Altitude Living

stevensmith

I'm putting together a blog article about the benefits of altitude. Anybody want to share what you know? Details, details...

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Heck I wish I knew something. With all this talk about altitude making you healthier I sometimes think of moving. :lol:

OP
S

stevensmith

I think I found all my answers to my questions about altitude. I am set on moving to Colorado now. Altitude increases T3, testosterone, and normalizes hormones. It also prevents lactate buildup. All good things. It does more too, but I dont feel like going into it right now. Here is my blog post on it....

http://www.systemicvitality.com/myblog/ ... mones.html

Rem

What would be the minimal effective altitude ? I believe Peat says that but I can't remember.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
cmoore85 said:
the sun is safer at altitude says peat contrary to popular belief
Wow! I need to read his high altitude article. Just posted it up to the forum today.

Seems like a lot of popular belief lately is wrong. :banghead

Beam me up to the high mountains!
:beammeup

Birdie

For me, the question is where. I don't want to be cold so that rules out some beautiful places.

kettlebell

Altitude. Because the air is thinner (The %ages of each gas in air don't change, there is just less of it) your body automatically retains more CO2 which increases the ability to absorb oxygen. This is the one and only cause of all of the beneficial things steve mentions above as its the only thing that changes at altitude - air pressure.

Altitude sickness is caused by a lack of retention of enough co2 thanks to lower metabolism - Something MANY "Fit" and "Healthy" mountain climbers have without realising it. That is why people who climb mountains say "It can strike anyone, regardless of how fit they are" - They just don't understand whats going on. An athlete can (And likely will) have a low metabolism hence why a really fit strong person can easily come down with altitude sickness and it confuses everyone because they consider that person healthy and "Fit". For the same reason, someone who does the minimal amount of training for a big climb, who climbers may consider unfit could have a really healthy metabolism (High CO2) and manage the climb without issue of altitude sickness while many of his "Fit" co-climbers get sick.

Best way to keep altitude sickness at bay? As you climb, do bag breathing regularly when you stop. Easy, simple and likely very effective OR just make sure you have a high, healthy metabolism before you go. Someone needs to tell the climbers this.

Anecdotally, a new altitude sickness prevention and reversing drug has just come out. What does it do? Its effect is to dramatically increases CO2 volume in the body.

Birdie

RP
When the weather in a particular place is cool, sunny and dry (which in itself is very good for the health) the atmospheric pressure usually is higher than average. Although sunny dry weather is healthful, periods of higher pressure correspond to an increased incidence of death from heart disease and strokes.

The Haldane-Bohr effect describes the fact that oxygen and carbon dioxide destabilize each other’s binding to hemoglobin. When oxygen pressure is high, the blood releases its carbon dioxide more easily. In stormy weather, or at high altitude, the lower oxygen pressure allows the body to retain more carbon dioxide. Carbon dioxide, produced in the cells, releases oxygen into the tissues, relaxes blood vessels, prevents edema, eliminates ammonia, and increases the efficiency of oxidative metabolism.

I can't quite put this together. The sentence, "Although sunny dry weather is healthful, periods of higher pressure.... increased... death from heart disease and strokes."

Parsifal

Birdie said:
post 5016 RP
When the weather in a particular place is cool, sunny and dry (which in itself is very good for the health) the atmospheric pressure usually is higher than average. Although sunny dry weather is healthful, periods of higher pressure correspond to an increased incidence of death from heart disease and strokes.

The Haldane-Bohr effect describes the fact that oxygen and carbon dioxide destabilize each other’s binding to hemoglobin. When oxygen pressure is high, the blood releases its carbon dioxide more easily. In stormy weather, or at high altitude, the lower oxygen pressure allows the body to retain more carbon dioxide. Carbon dioxide, produced in the cells, releases oxygen into the tissues, relaxes blood vessels, prevents edema, eliminates ammonia, and increases the efficiency of oxidative metabolism.

I can't quite put this together. The sentence, "Although sunny dry weather is healthful, periods of higher pressure.... increased... death from heart disease and strokes."
Strange indeed... Anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:

Birdie

I think I'm starting to get it.
Maybe.

This might fit together with what I've been noticing lately regarding barometric pressure. When my head feels bogged and I check the weather page, the pressure is up. So, it may be sunny out, but if the pressure goes up, bad things can happen health wise. People with fibromyalgia have discussed this on forums.

There is some consensus that the best place for FM people is a place with more even pressure. I think San Diego and Honolulu are the big winners for even pressure. No where near where I am. I bet the pressure is up here today. My mind is mush and I feel under water. :)

tara

Sunshine seems to do me good, but some quick pressure change patterns seem to be potential negative triggers for me.

Birdie

Yes. It's good to know. And also that it will pass. (A couple of years ago I considered moving to one of those more stable pressure areas.). Like a lot of others, I considered a high altitude move too.

theLaw

Currently listening to UFC fighter Cat Zingano describe how she moved from Denver to San Diego based on advice from the Mayo Clinic because the high-altitude was harmful for healing her injuries.

Beastmode

What would be the minimal effective altitude ? I believe Peat says that but I can't remember.

Email with Ray:

ME: "What is the minimal elevation (i.e- 5000 ft) that you've found through your studies/experience that are most likely to have a strong effect on helping someone heal?"

RP; "Health effects are already evident at 4000 feet."

Mauritio

How often should one do bag breathing for altidute sickness prevention? Is 2 times a day enough ?

What else helps against it , I think vitmain b1 might help as it inhibits carbonic anhydrase as well.

Waynish

Currently listening to UFC fighter Cat Zingano describe how she moved from Denver to San Diego based on advice from the Mayo Clinic because the high-altitude was harmful for healing her injuries.

The way she keeps abruptly breathing in while she's talking reminds me of Ray's speech/breath patterns. I watched the first minute or so where she claims she'll be hypothyroid forever. The thyroid is in the throat, so I can't see why it wouldn't be part of the breathing system. I don't need T3, but the few times I took it for experimentation's sake I noticed shorter more shallow breathing.

Lejeboca

How often should one do bag breathing for altidute sickness prevention? Is 2 times a day enough ?

What else helps against it , I think vitmain b1 might help as it inhibits carbonic anhydrase as well.

I've successfully used Coca 30c going to 3,800 meters.