Am I The Only One That Feels Unwell After Red Light Therapy?

Callmestar

I recently purchased a red light therapy device, 660nm and 850nm, 300w, 60 LED at 5w each. A smallish device.

I have used it 3 times and each and every time I feel, unwell, anxious, foggy headed, unable to think clearly after use.
The first time I tried it I used the device for about 15 minutes on my face and neck. I then tried to go food shopping and had to leave the shop as I felt as if I was going to pass out. I couldn't think, my head felt very odd, I felt in a complete daze and this sent me into severe anxiety/panic for the next few days. It took me a good week to feel near normal again.
I didn't use the device again for a week or so. I then tried again but only used it for 5 minutes, again I felt strange, out of sorts and anxious after use.
I have just tried yet again another 2 weeks on and again I am here feeling strange, detached from reality and anxious from only using the light for a few minutes.

What is going on? Am I hypersensitive to RLT? Have I just got a dodgy light? Does anyone else experience symptoms like these from red light therapy?

To me the brightest of the light feels to much. Its feels as if it knocks my body clock/circadian rhythm instantly out of Wack and my brain/body becomes confused about what time of day it is. That's just a guess as to what's going on.

I'm really frustrated and disappointed and having so much hope for RLT. But it seems to have a negative effect on me.

Last edited:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
15 minutes. :eek: o_O More like 15 seconds is optimal depending on distance from light. 15 minutes is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay toooooooooooo much. Red light detaches nitric oxide so that can possibly give you the effect you are feeling.

OP
C

Callmestar

15 minutes. :eek: o_O More like 15 seconds is optimal depending on distance from light. 15 minutes is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay toooooooooooo much. Red light detaches nitric oxide so that can possibly give you the effect you are feeling.

15 seconds? Seriously? There's a whole forum about light therapy and we are only to use it for 15 seconds at a time?

Everything I have read suggests around 10-15 minutes exposure at a time.

The device I have is similar power to a Joovv for example and they recommend a distance of 4-6 inches from the light for 10 minutes per treatment area.

I'm confused.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
15 seconds? Seriously? There's a whole forum about light therapy and we are only to use it for 15 seconds at a time?

Everything I have read suggests around 10-15 minutes exposure at a time.

The device I have is similar power to a Joovv for example and they recommend a distance of 4-6 inches from the light for 10 minutes per treatment area.

I'm confused.
I know what is recommended, and its too much.

OP
C

Callmestar

I know what is recommended, and its too much.

Isn't what's recommended based on studies?

I haven't heard of anyone else experiencing negative symptoms so far. Which is why is seems odd.

So with a light like the one I have, with 300w 60 LED, you'd recommend 15 seconds of exposure once a day?
Do you think any positive health benefits would be experienced from only 15 seconds?

meatbag

I recently purchased a red light therapy device, 660nm and 850nm, 300w, 60 LED at 5w each. A smallish device.

I have used it 3 times and each and every time I feel, unwell, anxious, foggy headed, unable to think clearly after use.
The first time I tried it I used the device for about 15 minutes on my face and neck. I then tried to go food shopping and had to leave the shop as I felt as if I was going to pass out. I couldn't think, my head felt very odd, I felt in a complete daze and this sent me into severe anxiety/panic for the next few days. It took me a good week to feel near normal again.
I didn't use the device again for a week or so. I then tried again but only used it for 5 minutes, again I felt strange, out of sorts and anxious after use.
I have just tried yet again another 2 weeks on and again I am here feeling strange, detached from reality and anxious from only using the light for a few minutes.

What is going on? Am I hypersensitive to RLT? Have I just got a dodgy light? Does anyone else experience symptoms like these from red light therapy?

To me the brightest of the light feels to much. Its feels as if it knocks my body clock/circadian rhythm instantly out of Wack and my brain/body becomes confused about what time of day it is. That's just a guess as to what's going on.

I'm really frustrated and disappointed and having so much hope for RLT. But it seems to have a negative effect on me.
upload_2019-4-3_18-11-56.jpeg

Maybe tanning goggles would help. With sunglasses light still gets in
edit: When I've used red light and it shines in my eyes for too long I kind of get the effect you're describing

Last edited:
if I use too much red light, I get ED for 3 or 4 days.

Powerful stuff.

I have a 1000 watt device at home. 30 or 45 seconds is good on that one. For a 100 watt device, 2 or 3 minutes.

OP
C

Callmestar

if I use too much red light, I get ED for 3 or 4 days.

Powerful stuff.

I have a 1000 watt device at home. 30 or 45 seconds is good on that one. For a 100 watt device, 2 or 3 minutes.

Just feels as if it would be difficult to get any health benefits from such little light exposure but who knows.

Nokoni

Constatine

Yeah your dose is way to high. Like Charlie said around 15 seconds (1 J/cm^2 dose). At 15 minutes your just shocking your brain with a large amount of oxidative stress. Successful studies normally do biweekly doses or something as well, not daily. Imo though it's best to just get sunlight.

OP
C

Callmestar

Yeah your dose is way to high. Like Charlie said around 15 seconds (1 J/cm^2 dose). At 15 minutes your just shocking your brain with a large amount of oxidative stress. Successful studies normally do biweekly doses or something as well, not daily. Imo though it's best to just get sunlight.

I just don't get it, you're saying use my light for 15 seconds, but there are people using these fully body high powered machines like the NovoThor for 10 minutes plus and seeing amazing results? With no negative symptoms.

Dave Clark

I have an intranasal Vielight which runs on a timer for about 20 minutes/session. I also have used the SOTA Lightworks for over ten years on a meridian program where you put the light wand on accupuncture points for 5 minutes a piece, there is 14 points. I am not an expert on this, but it is my understanding that red light applied to the eyes is much different, time-wise than applied to the skin. Many devices are produced and used on the skin for minutes at a time. Never read/heard one disclaimer about going more than 15 seconds, except here. I would buy that recommendation for direct eye use, but not skin application. However, what we think is good advice may not be, I stay open minded.

ebs

15 seconds on the thyroid specifically?

I did a month of experimenting with red light (LGS1) on my thyroid for 5-10 minutes and it did not really had the effect I was aiming for.

OP
C

Callmestar

So disappointed. After reading such amazing reviews and testimonials about red light therapy, I really thought it might be the thing to help me with health issues, but instead it feels like it makes me more ill!

TripleOG

Depends on the distance. You'll have to know the mW/cm2 and do some math to know your dosage. Increase the distance and/or reduce the time will reduce dosage. Start small and increase gradually.

Constatine

A lot of devices are also just too powerful. At a certain power density no dose becomes safe.

I just don't get it, you're saying use my light for 15 seconds, but there are people using these fully body high powered machines like the NovoThor for 10 minutes plus and seeing amazing results? With no negative symptoms.
I don't know much about the NovoThor but it seems like it would be a pretty massive overdose. You can get pretty widespread immunosuppression at some point. Its possible we are wrong but I do doubt there are many people who have ran such a program for an extended period of time without consequences.

yerrag

If you're dosing right
and it's not working out, experiment with lesser dose as some have suggested. You have to go with what you're personally observing and not what you should be expecting. Also, ask for possible reasons you're not responding well.

Are you sufficient in Vitamin A and magnesium? Are your tissues well-oxygenated? Is there any hypoxia or bypoxemia where you would be low on oxygen? Or are you getting low on blood sugar? If the red light is having an effect of increasing your metabolism, then it will increase your requirements for any of these things. If you are running out of stuff, then you may be left hanging out to dry.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals