Aloe Vera Juice

Dean

I'm wondering what people's experience is with this stuff? I'm most interested in it in terms of promoting bowel motility. Dr. Peat mentioned it once at the beginning of his article on cascara and constipation, but never brought it up again. It seems to be a more benign (perhaps less effective?) option to cascara. With the ambiguity around the ability to get quality cascara, aloe vera juice may be something worth trying out first and, if it works, it seems like it would be safer for longer term use.

Thoughts, experiences?

TreasureVibe

1) Aloe Vera Is Anti-Inflammatory
In a study (DB-RCT) of 40 volunteers, topical aloe vera gel application on their backs reduced UV-ray induced inflammation. Aloe vera gel was better at reducing inflammation and redness than hydrocortisone cream [R].

In human colon cells, aloe vera gel dose-dependently inhibited inflammation. Aloe vera has potential in treating inflammatory bowel disease [R].

Aloe vera gel also suppressed inflammatory markers in human immune cells [R].

In mice, topical aloe vera application on their ears also reduced inflammation (that was caused by an irritant) [R].

Aloe vera’s anti-inflammatory effects come from its ability to reduce PGE2production and stop the cyclooxygenase pathway [R].

Aloe vera also suppresses other inflammatory markers like TNF-a and IL-1B[R].

It contains C-glucosyl chrome, an anti-inflammatory compound [R].

2) Aloe Vera Is Antimicrobial
In an RCT of 390 people, aloe vera mouthwash was as effective as antibacterial chemicals in removing plaque. After thirty days, the aloe vera group also had healthier gums and less plaque compared to the controls [R].

Herpes simplex is a virus that can cause cold sores and other diseases in the mouth. Aloe vera gel can kill herpes simplex virus without being toxic to other cells [R].

Aloin (extracted from aloe vera) inactivated several viruses (influenza, herpes simplex, and varicella zoster) [R].

Water and alcohol aloe vera extracts can inhibit gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria, although the alcoholic extract is more efficient. The extracts inhibited Enterococcus bovis, Staphylococcus aureus, E. coli, Proteus vulgaris, P. mirabilis, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Morganella morganii, and Klebsiella pneumoniae [R].

Purified aloe vera protein also inhibited fungal growth (Candida paraprilosis, C. krusei, and C. albicans) [R].

Aloe vera contains antimicrobial compounds (phenols, sulfur, salicylic acid, lupeol, urea nitrogen, and cinnamonic acid), which inhibit viruses, bacteria, and fungi [R].

Aloe vera breaks bacterial cells to stop their growth [R].

3) Aloe Vera Boosts the Immune System
Aloe vera contains many antioxidants – Vitamin C and E, flavonoids, tannins, and carotenoids. By stopping oxidative damage, the antioxidants can protect the immune system [R].

In guinea pigs, alprogen (an aloe vera constituent), inhibited mast cell formation. Mast cells are white blood cells that may cause inflammation and hypersensitivity or allergic reactions. When alprogen inhibited mast cell formation, it prevented histamine and leukotriene release and prevented allergic reactions [R].

Aloe vera extract also caused mice’s white blood cells to release interleukin-1and tumor necrosis factor, which stimulates the immune system [R].

Aloeride, a sugar from aloe vera juice, activates white blood cells (macrophages), which also stimulates immune system function [R].

4) Aloe Vera Is Anti-Cancer
Various aloe vera polyphenols stopped cancer growth in human cells. Both aloe-emodin and emodin inhibited skin cancer cell growth. Also, combining aloe-emodin with chemotherapy drugs (5-fluorouracil, abiplastin, and adriablastin) enhanced their effects [R].

Polysaccharides from aloe gel extract prevent carcinogens from forming [R, R].

Various aloe vera constituents (emodin, aloin, and anthracene) inactivate cancer molecular pathways [R].

Source: 11 Proven Benefits of Aloe Vera - with Mechanisms and Side Effects - Selfhacked

I wonder if it's Peat approved!!

Dave Clark

Check out Stockton Aloe, or Apex Aloe for good aloe products, but be advised that these do not include the quinones that cause bowel motility. That comes from the outer skin of the aloe leaves, which Stockton doesn't include, and Apex Aloe has a patented process that removes them. Their focus is on the other health promoting compounds in the aloe plant. But these two are probably the best aloe you can get.

TreasureVibe

Check out Stockton Aloe, or Apex Aloe for good aloe products, but be advised that these do not include the quinones that cause bowel motility. That comes from the outer skin of the aloe leaves, which Stockton doesn't include, and Apex Aloe has a patented process that removes them. Their focus is on the other health promoting compounds in the aloe plant. But these two are probably the best aloe you can get.
Thanks, will check it out. Do you know if the Stockton Aloe has the anti-pathogenic effects in the gut that regular aloe vera has?

Dave Clark

Thanks, will check it out. Do you know if the Stockton Aloe has the anti-pathogenic effects in the gut that regular aloe vera has?
Stockton aloe is fresh aloe gel, sans the outer skin. I comes frozen, it has nothing added such as preservatives. If the outer skin of the leaves has the benefits you mention (of which I am not up to speed on), then Stockton would not, unless those anti-pathogenic properties were also found in the gel. Apex Aloe uses the whole leaf, but they do something to take out the compounds that cause loose bowels. I sort of believe both would have the health promoting properties that you would be looking for, but I am not certain. They do respond to product questions.

yerrag

I have a thriving population of aloe Vera in my backyard. Once I figured out it doesn't like too much rain and too much sun, it kept on multiplying.

Since I want the quinone to be included in what I take in from the aloe plant, how do I extract it? I suppose I can get all the skin together, and put in molasses, as well as gin, and let it steep. for a week, and then get the extract, like I would with other herbs such as oregano.

I'll then mix the extract with the aloe juice from the inside flesh. If I steep it with gin made from juniper berries and aged in wooden oaks, it would also have pinenes and tannins.

I would then be able to get something that has some of the potency of gin and tonic. The tonic water has quinone in them.