Alternative To Coffee - What About Guarana?

Mr Rossi

I like coffee a lot but I'm very sensitive to it and got always bloated.
Is a Guarana drink with cacao and milk an option?
It could be an alternative to the caffeine in coffee.
Any thoughts or experience?

paymanz

i dont know about guarana,probably i took some from energy drinks.

but my suggestion is tea!

with tea you get caffeine,theanine and manganese.

paymanz

Most of vegetables have some fluoride as well,maybe more or less than tea...

Demyze

with tea you get caffeine,theanine and manganese.

Don't forget the dose of estrogen!

Effects of tea polyphenols and flavonoids on liver microsomal glucuronidation of estradiol and estrone.
"These two hydroxylated flavonoids had a competitive mechanism of enzyme inhibition for estrone glucuronidation at a 10 microM inhibitor concentration and a predominantly noncompetitive mechanism of inhibition at a 50 microM inhibitor concentration."

Flavonoids and polyphenols, like our own estrogens, suppress the detoxifying systems of the body. -Ray Peat, PhD

http://www.functionalps.com/blog/2011/12/02/green-tea-and-estrogen/

Demyze

I like coffee a lot but I'm very sensitive to it and got always bloated.
Is a Guarana drink with cacao and milk an option?
It could be an alternative to the caffeine in coffee.
Any thoughts or experience?

Do you mind if I ask how you're preparing it? I'm surprised it's causing bloating-usually it has the opposite effect in most people, if we're talking about digestive bloating. Possibly an adrenaline response from too much caffeine at one time can change the vascular tone; as Ray has said.

paymanz

Don't forget the dose of estrogen!

Effects of tea polyphenols and flavonoids on liver microsomal glucuronidation of estradiol and estrone.
"These two hydroxylated flavonoids had a competitive mechanism of enzyme inhibition for estrone glucuronidation at a 10 microM inhibitor concentration and a predominantly noncompetitive mechanism of inhibition at a 50 microM inhibitor concentration."

Flavonoids and polyphenols, like our own estrogens, suppress the detoxifying systems of the body. -Ray Peat, PhD

http://www.functionalps.com/blog/2011/12/02/green-tea-and-estrogen/

the concentration of tea they used in water is not that much,so maybe tea drinking can be that estrogenic.interesting.i always thought that the amount of phenols is not that much to effect body.
i think if you take a theanine supplement then just coffee is great, but otherwise the theanine in tea is so valuable.

+ btw the part you quoted from the study seems to be about Naringenin and hesperetin,but other parts about tea is interesting.
can anyone calculate the numbers in that study to see how many cups of tea should be drink to reach that levels?

Last edited:

paymanz

i also agree with demyze on method of preparing coffee, the bloating may come from the coffee's fibers.

southcesar

Bump for interest. In Brazil there are guaraná soft drinks, the most famous is "Guaraná Antarctica". The ingredients are: carbonated water, sugar, guarana extract, acidic citric acid, preservatives: sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate, flavoring

boris

@Cesar Motta about potassium sorbate:
Peat has said in the past it is mutagenic. After a quick Google search I found this:

Does potassium sorbate induce genotoxic or mutagenic effects in lymphocytes? - ScienceDirect

"From the results, PS is clearly seen to be genotoxic to the human peripheral blood lymphocytes in vitro."

I wouldn't avoid eating it in a food that was tasty, but I personally wouldn't make the food a staple of the diet you eat daily.

The "natu" version looks good!
93db6e95064439.Y3JvcCw0NDkyLDM1MTQsMjMzLDA.jpg

southcesar

@Cesar Motta about potassium sorbate:

The "natu" version looks good!
93db6e95064439.Y3JvcCw0NDkyLDM1MTQsMjMzLDA.jpg
This version is tasty and has no preservatives, but it has no sugar (it has stevia) and hibiscus (I don't know if it's peaty). The original one that I mentioned looks like this

Attachments

• images (94).jpeg
    images (94).jpeg
    25.1 KB · Views: 9

boris

Oh, too bad. Maybe it has enough sugar from the fruit extracts? I can't find a nutritional table for it.

The "WEWI" brand looks good, too. No potassium sorbate in there.
guarana_lata-250x600-1.png

southcesar

Oh, too bad. Maybe it has enough sugar from the fruit extracts? I can't find a nutritional table for it.

The "WEWI" brand looks good, too. No potassium sorbate in there.
guarana_lata-250x600-1.png
The "natu" one have: carbonated water, concentrated clarified pear juice, concentrated clarified apple juice, concentrated lemon juice, apple concentrate, carrot and hibiscus, guarana extract. natural flavors and sweetener staviol glycosides. This WEWI I never actually taste it.

Attachments

• 07.png
    07.png
    231.6 KB · Views: 10

southcesar

The WEWI ingredients: carbonated water, organic demerara sugar, organic guarana extract, natural acidic citric acid, natural aroma and natural caramel coloring (caramel I).