Almost half of obese adults are (metabolically) healthy

haidut

Forum Supporter
A seemingly contradictory title, but only to people who are not aware of the so-called "obesity paradox". As I have mentioned in the past, usage of the word "paradox" usually implies a very inconvenient truth that threatens the profits of one or more branches of mainstream medicine. In this case of the obesity "paradox", it is very embarrassing to doctors that, on average, their recommendations for weight loss at all costs (restrictive dieting, exercise, drugs, and even surgery) result in patients with much higher risk of both getting and dying from a condition such as cancer, IBD, multiple sclerosis, infectious disease, etc. Even in cases of acute trauma such as accidents or being victims of violent crime (e.g. getting shot/stabbed) the obese usually have a much better chance of survival compared to their lean, "healthy" peers who follow religiously the latest and greatest recommendations from their licensed nutritionist, doctor, coach, etc. The new study below now quantifies the obesity paradox on a national level and suggests that 40%+ of obese people are in fact metabolically healthy and without increased risk of chronic diseases. In fact, the authors of the study are proposing a new medical term - metabolically healthy obesity (MHO) - that can be used to properly "diagnose" such people (and hopefully tame a bit the overzealous advocates of leanness). So, the next time your doctor admonishes you on your "excessive" weight/gluttony, you may want to show him/her the study below.

An Empirically Derived Definition of Metabolically Healthy Obesity Based on Risk of Mortality
"...But a new study published on May 7 in the JAMA Network Open has revealed that not all obese people have the same risk of serious health issues. In fact, they found that 40 percent of obese people in the U.S. were not at a higher risk of cardiovascular disease or death. In fact, the study found that people with a body mass index (BMI) of 30 or more, which is considered obese, were found to be "metabolically healthy" if they had three things in particular."

"...The scientists behind the new study looked at 386,420 individuals and they found that obese people with normal blood pressure levels, a relatively low waist-to-hip ratio (WHR), and no existing type 2 diabetes were not an increased risk of heart disease or death, leading them to define people who meet these metrics as having "metabolically healthy obesity (MHO)."

A seemingly contradictory title, but only to people who are not aware of the so-called "obesity paradox". As I have mentioned in the past, usage of the word "paradox" usually implies a very inconvenient truth that threatens the profits of one or more branches of mainstream medicine. In this case of the obesity "paradox", it is very embarrassing to doctors that, on average, their recommendations for weight loss at all costs (restrictive dieting, exercise, drugs, and even surgery) result in patients with much higher risk of both getting and dying from a condition such as cancer, IBD, multiple sclerosis, infectious disease, etc. Even in cases of acute trauma such as accidents or being victims of violent crime (e.g. getting shot/stabbed) the obese usually have a much better chance of survival compared to their lean, "healthy" peers who follow religiously the latest and greatest recommendations from their licensed nutritionist, doctor, coach, etc. The new study below now quantifies the obesity paradox on a national level and suggests that 40%+ of obese people are in fact metabolically healthy and without increased risk of chronic diseases. In fact, the authors of the study are proposing a new medical term - metabolically healthy obesity (MHO) - that can be used to properly "diagnose" such people (and hopefully tame a bit the overzealous advocates of leanness). So, the next time your doctor admonishes you on your "excessive" weight/gluttony, you may want to show him/her the study below.

An Empirically Derived Definition of Metabolically Healthy Obesity Based on Risk of Mortality
"...But a new study published on May 7 in the JAMA Network Open has revealed that not all obese people have the same risk of serious health issues. In fact, they found that 40 percent of obese people in the U.S. were not at a higher risk of cardiovascular disease or death. In fact, the study found that people with a body mass index (BMI) of 30 or more, which is considered obese, were found to be "metabolically healthy" if they had three things in particular."

"...The scientists behind the new study looked at 386,420 individuals and they found that obese people with normal blood pressure levels, a relatively low waist-to-hip ratio (WHR), and no existing type 2 diabetes were not an increased risk of heart disease or death, leading them to define people who meet these metrics as having "metabolically healthy obesity (MHO)."
It is all about what food was eaten to create that body of fat that makes all the difference! The same in reverse, just because somebody is thin does not mean they are in good health. There has been too much judging a book by it's cover going on, and for a very long time!

yerrag

I'm not buying into this. This just absolves this forum of its inability to keep people from getting overweight and/or obese in following Ray Peat's recommendations for a nutrition lifestyle centered on sugar metabolism.

If the metabolism of sugar were efficient, people would not be obese. But people here don't know how to make it efficient. It's not that hard. There is a method to the madness. Unfortunately, Ray Peat has never been obese. So he can't lead the flock to the promised land of normality in weight.

Last edited:

yerrag

MHO is an oxymoron.

It's getting into the PC concept that being fat is beautiful.

The idea that it's better to be sick than to be sicker is what that study is saying. And it's not wrong. When doctors and dietitians and the experts are leading people into doing unhealthful things to lose weight.

So, the alternative is to accept one's obesity and be healthier by doing-nothing. As one is MHO.

MHO is an oxymoron.

It's getting into the PC concept that being fat is beautiful, but rather some things about having the extra weight made some survival situations

The idea that it's better to be sick than to be sicker is what that study is saying. And it's not wrong. When doctors and dietitians and the experts are leading people into doing unhealthful things to lose weight.

So, the alternative is to accept one's obesity and be healthier by doing-nothing. As one is MHO.
I didn't get that the study was saying fat is beautiful, but rather the BMI measurement isn't necessarily a good measure of health. In my post "Lose Fat Not Pounds" I mention that my weight for my height is almost considered obese on the doctor charts and I certainly am not factor unhealthy. I meet all the criteria of low blood pressure, no diabetes and low waist to hip ratio, meaning I am not round. The round fat is the unhealthy fat. There is nothing wrong with being a beautiful curvy Zena Warrior Princess :)

Attachments

• 81E5Tu6f7EL._AC_SX385_.jpg
    81E5Tu6f7EL._AC_SX385_.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 121

yerrag

I didn't get that the study was saying fat is beautiful, but rather the BMI measurement isn't necessarily a good measure of health. In my post "Lose Fat Not Pounds" I mention that my weight for my height is almost considered obese on the doctor charts and I certainly am not factor unhealthy. I meet all the criteria of low blood pressure, no diabetes and low waist to hip ratio, meaning I am not round. The round fat is the unhealthy fat. There is nothing wrong with being a beautiful curvy Zena Warrior Princess :)
Xena is not obese. If you consider that obese and think you are almost that, then most likely you are at worst near overweight.

But I agree those charts are nuts. But since when have medical charts and marker ranges not been nuts? Since when has normal meant healthy? Did I say that right? Hmmm..

Last edited:
Xena is not obese. If you consider that obese and think you are almost that, then most likely you are at worst near overweight.

But I agree those charts are nuts. But since when habe medical charts and marker ranges not been nuts? Since when has. normal not meant healthy? Did I say that right? Hmmm..
Well I am not Zena, but she is not obese, in the sense of lots of extra dangerous fat around the middle.

But I agree those charts are nuts. But since when have medical charts and marker ranges not been nuts? Since when has normal meant healthy? Did I say that right? Hmmm..
I didn't say I was like that, you have seen my pic. I am not 6 foot tall and my body is not thick like hers, but she is not obese in the sense of being an unhealthy stereotypical fat person.

yerrag

I didn't say I was like that, you have seen my pic. I am not 6 foot tall and my body is not thick like hers, but she is not obese in the sense of being an unhealthy stereotypical fat person.
Isn't obese a person who is 10x the weight of an overweight person? But seriously, obesity is the next worse step from overweight, right? Why is overweight skipped in the discussion? Is overweight the new purgatory? Shouldn't MHO reallly mean Metabolically Healthy Overweightedness before taking the next leap to Metabolically Healthy Obesity? Like with soda drinks - there's S, M, then L, Then XL, then XXL?

Isn't obese a person who is 10x the weight of an overweight person? But seriously, obesity is the next worse step from overweight, right? Why is overweight skipped in the discussion? Is overweight the new purgatory? Shouldn't MHO reallly mean Metabolically Healthy Overweightedness before taking the next leap to Metabolically Healthy Obesity? Like with soda drinks - there's S, M, then L, Then XL, then XXL?
I am considered almost obese by the doctors weight charts and i am wearing a size small, so that is ludicrous! If you are round then you are obviously unhealthy. How can you measure obesity between two people both being 150 pounds, with one being all muscle and one having no muscle? Fat is 3 times more volumous that muscle.

Attachments

• 20210426_151037.jpg
    20210426_151037.jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 40

yerrag

I am considered almost obese by the doctors weight charts and i am wearing a size small, so that is ludicrous! If you are round then you are obviously unhealthy. How can you measure obesity between two people both being 150 pounds, with one being all muscle and one having no muscle? Fat is 3 times more volumous that muscle.

Like I said, when has their metrics been anything but absurd? Cholesterol, Blood Pressure, Weight, Penis Size etc. - ever made anybody feel like they're A-OK?

Like I said, when has their metrics been anything but absurd? Cholesterol, Blood Pressure, Weight, Penis Size etc. - ever made anybody feel like they're A-OK?
Exactly! "They" have turned the measure of good health into a number which means nothing!

I find it interesting that you would think Zena Warrior Princess is overweight. If it were a man's head on those legs you would be impressed!

yerrag

I find it interesting that you would think Zena Warrior Princess is overweight. If it were a man's head on those legs you would be impressed!
Xena is only overweight if she's not matched with Conan or Deathstalker (Part I).

Zigzag

Watch out for the body positivity movement taking this information and spewing more bs.

Watch out for the body positivity movement taking this information and spewing more bs.
Are you suggesting only thin and frail people are healthy? I am considered almost obese in a size small, at 5'4 with muscles that weigh too much? I am definetly feeling pretty positive about it ?

Attachments

• 20191209_113020.jpg
    20191209_113020.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 97