Alzheimer Disease (AD) Is Likely A Metabolic Disorder

haidut

Forum Supporter
The Harvard authors publicly fault the genetic hypothesis for failing to produce a viable treatment for this horrible diseases. The interesting piece is that once again they implicate the Warburg Effect in the pathology of the disease. Btw, the Warburg Effect as a cause of disease like cancer and AD rather than effect is now popularly called Inverse Warburg Effect. I suppose this is done to continue to misled the public that it is an affect rather than cause.
Anyways, the authors propose therapies that inhibit glycolysis as viable methods for treating AD. Unsurprisingly, the therapies are quite simple, just like Peat suggested.

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2 ... lzheimers/

"...Metabolic reprogramming, a cornerstone of the model, is called the Inverse Warburg Effect because it is analogous to the mode of metabolic alteration the Nobel laureate Otto Warburg proposed almost 100 years ago to explain the origin of late-onset forms of cancer. The metabolic shift in this case is the upregulation of glycolysis. “The therapeutic implications are quite simple,” Demetrius said. “In order to prevent this shift from normal to pathological aging, all we need to do is ensure that the quasi-equilibrium between intact and impaired neurons remains stable, and we can do that through what we call metabolic interventions.”

chris

haidut - Sorry if I'm missing something obvious here. What are the simple therapies that Peat talks about for treating cancer?

Thanks.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
chris said:
haidut - Sorry if I'm missing something obvious here. What are the simple therapies that Peat talks about for treating cancer?

Thanks.

If I can sum it up in one sentence I guess it would be "block/restrict glycolysis, maximize CO2 and minimize lactate". Cancer cells do not do well in well oxygenated environment when oxidative phosphorylation is working properly. Btw, another study just came out that supports Peat's views and states that restoring oxygen supply to the cell allows the immune system to "kill" the cancer.
http://stm.sciencemag.org/content/7/277/277ra30

Incidentally, the study says that lowering adenosine concentrations restores oxygen levels inside the tumor. One obvious substance that would do the same thing is caffeine as it is a powerful adenosine antagonist. Unsurprisingly, caffeine is highly protective against cancer.
Peat has a number of articles where he talks about other specific treatments that should be helpful - PUFA depletion, anti-cholinergic drugs (e.g. cyproheptadine), blocking histamine, increasing GABA, reducing estrogen, etc. However, all of these specific methods really end up doing one thing - remove the brakes on the proper oxidation of glucose and production of CO2.

burtlancast

haidut said:
Peat has a number of articles where he talks about other specific treatments that should be helpful - PUFA depletion, anti-cholinergic drugs (e.g. cyproheptadine), blocking histamine, increasing GABA, reducing estrogen, etc. However, all of these specific methods really end up doing one thing - remove the brakes on the proper oxidation of glucose and production of CO2.

Daily niacinamide and aspirin block the enzyme that releases free aftty acids.
This coincides with Ray's treatment of type 2 diabetes.
Both diabetes and cancer share the same inhibition of normal glucose oxidation.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
burtlancast said:
haidut said:

Daily niacinamide and aspirin block the enzyme that releases free aftty acids.
This coincides with Ray's treatment of type 2 diabetes.
Both diabetes and cancer share the same inhibition of normal glucose oxidation.

Yep, I was actually going to make an analogy. Imagine a numerical scale from -1 to +1. On one end at -1 is cancer and at the other at +1 is immortality. Everything in between is various stages of metabolism. Type I diabetes, Alzheimers, PD, CVD, various organ failures would be around -0.75, type II diabetes would be around -0.5, and most people living in modern Western nations would be around -0.25. The scale would also vary based on time of day. At 8am in the morning after fasting all night, having high cortisol/adrenalin, and being insulin resistant most people would be at -0.5 or maybe even worse. In the afternoon, around 3pm-4pm most people would be close to 0. I'd put a healthy baby at around 0.5, naked mole rats at 0.75 and lobsters close to 1.

kaybb

With Alzhimers the simple treatment would include progesterone and DHEA. I am trying to get together a simple treatment for my father who is showing signs and really struggling. He also has a diagnosis of mezotheleoma (lung cancer from asbestos contracted in military service when he was younger). He might let me help him if treatment was "simple" ....hoping

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
kaybb said:
post 105201 With Alzhimers the simple treatment would include progesterone and DHEA. I am trying to get together a simple treatment for my father who is showing signs and really struggling. He also has a diagnosis of mezotheleoma (lung cancer from asbestos contracted in military service when he was younger). He might let me help him if treatment was "simple" ....hoping
Have you seen the study with aspirin on Alzheimers? It was all over the news a few weeks ago.
viewtopic.php?t=7880

Progesterone also helps, but DHEA may be harmful in his condition. AD patients already have high levels of DHEA in the brain.

Last edited by a moderator:

jyb

haidut said:
Progesterone also helps, but DHEA may be harmful in his condition. AD patients already have high levels of DHEA in the brain.

Yes, that's what Ray wrote while warning about DHEA. Don't you think it is paradoxical? DHEA is a youth hormone, synthesis is thyroid dependent, and here the association is with DHEA itself not oestrogen (though it could well be in addition to).

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
jyb said:
post 105253
haidut said:

Yes, that's what Ray wrote while warning about DHEA. Don't you think it is paradoxical? DHEA is a youth hormone, synthesis is thyroid dependent, and here the association is with DHEA itself not oestrogen (though it could well be in addition to).

I did not say that I agree with Peat, I just said that without knowing more I would not give DHEA to an AD patient. As I've said before, the DHEA accumulation in the brain of AD patients could be adaptive/protective.
For healthier people it is probably fine.

kaybb

haidut said:
post 105249
kaybb said:
post 105201 With Alzhimers the simple treatment would include progesterone and DHEA. I am trying to get together a simple treatment for my father who is showing signs and really struggling. He also has a diagnosis of mezotheleoma (lung cancer from asbestos contracted in military service when he was younger). He might let me help him if treatment was "simple" ....hoping
Have you seen the study with aspirin on Alzheimers? It was all over the news a few weeks ago.
viewtopic.php?t=7880

Thanks so much Haidut..for this info !

unicorn

If I can sum it up in one sentence I guess it would be "block/restrict glycolysis, maximize CO2 and minimize lactate". Cancer cells do not do well in well oxygenated environment when oxidative phosphorylation is working properly. Btw, another study just came out that supports Peat's views and states that restoring oxygen supply to the cell allows the immune system to "kill" the cancer.
Immunological mechanisms of the antitumor effects of supplemental oxygenation

Incidentally, the study says that lowering adenosine concentrations restores oxygen levels inside the tumor. One obvious substance that would do the same thing is caffeine as it is a powerful adenosine antagonist. Unsurprisingly, caffeine is highly protective against cancer.
This is gold for healing cancer.