Always Hungry.

SQu

Honey is another good option, any ideas for lowfat salty things? I'm also hungry when going to bed or an hour or so later. I'll wake up bc I hear a baby on the monitor and notice I'm hungry. For a while I thought it was thirst, but liquids haven't helped.
Zillions of great suggestions! Broth soaks up lots of salt, more then most things, without tasting too salty. A quick version if you can eat gelatin (not sure if you said?) Is to stir bloomed gelatin into a mug of boiling water and add something like a stock cube/teaspoon of Bovril or similar (if ingredient list ok) and salt to taste. Eggs hard boiled ahead of time. Biltong/jerky.

tara

m_arch

Yeah I'm not a mother but ive heard that breast feeding takes a huge amount of calories up especially if you have twins. Maybe go for concentrated orange juice or something, trying to get as many calories in as possible without feeling full.

Ulla

I think that for one breastfeeding mother's body takes 200 kcal for milk production. Not sure if that is scientific proven, I heard from others.

Giraffe

I think that for one breastfeeding mother's body takes 200 kcal for milk production. Not sure if that is scientific proven, I heard from others.
I don't think a baby would thrive on 200 kcal, let alone two babies.

michael94

I disagree - this post is not about inappropriate hunger - the hunger is there for a very good reason, and is best simply obeyed.

I agree, kind of.

Here's what we know...

a) she is ravenously hungry all the time
b) she doesn't do well with fat even if it's saturated
c) she is eating lower fat foods constantly to the point where it's becoming a bit annoying to deal with

First off, not all hunger is the same. There's more than one hormone involved and it's very much beyond my total understanding. Three of the major players are NPY, ghrelin and orexin. Of course other things can influence those hormonal responses in the same way things that are not serotonin can act on those "receptors". To my limited knowledge, NPY is heavily implicated in the sort of ravenous hunger people often describe. She didn't describe any sort of abnormal sleep patterns which orexin plays a huge part in, for example, so I don't suspect that. The specific hormones are not really necessary to consider in this instance but I think it's some interesting context and a possible avenue for further exploration.

Now, b), she says she prefers being low fat, at least to the point where it's worth being hungry all the time to avoid whatever happens when she eats fat. Assuming the sort of fats she would be eating are highly saturated ( Butter, tallow, CO etc ) this suggests to me an impaired insulin response. You can avoid insulin resistance to some extent when fat is kept very very low but it doesn't get at the root of the problem. I look at people like Danny Roddy and Haidut who seem to enjoy decent amounts of saturated fats alongside high CHO intakes with no issues. There's a lot of reason insulin can be impaired but I think two of the biggest ones are n-6 pufa mucking things up and low magnesium. Krill oil can attenuate a lot of the n-6 overload ( whether it's beneficial outside of that context I won't get into but see source below ) and eating higher magnesium foods should help.

Let's say we want to ignore insulin resistance issues for a bit, at least temporarily, by eating very low fat. Alright, now she is ravenous. My layman's instinct is she is, very inefficiently, trying to manufacture her own fats and/or get the trace amount of N-3 she needs. I think this fits her description of feeling famished constantly. This may be in part to not having the necessary calories, may also be due to her body be very wasteful in an attempt to get the things it needs through hunger. Again magnesium and krill oil would be a good strategy to consider. I want to emphasize that even a small amount of n-6 PUFAs can seriously seriously screw up things in a big way, Avoiding PUFA for a while does not necessarily resolve this issue especially if cholesterol intake is low and one avoids fasting.

So yes I agree the hunger is "appropriate" in that the body is always trying to achieve homeostasis but there may be more apt approaches than just increasing food intake. She may also be able to reach a point where higher fat intake is well tolerated and eating enough is incredibly easy, it's a matter of tackling the deeper issues first. Pedaling harder when there's a boulder tied to your bike is a bit silly.

source: Загрузка статьи ( p2-13 )

Last edited:

Vita3

Dates are good snack, I always have with me and chocolate, dried bananas too if I do not have ripe.

Something sweet to drink.

Biscuits are also a good option but they are not low fat.

OP
thegiantess

thegiantess

I agree, kind of.

Here's what we know...

a) she is ravenously hungry all the time
b) she doesn't do well with fat even if it's saturated
c) she is eating lower fat foods constantly to the point where it's becoming a bit annoying to deal with

First off, not all hunger is the same. There's more than one hormone involved and it's very much beyond my total understanding. Three of the major players are NPY, ghrelin and orexin. Of course other things can influence those hormonal responses in the same way things that are not serotonin can act on those "receptors". To my limited knowledge, NPY is heavily implicated in the sort of ravenous hunger people often describe. She didn't describe any sort of abnormal sleep patterns which orexin plays a huge part in, for example, so I don't suspect that. The specific hormones are not really necessary to consider in this instance but I think it's some interesting context and a possible avenue for further exploration.

Now, b), she says she prefers being low fat, at least to the point where it's worth being hungry all the time to avoid whatever happens when she eats fat. Assuming the sort of fats she would be eating are highly saturated ( Butter, tallow, CO etc ) this suggests to me an impaired insulin response. You can avoid insulin resistance to some extent when fat is kept very very low but it doesn't get at the root of the problem. I look at people like Danny Roddy and Haidut who seem to enjoy decent amounts of saturated fats alongside high CHO intakes with no issues. There's a lot of reason insulin can be impaired but I think two of the biggest ones are n-6 pufa mucking things up and low magnesium. Krill oil can attenuate a lot of the n-6 overload ( whether it's beneficial outside of that context I won't get into but see source below ) and eating higher magnesium foods should help.

Let's say we want to ignore insulin resistance issues for a bit, at least temporarily, by eating very low fat. Alright, now she is ravenous. My layman's instinct is she is, very inefficiently, trying to manufacture her own fats and/or get the trace amount of N-3 she needs. I think this fits her description of feeling famished constantly. This may be in part to not having the necessary calories, may also be due to her body be very wasteful in an attempt to get the things it needs through hunger. Again magnesium and krill oil would be a good strategy to consider. I want to emphasize that even a small amount of n-6 PUFAs can seriously seriously screw up things in a big way, Avoiding PUFA for a while does not necessarily resolve this issue especially if cholesterol intake is low and one avoids fasting.

So yes I agree the hunger is "appropriate" in that the body is always trying to achieve homeostasis but there may be more apt approaches than just increasing food intake. She may also be able to reach a point where higher fat intake is well tolerated and eating enough is incredibly easy, it's a matter of tackling the deeper issues first. Pedaling harder when there's a boulder tied to your bike is a bit silly.

source: Загрузка статьи ( p2-13 )

To be clear, I don't have a problem with fat, just have always eaten lowish fat and prefer to do so. I get generally around 40g fat a day from dairy and coconut oil. I do fine with more fat, just don't prefer it. As I mentioned, I was Paleo-ish for like 4-5 years and was eating much higher fat. I felt fine. I just don't really love fatty foods like a lot of people do.

Last edited:
OP
thegiantess

thegiantess

@tara Such a thoughtful response, thank you. That site you linked has a lot of good posts, even if they don't totally apply--good stuff!

I think I forget that I am basically working out all day with these two. Constantly lifting, squatting to lift, toting around, going up and downstairs to their room or to do laundry. It's non stop.

OP
thegiantess

thegiantess

Another high calorie (and salty) snack/meal I make almost daily is french fries. I can have it ready in 10 - 15 min tops.

I just put coconut oil in a pot (takes about 1/2 the container of coconut oil but I reuse it many times). Turn it on low to start melting while I prepare the potatoes. I take 2 medium potatoes (I leave the skins on), wash them, slice them lengthwise, then turn and slice again. Lay them in the coconut oil. Turn heat up to high. In a few minutes, it start boiling and I leave it on high. It is more of a soft foamy, bubbly boil and there's no spattering. I take a slotted spoon and turn them several times. In about 5 minutes they are perfectly done. Drain on a paper towel, salt liberally and dip in ketchup (or I do - lots of it).

This is a meal for me. Sometimes I make it for lunch and dinner. I usually have real-sugar Pepsi with it.

It will up your calories for sure.

I don't eat much fat other than what I get in this, and at least it is pure coconut oil.

Sounds delicious. Thanks.

tara

So yes I agree the hunger is "appropriate" in that the body is always trying to achieve homeostasis but there may be more apt approaches than just increasing food intake.
That may be the case sometimes, but when someone is obviously undereating wrt calorie needs, I think that problem needs to be addressed.
Ensuring adequate Mg is probably important.
I assume Peat would have the same cautions against krill oil as he does about all the other O3/fish oils.

tara

I don't think a baby would thrive on 200 kcal, let alone two babies.
Me too.
I haven't studied this, and I don't know if this is an accurate estimation or not, but the first link I came across suggests:
Hasbro Children’s Hospital estimates that infants ages zero to 12 months require 90 to 120 calories per kilogram of body weight, ...
How Many Calories Should a 10-Month-Old Be Eating?

So, if that's anything like, and your twins are eg 6kg, they could well be needing 1200 cals or more between them. If this is coming largely from breast-milk, mother needs more calories than that (as well as all the other nutrients) in order to synthesise the milk. Plus all the calories and other nutrients she needs to sustain herself and recover from the birth.

michael94

That may be the case sometimes, but when someone is obviously undereating wrt calorie needs, I think that problem needs to be addressed.
Ensuring adequate Mg is probably important.
I assume Peat would have the same cautions against krill oil as he does about all the other O3/fish oils.

I agree he probably would warn against krill oil but I think it's something to consider for a few reasons.

- Krill oil N-3s come in phospholipid form so they are more readily transported to the cells without being oxidized ( fish oil has them in triglyceride form )
- Krill oil is much more stable probably due to the astaxanthin, among other things, don't really know the mechanisms
- If taken alongside saturated fat you can really hedge your bets against oxidation, same goes for fish oil.
- Even viewing all PUFA in the same light, a standard dose of krill oil is only 1 G ( and not all of that is PUFA I don't think ) so it's definitely not dangerous by any stretch. You get more linoleic acid from a corn fed egg yolk most people eat.
- Krill oil has a much better clinical track record than fish oil, especially at attenuating N-6 PUFA damage. Oxidative stress goes down metabolic syndrome goes away etc.

I'm open to being convinced against it but just browsing pubmed as a layman has convinced me it probably will do more good than harm for a lot of people. All are free to come to their own conclusions of course. I take 1g krill oil with ~1 tbsp butter in coffee and a little chocolate chip size glob of lotioncrafter vit E. Effects are very nice but n =1

michael94

@michael94 are you still taking Krill oil and can you elaborate on the very nice effects (either back then or now)?
No haven't taken it in a long time. I don't think it's too bad though, I think my statement from 7 years ago is pretty reasonable I just haven't felt the desire to take it. I've also been vegetarian since around Summer of that year

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals