Always Hungry.

thegiantess

As the title suggests, I am always hungry. I am 6.5 months post partum and have lost more weight than I gained with my pregnancy. I track all my food in cronometer and usually get around 2000-220o calories a day and am usually on low on iodine, vit e and sometimes potassium. I don't really have time to eat more food because... Babies. I find that I feel so much better when I eat lower fat, so it's hard to get that many calories of nutrient dense things that aren't fat laden.

Any thoughts of why I would be always hungry? My calories are a little low, but I'm seriously always famished. When I actually have time for a full meal I eat a ton.. Family members are always joking I have a tapeworm. Could it be a vitamin deficiency?

I'm 5'7'' about 150 pounds. I used to be an athlete so I'm lean-ish. I have excess fat in butt and thighs, but ya know the whole post pregnancy and being a woman thing.

I am a "bio hacker" of sorts so I have tons of labs if that will be helpful to anyone, let me know! TIA

michael94

Omega 6s like linoleic acid really screw up proper leptin and hunger signaling. That's what the post was about, it applies to anyone with a significant amount of omega6 PUFAs not just the obese.

OP
thegiantess

thegiantess

Omega 6s like linoleic acid really screw up proper leptin and hunger signaling. That's what the post was about, it applies to anyone with a significant amount of omega6 PUFAs not just the obese.

The article suggested the leptin signaling is off. So one eats more and more and gets fatter and fatter. I eat more and lose.

I have also been very low pufa for like 20 years and very low fat in general for 15 of those. For the past 4-5 years I was Paleo -ish and so avoided most pufa. Before that I was a child of the 90s so I was fat phobic and so avoided pretty much all dietary fat.

OP
thegiantess

thegiantess

Whats wrong with eating more food?

I mentioned in my post that I don't have time really. And I prefer to eat lowfat and it's hard to add more calories of nutrient dense food that isn't always high fat. Any suggestions?

J

jb116

yea thegiantess, it sounds like you just simply need to eat more. Why not just have some more food and see how you feel?

I see you mention a time issue but c'mon really? :) When you eat, have some more.
We want to see you satiated.

OP
thegiantess

thegiantess

yea thegiantess, it sounds like you just simply need to eat more. Why not just have some more food and see how you feel?

I see you mention a time issue but c'mon really? :) When you eat, have some more.

Ha. Fair enough. I try, I really do. But having 6.5 month old twins means I have to eat quickly and don't have a lot of time for eating between meals. I guess I was thinking my calorie intake was decent and so to be this hungry might suggest an issue or deficiency.

J

jb116

Ha. Fair enough. I try, I really do. But having 6.5 month old twins means I have to eat quickly and don't have a lot of time for eating between meals. I guess I was thinking my calorie intake was decent and so to be this hungry might suggest an issue or deficiency.

I understand. And calorie requirements to me are on a case by case basis. Sure there are some default values based on certain parameters, but just as we've heard Ray mention how the Russians would account for the brain in calculating metabolism and so every individual may have different aspects of their brain working at different rates or intensity. Meaning, we all need to adjust calories, +/-, to account for these differences. You may simply need more food. I'd rather see somebody do something as safe and simple as eating a bit more, observing how they feel, then to panic or stress that they may have a deficiency!

James_001

I mentioned in my post that I don't have time really. And I prefer to eat lowfat and it's hard to add more calories of nutrient dense food that isn't always high fat. Any suggestions?

I can put like five hundred calories into my mouth and belly in like two minutes...

Ulla

Try with dried fruits? Easy to eat more calories with dried fruits.
Or maybe put honey/jams into foods... to make more calories dense meals. I also think that 2200 kcal maybe isn't enough. I am guessing you are breastfeeding (twins) so many calories acquired :)
I also eat low fat as possible (these days) and I need at least 2400 kcal a day so I don't go hungry into bed.

Peata

Some fast/easy ideas from me:

Protein shake you can make in one of those shaker cups with the metal ball. I use casein powder and 1 c. skim milk, sometimes spoon of coffee and cocoa. I put sugar or fructose in of course. This is over 250 calories. This is what I eat within 30 min of getting up most days. Especially if I have to get up early because I rarely have an appetite for foods early, but I can sip on this fine.

Another one that's over 250 calories - stir sugar or fructose or honey into 1 c. nonfat greek yogurt, add drained canned fruit. The canned fruit with the pop off lids instead of having to use can opener saves more time. Frozen fruit if you want.

Ulla's dried fruit suggestion is good. It's easy to eat a lot of it once you start.

Amazoniac

Wait.. Where's tara?

Edit to add: leaving aside the foods that don't require cooking like dairy and fruits, you can prepare in advance. There are many videos on Youtube from body builders doing that; and you don't need to do extreme stuff like a whole week. One time a day is enough to prepare for the next 2 meals or something like that..

Last edited:
OP
thegiantess

thegiantess

@Peata I will definitely try dried fruit. I always forget that.. Tho, I'm not sure it will help with hunger, but will def help get calories up. I wish there were more nutrient dense salty snacks that were also lowfat. Salt is often what sounds good when I'm desperate. Thanks!

OP
thegiantess

thegiantess

Honey is another good option, any ideas for lowfat salty things? I'm also hungry when going to bed or an hour or so later. I'll wake up bc I hear a baby on the monitor and notice I'm hungry. For a while I thought it was thirst, but liquids haven't helped.

Peata

@Peata I will definitely try dried fruit. I always forget that.. Tho, I'm not sure it will help with hunger, but will def help get calories up. I wish there were more nutrient dense salty snacks that were also lowfat. Salt is often what sounds good when I'm desperate. Thanks!

Another high calorie (and salty) snack/meal I make almost daily is french fries. I can have it ready in 10 - 15 min tops.

I just put coconut oil in a pot (takes about 1/2 the container of coconut oil but I reuse it many times). Turn it on low to start melting while I prepare the potatoes. I take 2 medium potatoes (I leave the skins on), wash them, slice them lengthwise, then turn and slice again. Lay them in the coconut oil. Turn heat up to high. In a few minutes, it start boiling and I leave it on high. It is more of a soft foamy, bubbly boil and there's no spattering. I take a slotted spoon and turn them several times. In about 5 minutes they are perfectly done. Drain on a paper towel, salt liberally and dip in ketchup (or I do - lots of it).

This is a meal for me. Sometimes I make it for lunch and dinner. I usually have real-sugar Pepsi with it.

It will up your calories for sure.

I don't eat much fat other than what I get in this, and at least it is pure coconut oil.

tara

Wait.. Where's tara?
Hi. Doesn't look like you all need me here. But I can't resist adding my 2c. :)

I track all my food in cronometer and usually get around 2000-220o calories a day and am usually on low on iodine, vit e and sometimes potassium.

Any thoughts of why I would be always hungry? My calories are a little low, but I'm seriously always famished. When I actually have time for a full meal I eat a ton.. Family members are always joking I have a tapeworm. Could it be a vitamin deficiency?

This would probably not be quite enough enough even if you weren't mothering.

Gwyneth Olwyn said:
Here are the guidelines for when 3500 calories applies as a minimum daily intake for recovery:
You are an under 25 year old male between 5’4” and 6’0” (162.5 and 183 cm) or female with young children or an equivalent and unavoidable level of activity.
I Need How Many Calories?!!

I think this probably gives rough guide for a post-partum mother even with no history of eating disorders. Taking care of babies is constant work - non-parents can underestimate (and grandparents forget) how much energy this takes.
This is why you are always hungry.
You can't make up for this with micronutrients.
Are you breastfeeding too?

:)

I know it's hard to make time for enough food while looking after babies. But they need you to be well-nourished for many years to come - you don't do them any favours by further depleting yourself now.

Your family may just have no idea of your needs, so you'll probably have to rely on your own informed judgement, rather than their unrealistic perspectives.

I disagree - this post is not about inappropriate hunger - the hunger is there for a very good reason, and is best simply obeyed.

Good ideas upthread. More thoughts:
Mix up a big bottle every day of milk, juice concentrate, honey, optional cream, whatever else you like in it (eg coffee, ceylon cinnamon, salt, whatever tastes good to you). Make it as calorie dense as you can enjoy by adding more honey or sucrose. Add protein if you want - eg cottage cheese or powders if necessary. Drink as much as you feel like at least every hour.
Make a big jar of chocolate sauce out of sweetened condensed milk, cocoa or chocolate, optionally coconut oil. Eat a big spoonful or two often.
Dates. Dunked in salt.
Mashed potatoes made with milk or cream and salt. Or turn it into a soup with stock, veges, herbs, and make it thick enough to have lots of calories, but still easy enough to eat fast.
I like the sound of Peata's chips, but itf you can't bring yourself to that much oil, you can bake them in as much or as little coconut oil as you want. You can bake a kilo or more of potato chips with 20g coconut oil if you want (but might taste better with more). Downside with these is the time it takes to peel spuds (but as Peata says, you can skip this if you need to). Upside is easy to add lots of salt.
Rice pudding doesn't take much time to make or eat. Rice, milk, sugar, cinnamon or whatever you like, raisins or other dried fruit if you like. Jam or stewed fruit on top if you like. You can make a big batch to last you a 2-3 days.
More time consuming, but good protein and calorie density: homemade cheesecake - fresh curd, eggs, sugar, flavour - I like lemon juice best.
Milky gelatine puddings: gelatine, milk, sugar, flavour.
Custard.
Icecream.
If you are drinking any water, switch it out of milk or juice. If you drink coffee, make it with milk and lots of sugar. Hot sweet milky cocoa can be nice with supper (I'd still be doing it if I could handle all the milk). You might find you can add a pinch of salt to this too.
Put snacks by the bed. While you can. I had to stop this when mine got the the grab-everything stage, or put things in plastic jars with resistant lids. :)
I had bananas by the bed for night-waking snacks (so i could go back to sleep) and before getting up in the morning (else I got morning sick - long into post-partum), but eventually I got averse to bananas - for me it might have been better to limit to one a day. Since then I had a screw top jar of dates by the bed for when needed. You can eat honey or coconut oil off the spoon in seconds.
For extra portable snacks you can carry easy, dried fruit, crystalised ginger, cheese, chocolate, fudge, candies, a bottle of juice.

Honey is another good option, any ideas for low-fat salty things? I'm also hungry when going to bed or an hour or so later. I'll wake up bc I hear a baby on the monitor and notice I'm hungry. For a while I thought it was thirst, but liquids haven't helped.
I was struggling with this too. I've gradually learned to be really generous with salt on anything savoury I eat, eg liver, eggs, spuds, carrot salad. But you can dunk dried fruit and chocolate etc in salt if you need to and like it. For a while I was adding a little salt to Oj or milky coffee. I have a jar of salt in the car in case of need (and dates and crystalised ginger in the glove box, because it keeps well.)

If you can't get in enough food going low fat, add more coconut oil, whole milk,
cream, butter, where-ever it will taste good.

Or relax some more restrictions, and eat shortbread or chokky bikkies or toast when you need to. :)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals