Am New Post Menopausal Weight Gain

kkrtype

I am new to this post and need help. I am post menopausal and 52 and gaining weight. Trying to do Peat because of estrogen dominance. Had breast cancer three years ago, it was Grade Zero, so all was okay after surgery and radiation. I am not taxing tamoxifin as I am more naturopathic and going that way with supervision. I am thinking of getting progesterone....but my question is how to lose weight on Peat with the estogren going down hopefully. And how do I know if my thyroid is up or down or slow, etc? Please help! Thanks!!! :)

tara

:welcome kkrtype

I'm glad you succeeded in sending that breast cancer packing. Congratulations.

You can measure temperature and pulse a few times a day including particularly first thing on waking and about an hour after breakfast for a few days to give some information about general thyroid metabolism. You can look up lists of hypothyroid symptoms, and see how many you match. One is a tendency to cold hands and feet.

I'm not going to advise on deliberate weight loss, but it might happen or slow down the gain - no guarantees. Peat has suggested a couple of quarts of 1% milk and a quart of OJ as a basis for a diet. Amongst other things, he says calcium in milk is helpful, and sugars from fruit and milk and honey are likely to be more metabolism stimulating than starches, so he tends to suggest not eating much starch. Here's an interview transcript you might find interesting: viewtopic.php?f=73&t=5434

Different people here have differing experiences. Personally, I tend to take the approach of trying to improve metabolism, and letting weight find where it wants to be.

OP
K

kkrtype

Thank you so much. I will look at that post. Yes, I did the regular treatment for the bc, but I hired a naturopathic doctor and a kinesilogist and I breezed through the treatment, not having any of the side effects that most of the women had. Thank God!

Where do I find out about how to take my temperature and pulse? I don't have a temperature gauge so I would have to do the pulse thing. I guess I search it on this forum. I really need to lose weight, that's my biggest thing. And on the posts I hear a lot about the chronometer, so I signed up for it, but you have to buy the gold version to get any real help as far as weight loss. But I did see where my caloric intake was like 3,000 calories today eating eggs, fish, milk, oranje juice and some dark chocolate and white rice.

Also, can I buy the orange juice if it's not from concentrate or do I have to juice the oranges myself?

Thank you for all your help!

tara

You should be able to buy a thermometer reasonably cheaply - where I am, I got mine from a pharmacy. I think it's worth getting one, if you want to be able to assess your awn metabolism.
To measure pulse you just need a watch/clock that counts seconds. You get better data if you have both temps and pulse, and at different times of day. It helps distinguish metabolism being kept up by stress hormones from metabolism running well on thyroid.

Peat suggests juicing one's own fresh ripe sweet oranges, and straining out the fibre. But sometimes that's not possible. Personally, I buy commercial OJ and counter the excess acid with a bit of baking soda most of the time, but it's not as good. Some people are more sensitive to the fibre etc in OJ than others. You can try and see what works for you.

I think cronometer is useful for assessing what nutrition you are getting, but I would not go by all it's suggestions. It is likely to underestimate needs for calories, protein and calcium, and overestimate needs for PUFAs and iron. Otherwise may be a reasonable estimation of requirements, but can vary from person to person. I've read of studies showing average calories for non-dieting weight-stable women are around 2500. This would have a bit of variation according to height, activity levels etc, but is quite a bit higher than common calorie calculators, which are mostly based on flawed data. Cutting calories too far can reduce metabolism. Increasing muscles can improve metabolism (but not training to exhaustion).

Getting your intake of polyunsaturated oils down as low as you can is a key tactic of Peat's that many of us here adopt. PUFAs interfere with metabolism in lots of ways. It takes a while to get the level in your system down, but probably worth starting as soon as possible.
If you haven't yet seen the sticky thread at the top of the Diet subforum, it's worth a look.

OP
K

kkrtype

Okay, super. You have been incredibly helpful. After doing some research I think I am gaining because I am eating way too much cheese! :) So I need to continue with my RP, take my temperature and pulse as you said and then just lay low on the cheese.....and yes, I will look at the sticky thread. Thanks so much for your advise on the chronometer. Guess I'll start with my pulse tomorrow and get a thermometer so I can correctly assess what is going on.

natedawggh

No cheese is great, it is not causing you weight gain. Weight gain is essentially improper water management by cells, and really doesn't have much to do with calories.

Weight loss can be reversed by having a diet high in helpful amino acids. Glycine, Proline, Lysine, Taurine. Taking a lot of gelatin can be a good source of Glycine, and also shrimp and shellfish contain greater quantities of these proteins, especially taurine, than muscle meats (fish do not at all, they are not included in this and will actually cause weight gain, regardless of fat content). You can also supplement glycine, lysine, and taurine, but do not make supplementing your main source of them because that won't work and isn't really healthy. Having a diet high in fruit, potatoes, shrimp, scallops, and oysters is a guaranteed way to lose weight. You can also increase your thyroid function and metabolism by supplementing niacinamide (b3), magnesium (i like magnesium chloride), zinc, and salt. If you drink alcohol at all do not expect to lose weight, avoid all grains and bad oils such as corn, canola, etc.

OP
K

kkrtype

Thank you so much! I will run to the store to get the supplements. I do supplement with the gelatin and that I have been doing for a while, and use it if I eat a grass fed steak or lamb, etc. So, my diet is for breakfast I usually have two eggs fried in coconut oil or grass fed butter, and fried potatoes and a glass of orange juice. For a snack I was having grass fed cheese with animal rennet and an orange or watermelon or pears, (very ripe pears!). And then for lunch I will have some lamb with fruit, or fish or fish....and then cheese and fruit for snack and for dinner, usually some pork rinds and cheese and/or some homemade broth from marrow bones or chicken feet. However, the chicken feet aren't organic as it's hard to find them much less organic, but it's the only thing that seems to make my broths gel. I also have about two cups of coffee a day with 1% milk, glass of hot milk before I go to bed with organic honey, possibly a latte during the day and a small piece of dark chocolate. However, I should incorporate more oysters, shrimp and scallops also as you say. What do you think about this? I do have for snacks occasionally the oysters in the can that RP suggested...the name brand escapes me and I love them. But I read online that you should only eat so many of these....is that correct? Also, I am thinking of buying the progesterone E from RP as that cancer a few years ago was due to estrogen dominance. That's why I like RP because he focuses on this issue with his way of eating. Would you suggest the progesterone also? I'm probably asking way too much! Thanks for your input!

OP
K

kkrtype

Oh, and one more question, where do I get the supplements that you mentioned and does shellfish have all those amino acids in them?

Oh, and I also start my day with a glass of orange juice and a raw carrot on an empty stomach - - as carrots are great for getting rid of estrogenic properties in the body so I've read!

tara

Hi,
Natedawggh's suggestions above may well be helpful to you. Though I don't see how they can be guaranteed.
I'll note that Peat does not routinely recommend zinc spplements or isolated amino acids for most people. He recommends oysters for zinc, and gelatin or hydrolysate, and shell fish for most people. That doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't do it, but I'm making a distinction between natedawgg's recommendations and Peat's.

Also, while I generally think alcohol is a metabolic burden, and likely to do more harm than good during recovery (or anyway), it is not strictly true that any amount of alcohol will prevent weightloss for everyone. For some people it may well be true that alcohol prevents desirable fat loss, and beer guts are plentiful. However, there are also quite a few thin alcoholics around, and some people use it to sustain anorexia. This is not a recommendation for anyone to drink alcohol, I just disagree with this generalisation.

OP
K

kkrtype

Thank you so much! I am so glad you wrote that. I am new to this post and I thought that everyone that wrote in was an expert on Ray Peat's recommendations - so thank you for balancing that out. I haven't bought anything yet except shrimp and oysters at the store, however, I did read in the posts that RP only recommends shellfish once or twice a week. And good to hear about alcohol...I like to have a drink or two or three with my friends over dinner once or twice a week!

Thanks again!

tara

I think all of us here have tried to learn a bit about Peat's writing. There are some common threads that many of us see in common (eg minimise PUFA, for most people fruit/juice and milk are recommended, get enough protein, etc), but there are also aspects that some of us take different interpretations of. And what works for one person may not be the same as what works for someone else.
You'll get more of an idea if you read Peat's articles and interviews yourself and read a range of threads. Some will look unanimous, and some will include disagreements. You get to try to try to figure out what is most relevant to you, and try things out to see if you can get something that works for you.

On the alcohol, even though I disagreed with natedawggh's generalisation, I do think he has a point, and it may turn out to apply to you too, so I wouldn't assume it is harmless in our situation.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Welcome kkrtype! What I'm going to mention is merely knowledge bested on personal experience (of a friend) and not expert advice but I thought I'd mention it to you as you are a breast cancer survivor. Someone in my life who is in remission from breast cancer told me her medical team advised her to avoid alcohol because of its effect on her hormones. While I realize this may not apply to you and there are many 'types' of breast cancer it might be worth researching further to see if your regular moderate alcohol intake could be risky given your history. Good luck to you and I hope you find the forum helpful to your healing journey.

OP
K

kkrtype

Thank you so much! And yes I have decreased it immensely because yes you are right!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals