of factors that enhance digestion and absorption.

6) Functioning as a structural component in the body.
:+1

cyclops

I meant mixing it in some way with other food. Eg with butter, butter oil, coconut oil or something else that is then eaten with other foods. People's guts can have varying tolerance for particular chemicals. Stearic acid has a melting point (~69C) way above the body temps in your gut, so possibly just the solid state could be aggravating if not adequately diluted? If you were eating it with meals, it's possible that would have an ameliorating effect, but I wonder if it could still be a factor?
I haven't tried it. I do eat cocoa butter sometimes. Cocoa butter should melt just below healthy body temps.

I would like to try this, but didnt see a recipe in this thread, maybe I missed it. I have Hydrogenated Coconut Oil and I have the Stearic Acid. Is there a recipe with the best amounts to combine them? Im guessing I just melt them in a pan and then I'd store it in a glass jar and then I could add to my food.

tara

I would like to try this, but didnt see a recipe in this thread, maybe I missed it. I have Hydrogenated Coconut Oil and I have the Stearic Acid. Is there a recipe with the best amounts to combine them? Im guessing I just melt them in a pan and then I'd store it in a glass jar and then I could add to my food.
I don't know the proportions you'd need to mix to ensure it melts below body temps. I haven't done it, but I'd imagine melting them together would do it.
If it were me, I'd probably be either experimenting with smaller amounts to begin with - can presumably remelt and add more of one or the other if needed, or just put the oil and a little stearic acid into a pan when I use it to prepare food. If you make it too hard, it may be hard to get out of a glass jar. (Cocoa butter certainly is.)

kaybb

Yes, extremely with thin stools followed by diarrhea. Mutaflor and S. Boulardii helped me get back to normal.
Oh wow .. glad for your improvmeent. The first day on croissant, had bad colon pain for about 20 min. Went away and after two days I have been more regular this week continuing the croissant.

Last edited:

Zigzag

I've returned to eating white chocolate and it appears it doesn't cause me any stomach issues anymore. The point is the only affordable white chocolate I can put my hands on is Milka and it has soy lecithin as an emulsifier (which I guess isn't good). Also what's the deal with palmitic acid? Cocoa butter contains roughly 26% of it.