Aluminum foil pans, with baking paper

Dobbler

I have been using aluminum foil pans for daily potato making for long time, few years probably. I have always baking paper that is greaseproof covering the whole aluminum pan. Is there any danger that i have absorbed aluminum from those pans? I have never went above 230 celsius and there has always been that baking paper protecting the food, salt has been on top of the potatoes most of the time, not in contact with the aluminum.
Thank you.

I have been using aluminum foil pans for daily potato making for long time, few years probably. I have always baking paper that is greaseproof covering the whole aluminum pan. Is there any danger that i have absorbed aluminum from those pans? I have never went above 230 celsius and there has always been that baking paper protecting the food, salt has been on top of the potatoes most of the time, not in contact with the aluminum.
Thank you.

I think it is fine. I use the same method, covering my pan with parchment paper for roasting veggies and such. It actually cooks the food better too don't you think? The food around the edges don't burn with the paper.

OP
D

Dobbler

And just to be clear i use those food store foil pans that come in packages that have several and are meant to use only once or twice

David PS

And just to be clear i use those food store foil pans that come in packages that have several and are meant to use only once or twice

Pure aluminum metal melts at 1218°F (659°C). Aluminum foil melts at a lower temperature but not at cooking temperatures. Vaporization of the aluminum in the foil is not an issue at normal cooking temperatures. So, aluminum will not be absorbed into your foods from being in the oven with the foil pan. However, the food should not touch the foil. The no touching rule is not only a no-no during cooking but also when wrapping and storing leftovers. Just continue to be careful.

OP
D

Dobbler

Pure aluminum metal melts at 1218°F (659°C). Aluminum foil melts at a lower temperature but not at cooking temperatures. Vaporization of the aluminum in the foil is not an issue at normal cooking temperatures. So, aluminum will not be absorbed into your foods from being in the oven with the foil pan. However, the food should not touch the foil. The no touching rule is not only a no-no during cooking but also when wrapping and storing leftovers. Just continue to be careful.

Is the baking paper enough to prevent it from touching it? There is hardly any oil beneath if i lift the baking paper up so that means the oil is not passing through the paper. Thanks for the answer.

David PS

Is the baking paper enough to prevent it from touching it? There is hardly any oil beneath if i lift the baking paper up so that means the oil is not passing through the paper. Thanks for the answer.

I worked in the aluminum industry for 15 years. I have never worked in the parchment paper industry. From what I read online, parchment paper is the way to go. I can only assume that it provides enough of a barrier.

OP
D

Dobbler

Yes i think that's the right word, parchment paper, i was going for. It says on the label it tolerates heat up to 250 celsius (482 F). I hope it has been enough... f*ck.

David PS

Yes i think that's the right word, parchment paper, i was going for. It says on the label it tolerates heat up to 250 celsius (482 F). I hope it has been enough... f*ck.
I think your correct and that it is well tolerated at your cooling temperatures. I suspect that at temperatures above its upper limit it would burn or at least char.

OP
D

Dobbler

If it is compact enough to prevent fat going through , do you think it works on aluminum?

David PS

Eberhardt

I was trying to find a comprehensive list but didnt find one, BUT sorry non-stick paper is toxic.... it gives of all kinds of fumes. Not those that are treated with wax but they dont tolerate the oven heat. All bleachef ones release dioxins, and they are often treated with anything from fluoride and teflon(chloride based) to silicone. And theres endocrine disruptor concerns..https://sciencenordic.com/birth-denmark-the-body/endocrine-disrupters-in-food-and-clothing-replaced-by-equally-dangerous-chemicals/1417724

OP
D

Dobbler

I was trying to find a comprehensive list but didnt find one, BUT sorry non-stick paper is toxic.... it gives of all kinds of fumes. Not those that are treated with wax but they dont tolerate the oven heat. All bleachef ones release dioxins, and they are often treated with anything from fluoride and teflon(chloride based) to silicone. And theres endocrine disruptor concerns..https://sciencenordic.com/birth-denmark-the-body/endocrine-disrupters-in-food-and-clothing-replaced-by-equally-dangerous-chemicals/1417724
The one im using is non bleached and waxed from both sides, it says to tolerate heat up to 250 celsius and im using 225 max. The paper is never burned. Do you think it blocks the aluminum? Im more concerned about that.

Eberhardt

The one im using is non bleached and waxed from both sides, it says to tolerate heat up to 250 celsius and im using 225 max. The paper is never burned. Do you think it blocks the aluminum? Im more concerned about that.
Thats impressive. If you trust that there are no unlisted chemicals it sounds good! I would think it mostly blocks it. I think the food binding with the aluminum on contact is the main problem, so keeping the pan dry and out of contact should be safe. I think the fuming is negligable, but no guarantees.

Edit. Is it "natural" wax not petroleum wax?

Last edited:
OP
D

Dobbler

Thats impressive. If you trust that there are no unlisted chemicals it sounds good! I would think it mostly blocks it. I think the food binding with the aluminum on contact is the main problem, so keeping the pan dry and out of contact should be safe. I think the fuming is negligable, but no guarantees.

Edit. Is it "natural" wax not petroleum wax?
I have no idea what wax it is

Vajra

What brand? Any product I've seen so far that calls itself 'wax paper' states it's unusable for baking etc.

ddjd

@David PS slightly different question but if I'm slow cooking some lamb in a ceramic tray and need to use aluminium foil as a lid to keep the moisture in, could that be risky with regards to aluminium leeching into the food??

David PS

@David PS slightly different question but if I'm slow cooking some lamb in a ceramic tray and need to use aluminium foil as a lid to keep the moisture in, could that be risky with regards to aluminium leeching into the food??
I do not know. But I think that it much less risky than using an aluminium pan or placing the meat (lamb) directly onto the aluminum foil. When using an aluminium pan, the weight of the meat touching the alumunium creates a good contact with the meat and the contact lasts for the duration of the cooking. It is that physical contact which is the main issue. When using foil as a cover, it may not involve the foil actually touching the meat while cooking. Or it may only be only an incidental touching.