Allergy To Oysters - Am I Getting Sufficient Zinc?

jimisonthenet

I have found that I get red, patchy skin, especially on my face, and increased itching from seafood. Maybe this is being caused by a release of histamines? Anyway, I have tried many times to alleviate any possible agitations (ie, endotoxin in gut) and then tried oysters again, but had the same results. I wanted to take oysters once per week to ensure that I was getting sufficient zinc, but the cons seem to outweigh the pros for me. My question is, will I get sufficient zinc, if I eat a lot of cheese and eggs and drink milk, etc, and avoid oysters? I've entered the daily amount of zinc that I get on nutrition tracking app, and sometimes it can be very low. Vitamins e and k can also be low but I can find decent supplements for those nutrients, but I struggle finding a decent supplement for zinc. The last one I got, I spent a load of money on an oyster extract, and ended up looking like I'd been rolling around in a beehive the morning after taking it

mrchibbs

I have found that I get red, patchy skin, especially on my face, and increased itching from seafood. Maybe this is being caused by a release of histamines? Anyway, I have tried many times to alleviate any possible agitations (ie, endotoxin in gut) and then tried oysters again, but had the same results. I wanted to take oysters once per week to ensure that I was getting sufficient zinc, but the cons seem to outweigh the pros for me. My question is, will I get sufficient zinc, if I eat a lot of cheese and eggs and drink milk, etc, and avoid oysters? I've entered the daily amount of zinc that I get on nutrition tracking app, and sometimes it can be very low. Vitamins e and k can also be low but I can find decent supplements for those nutrients, but I struggle finding a decent supplement for zinc. The last one I got, I spent a load of money on an oyster extract, and ended up looking like I'd been rolling around in a beehive the morning after taking it

Get some zinc gluconate powder. Take one 50 mg supplement a week (drop some powder in applesauce for example).
You're gonna need some extra meat and liver especially as it has a good amount of zinc and copper.

At some point you should try a different source of oysters.

OP
jimisonthenet

jimisonthenet

Thanks Mr Chibbs! I'll take a look at the zinc gluconate powder, and you're right about trying a different source of oysters. I ended up giving the oyster extract that I used to a friend and he had no issues with it though

mrchibbs

Thanks Mr Chibbs! I'll take a look at the zinc gluconate powder, and you're right about trying a different source of oysters. I ended up giving the oyster extract that I used to a friend and he had no issues with it though

I can recommend St Jeans Canned Oysters! Very good product without any bad oil.

OP
jimisonthenet

jimisonthenet

Shopping list:

Zinc gluconate
St Jeans Canned Oysters

Sorted buddy! The oysters I was finding had sunflower oil in them, so thanks again for another great recommendation

redsun

If oysters are not working for you than you are allergic and should stop trying them. Perhaps other types may work but be careful. Eat red meats for more zinc. Trying to get adequate zinc without some meat is a waste of time and points to insufficiency in the diet itself.

You should be able to get adequate zinc from the diet normally and not have to rely on some super high zinc food. I believe ground beef is lower in iron and higher in zinc and glycine if you are worried about iron. You can eat leaner ones too if you are worried about fat content.

mrchibbs

If oysters are not working for you than you are allergic and should stop trying them. Perhaps other types may work but be careful. Eat red meats for more zinc. Trying to get adequate zinc without some meat is a waste of time and points to insufficiency in the diet itself.

You should be able to get adequate zinc from the diet normally and not have to rely on some super high zinc food. I believe ground beef is lower in iron and higher in zinc and glycine if you are worried about iron. You can eat leaner ones too if you are worried about fat content.

Shopping list:

Zinc gluconate
St Jeans Canned Oysters

Sorted buddy! The oysters I was finding had sunflower oil in them, so thanks again for another great recommendation

Yeah I experienced weird effects from cheap sunflower oil oysters. Just buy a couple of cans of the St Jeans oysters, and give it a shot. They're a little expensive (about 5$USD per can), but I view them as a crucial supplement to take. If it doesn't work out just gift them to friends, they'll be really happy. (Possibly the best oysters around)

OP
jimisonthenet

jimisonthenet

Yeah I experienced weird effects from cheap sunflower oil oysters. Just buy a couple of cans of the St Jeans oysters, and give it a shot. They're a little expensive (about 5$USD per can), but I view them as a crucial supplement to take. If it doesn't work out just gift them to friends, they'll be really happy. (Possibly the best oysters around)
Hm I've just tried to buy them in the UK, but they only seem to ship to the USA and Canada. I've been searching for other brands, but St Jeans do seem to be the best

mrchibbs

Hm I've just tried to buy them in the UK, but they only seem to ship to the USA and Canada. I've been searching for other brands, but St Jeans do seem to be the best

ah shoot, they really are the best I've found. I'm sure you can find a UK alternative.

Maybe buy this: Oyster Meat and make an oyster stew like this recipe: Oyster Stew Recipe | She Wears Many Hats

An oyster soup/stew is often the most palatable for people.

If you want to be a bit daring, you can get fresh oysters delivered from this website: https://www.oysters.co.uk

OP
jimisonthenet

jimisonthenet

Thanks for taking the time to find these Mr Chibbs! It's much appreciated. I'll try both of those websites, and also make more of an effort to buy them from fishmongers and such, whenever I see an opportunity to buy them fresh. I remember buying a big frozen bag of oysters from a Chinese supermarket in Manchester, and I can't really remember reacting badly to them. I think that it could have been oysters containing toxins that caused a histamine reaction. Maybe I'm not allergic to them after all. There's only one way to find out! I'll get a high quality oyster and and if it doesn't work out I'll get the zinc gluconate

mrchibbs

Thanks for taking the time to find these Mr Chibbs! It's much appreciated. I'll try both of those websites, and also make more of an effort to buy them from fishmongers and such, whenever I see an opportunity to buy them fresh. I remember buying a big frozen bag of oysters from a Chinese supermarket in Manchester, and I can't really remember reacting badly to them. I think that it could have been oysters containing toxins that caused a histamine reaction. Maybe I'm not allergic to them after all. There's only one way to find out! I'll get a high quality oyster and and if it doesn't work out I'll get the zinc gluconate

Be careful with buying fresh oysters or too cheap/bulk deals though. Some can be contaminated. It's rare but it happens. Buy them from reputable fishmongers, less than 20 at a time, there should be plenty of supply in the UK since you guys are surrounded by water.

And I would not eat them raw personally, use them to make an oyster stew, cooking them gently, they're more palatable and safer that way. Oysters are irreplaceable as a food, they're like the best supplement one can get, and contain a lot of beneficial compounds and trace minerals, don't avoid them.

The first website seems like a safe source, and you can then use that meat in the soup/stew, and they also sell other shellfish, which is also great to eat.

OP
jimisonthenet

jimisonthenet

Be careful with buying fresh oysters or too cheap/bulk deals though. Some can be contaminated. It's rare but it happens. Buy them from reputable fishmongers, less than 20 at a time, there should be plenty of supply in the UK since you guys are surrounded by water.

And I would not eat them raw personally, use them to make an oyster stew, cooking them gently, they're more palatable and safer that way. Oysters are irreplaceable as a food, they're like the best supplement one can get, and contain a lot of beneficial compounds and trace minerals, don't avoid them.

The first website seems like a safe source, and you can then use that meat in the soup/stew, and they also sell other shellfish, which is also great to eat.

I hear ya matey, 100%. I'm going to find a fresh source, which is getting slightly harder, they seem to shutting the fresh fish counters down at supermarkets here in the UK, but when I do, I'll simmer less than 20 and make a nice seafood chowder out of them and report how I feel here after eating them. You're right, they're a true superfood, and are well worth eating, due to their unique and beneficial nutritional profile. Thank you for taking the time to help me out!

Kray

I can recommend St Jeans Canned Oysters! Very good product without any bad oil.
Can you link to this product? I couldn't find it anywhere. If I can't get it, would any canned in water, non-smoked, do?

mrchibbs

Can you link to this product? I couldn't find it anywhere. If I can't get it, would any canned in water, non-smoked, do?

Sadly they've been sold out for years now (since covid started), but yeah anything canned in water or even olive oil will do. Just avoid the cheap stuff with sunflower or soybean oi

Kray

Aww, too bad. Maybe they'll come back, we'll see. Thanks for tips on choosing.

mrchibbs

Aww, too bad. Maybe they'll come back, we'll see. Thanks for tips on choosing.

Very occasionally they've been back in stock over the past 2 years, but always in very limited batches. I think you can sign up to be notified when they are but they're usually gone in a matter of minutes.

Kray

Very occasionally they've been back in stock over the past 2 years, but always in very limited batches. I think you can sign up to be notified when they are but they're usually gone in a matter of minutes.
Would you be giving away a big secret to tell me where you buy them? 😊
P.S. Went to their website and added my name to notification list. I sure hope I don't take your 6 cans when they come back in stock, so be sure to order right away. 🤤

Last edited:

mrchibbs

Would you be giving away a big secret to tell me where you buy them? 😊
P.S. Went to their website and added my name to notification list. I sure hope I don't take your 6 cans when they come back in stock, so be sure to order right away. 🤤

Haha I've missed the notifications a few times

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals