Allergy Medicine Zyrtec

homeschoolmom

Has anyone experienced arthritic like pain in joints and all over body aches from allergy meds? I am. I am wondering if the med is causing some stress response?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
IIRC, Zyrtec is a 2nd generation antihistamine which can be pretty toxic to the liver for some people. It is recommended to use 1st generation like Benadryl or Cyproheptadine. I told Peat I was using Zyrtec and he sent me studies on how toxic it is to the liver. I immediately stopped and switched to cyproheptadine.

Mittir

My experience is that all the antihistamines, including cyproheptadine and Benadryl,
cause some kind of problem which out weighs the benefit. Low starch and extra calcium have been very helpful in managing allergy. I do feel muscle weekness from antihistamine, that probably happens due to dehydration. I think for occassional use very small dose of
Benadryl or cypro is fine.

Edit: I have just checked inactive ingredients in Zyrtec.
Inactive ingredients
colloidal silicon dioxide, hydroxypropyl cellulose, hypromellose, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, talc, yellow iron oxide

I believe colloidal silicon dioxide is a nano particle and RP has mentioned
these can cause serious health issues once it gets inside the body.

Kray

Mittir said:
My experience is that all the antihistamines, including cyproheptadine and Benadryl,
cause some kind of problem which out weighs the benefit. Low starch and extra calcium have been very helpful in managing allergy. I do feel muscle weekness from antihistamine, that probably happens due to dehydration. I think for occassional use very small dose of
Benadryl or cypro is fine.

Edit: I have just checked inactive ingredients in Zyrtec.
Inactive ingredients
colloidal silicon dioxide, hydroxypropyl cellulose, hypromellose, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, talc, yellow iron oxide

I believe colloidal silicon dioxide is a nano particle and RP has mentioned
these can cause serious health issues once it gets inside the body.

@Mittir,

Thanks for the simple advice on helps to minimize allergy. This approach helps in many other RP ways, as well.

I wanted to give my :2cents-anecdotal query about anti-histamines. For the past month, off and on, I have been dosing with generic Benadryl liquid dye-free for some itching skin rashes. Just about a week ago, I spontaneously developed a cluster of eye floaters in one eye. It was unusual enough (cobweb type that are more concerning for possible retinal detachment) that I saw my optometrist. My retinal scan looked ok-- at this point-- I may go back in 6 weeks to make sure there haven't been any more changes.

I had 1 or 2 dot-type floaters in the same eye up until now (I'm 57, and it isn't uncommon for most people to have some, or many, by this age), but I hadn't ever really taken anti-histamines like this most recent event since I was in my 20's. Your mention of dehydration made me wonder if there is any possibility that the intake of anti-histamines could have had some negative, drying effect upon the vitreous of my eye. I don't remember from reading here on the forum if Benadryl crosses the blood-brain barrier, or the retinal-blood barrier for that matter, but just thought I'd throw this out there. It's a pretty annoying thing, these floaters. Coincidentally, I stopped taking any anti-histamines a couple of days ago. I will do all in my power to avoid any more, and look to topicals for quick help in my itchiness, and avoid starches (potatoes, corn, rice), keep up my calcium levels. :)

Meanwhile, if anyone has any self-help stories in treating eye floaters (the msm says they're untreatable and if they do seem to "go away", it's just your brain telling you they aren't there anymore; at best, they might gravitate out of your field of vision, but apparently the "experts" say they will remain inside the eye).

I have read, again anecdotally, that taurine and astaxanthin may help to "treat" floaters. I'm going to give taurine a try, and I had some astaxanthin on hand, so I'm taking both.

Thanks again for your interesting post.

C-lady

Peata

classicallady said:
I haven't done an exhaustive search, but I found this to be interesting; see under, "Antihistamines".

http://www.naturaleyecare.com/FAQ/quest ... m-eyes.asp

Let us know how the taurine works for you. I've taken axtazanthin before and didn't notice any difference in floaters. But I just got a bottle of taurine. I got it for other purposes, but it will be nice if it helped clear floaters too.

Kray

Peata said:
classicallady said:
I haven't done an exhaustive search, but I found this to be interesting; see under, "Antihistamines".

Let us know how the taurine works for you. I've taken axtazanthin before and didn't notice any difference in floaters. But I just got a bottle of taurine. I got it for other purposes, but it will be nice if it helped clear floaters too.

I'll let you know. I haven't taken it consistently or long enough yet. Not sure how much I should be taking per day, but I've been doing the recommended dose of 500mg-- how about you? What other benefits of taurine? Do you have a lot of floaters? My new ones came on suddenly, it was somewhat scary. I hope they fade!

Peata

classicallady said:
Peata said:
classicallady said:

I'll let you know. I haven't taken it consistently or long enough yet. Not sure how much I should be taking per day, but I've been doing the recommended dose of 500mg-- how about you? What other benefits of taurine? Do you have a lot of floaters? My new ones came on suddenly, it was somewhat scary. I hope they fade!

I just started taking taurine today, but I took 1 g. in the morning and another 1 g. in afternoon. I will probably take another 1 g. tonight. So 3 g per day.

From what I've been reading, it's supposed to help with a number of things from weight, liver, insulin, tinnitus, eyes, electrolyte balance, and more.

I do have a lot of floaters. It wasn't always like that. I only had a few when I was younger, probably first noticed them in late childhood. Then in my early 30s they exploded across my vision. I had it checked, no retinal detachment, all eye appointments were thorough and things were fine. The floaters were super annoying though. I could look at a white wall or a blue sky and have them scrolling through my vision -dots, whirls, blobs, strings, fibers, you name it. I'm not sure what the Peat explanation for them is, or if anyone has asked him about them. I got the big amount of them during a time of intense stress, but it could have also been contributed to by nutrition and insulin and estrogen that I was having trouble with too. And that I was drinking a lot of alcohol at the time, probably binging from stress.

Adding - I'm 40 now and still have them like I did 8 or 9 years ago, but I don't notice them as much as I used to. Maybe my brain did adjust some. I can still see them all if I look purposefully against a light background though.

Kray

Peata,

Well, as they say, misery loves company. But you have given me a little reassurance I don't probably need to worry about things too much. (I'm 57.) They sure are annoying! btw- did yours ever come with flashing, or "flashers", as they call them ("flashers and floaters" seems to be a common term, so I assume flashing isn't necessarily going to mean retinal tear/detachment, etc). Lots of stuff out there to stress over, not the least of which reading about all these "what-ifs" on the internet. :shock: Anyway, for what it's worth, it seems retinal involvement is only about 15% avg of cases. At least it's good to know what warning signs to look for. It is interesting to note that mine came after taking antihistamines for about a month. Is it possible the drying-out effect of antihistamines could have contributed? I don't seem to find anyone around here who has related any similar experience, but I decided to stop any further antihistamines to be safe. Hopefully taurine will be a good replacement for sleep help, and I'm doing some other things that are more natural and helpful for allergy relief. :)

I appreciate your feedback on taurine. Please keep me posted on how you find it to help you. I checked my NOW brand taurine powder-- like you, I'm taking 1g/dose. It says up to 2 doses/day, so I'll probably up mine to that. I may find it helps with sleep by taking a little more.

Think I'll go try some now-- good night, and thanks again!

D

Deleted member 5487

IIRC, Zyrtec is a 2nd generation antihistamine which can be pretty toxic to the liver for some people. It is recommended to use 1st generation like Benadryl or Cyproheptadine. I told Peat I was using Zyrtec and he sent me studies on how toxic it is to the liver. I immediately stopped and switched to cyproheptadine.

great...have been taking for years, so has my family.

Gone Peating

@charlie Think you could dig up the email with those studies? My mother takes zyrtec every day for her allergies

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
@charlie Think you could dig up the email with those studies? My mother takes zyrtec every day for her allergies
Ann Hepatol. 2011 Apr-Jun;10(2):237-8.
Levocetirizine induced hepatotoxicity in a patient with chronic urticaria.
Ekiz F, Yüksel I, Ekiz O, Coban S, Basar O, Yüksel O.

2. Med Clin (Barc). 2011 Sep 10;137(6):283-4.
[Cetirizine hepatotoxicity].
[Article in Spanish]
Prieto de Paula JM, Franco Hidalgo S, Nalotto L, Ginés Santiago A.

3. N Z Med J. 2010 Feb 19;123(1309):106-7.
Severe hepatitis in a primary sclerosing cholangitis patient receiving recent
cetirizine therapy.
Jurawan R, Smith A.

4. Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2010 Jan;33(1):68-9. Epub 2009 Sep 3.
[Benign recurrent intrahepatic cholestasis simulating cetirizine-induced toxic
hepatitis].
[Article in Spanish]
Díaz-Sánchez A, Marín-Jiménez I, Aldeguer M.

5. Ann Pharmacother. 2004 Nov;38(11):1844-7. Epub 2004 Sep 21.
Recurrent acute hepatitis associated with use of cetirizine.
Pompili M, Basso M, Grieco A, Vecchio FM, Gasbarrini G, Rapaccini GL.
Department of Internal Medicine, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Rome,
Italy. [email protected]
OBJECTIVE: To describe a case of recurrent acute hepatitis related to the use of
cetirizine, a selective histamine(1)-receptor antagonist approved for the
treatment of common allergic diseases.
CASE SUMMARY: A 26-year-old man was hospitalized with a week-long history of
weakness, nausea, anorexia, and hyperchromic urine, which had developed after 6
days of therapy with oral cetirizine 10 mg/day for allergic rhinitis. Admission
laboratory testing revealed evidence of acute hepatitis and seropositivity for
liver-kidney microsome antibodies. Liver biopsy findings of diffuse portal tract
and lobular inflammation with a prominent eosinophilic infiltrate were consistent
with drug-related hepatitis. The patient was discharged after one week of
treatment with tocopherol and glutathione. Three months after discharge,
transaminase levels were normal. At 6 months, seropositivity for liver-kidney
microsome antibodies was still present, but considerably less intense. The
patient had suffered 2 previous episodes of "acute hepatitis of unknown origin,"
and both had occurred after cetirizine use.
DISCUSSION: Use of the Naranjo probability scale indicated cetirizine as the
probable cause of acute hepatitis, and the positivity for liver-kidney microsome
antibodies is suggestive of an autoimmune mechanism for liver damage. As of
September 13, 2004, ours is the fourth reported case of acute hepatitis
associated with cetirizine and the second in which liver-kidney microsome
antibodies have been documented.
CONCLUSIONS: Although cetirizine is considered to have low potential for severe
hepatic toxicity, the possibility that it can provoke autoimmune-mediated
hepatotoxicity should be considered.

6. Clin Allergy Immunol. 2002;17:389-419.
Potential cardiac toxicity of H1-antihistamines.
Yap YG, Camm AJ.
St. George's Hospital Medical School, London, England.
Nonsedating H1-antihistamines are widely prescribed for the treatment of allergic
disorders because of their lack of sedative and anticholinergic effects; however,
certain nonsedating antihistamines such as terfenadine and astemizole are now
known to cause QT prolongation and TdP, particularly in overdosage or with
concomitant ingestion of imidazole antifungals or macrolide antibiotics.
Mechanistic studies showed that the cardiotoxic effects of some nonsedating
antihistamines are due to the inhibition of repolarization potassium channels,
particularly IKr, which leads to prolongation of the action potential and QT
interval, and the development of early after-depolarization, which triggers TdP.
Patients at risk of developing TdP, such as those with congenital long QT
syndrome, cardiac disease, liver disease, electrolyte disturbance, or those
taking drugs that can prolong QT interval, should avoid nonsedating
antihistamines that are also capable of prolonging the QT interval. Many
questions still need to be answered, such as the role of other potassium channels
(IKs, ITo, and Iped) and the relative expression of various potassium channels in
different individuals, which may be important in the pathogenesis of TdP with
nonsedating antihistamines. There is also a lack of information on the cardiac
actions of newer nonsedating antihistamines. The evidence so far indicates that
the potential to cause ventricular arrhythmias is not a class effect and that
loratadine, cetirizine, and fexofenadine are not associated with QT prolongation,
TdP, or other ventricular arrhythmias. It is hoped that with a better
understanding of the arrhythmogenic mechanism of nonsedating antihistamines, we
will be able to identify patients at risk and prevent any cardiac toxicity
associated with H1-antihistamines, and ultimately, death.

7. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2002 Apr;34(4):493-5.
Acute hepatitis associated with cetirizine intake.
Sánchez-Lombraña JL, Alvarez RP, Sáez LR, Oliva NP, Martínez RM.

8. Ann Intern Med. 2001 Jul 17;135(2):142-3.
Severe hepatitis in a patient taking cetirizine.
Watanabe M, Kohge N, Kaji T.

9. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2000 Oct;31(3):250-3.
Cetirizine-induce cholestasis.
Fong DG, Angulo P, Burgart LJ, Lindor KD.
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota
55905, USA.
Cetirizine, a human metabolite of hydroxyzine, is a selective H1-receptor
antagonist currently approved for the treatment of seasonal allergic rhinitis,
perennial allergic rhinitis, and chronic urticaria. In U.S. clinical trials,
transient reversible hepatic transaminase elevations were observed in <2% of
patients during cetirizine therapy. We report a case of cetirizine-induced
cholestasis in a 28-year-old man with no previous hepatobiliary disease after a
2-year period of taking cetirizine on a daily basis. The treatment of this
patient included the use of ursodeoxycholic acid, as well as hydroxyzine, for
symptomatic relief of pruritus. In light of the patient's clinical and
biochemical improvement while using hydroxyzine, it appears that the hepatic
metabolism of hydroxyzine to metabolites, including cetirizine, is not involved
in the pathogenesis of this particular case of drug-induced hepatotoxicity.
Cetirizine should be considered as a potential cause of drug-induced cholestasis.

Gone Peating

Ann Hepatol. 2011 Apr-Jun;10(2):237-8.
Levocetirizine induced hepatotoxicity in a patient with chronic urticaria.
Ekiz F, Yüksel I, Ekiz O, Coban S, Basar O, Yüksel O.

2. Med Clin (Barc). 2011 Sep 10;137(6):283-4.
[Cetirizine hepatotoxicity].
[Article in Spanish]
Prieto de Paula JM, Franco Hidalgo S, Nalotto L, Ginés Santiago A.

3. N Z Med J. 2010 Feb 19;123(1309):106-7.
Severe hepatitis in a primary sclerosing cholangitis patient receiving recent
cetirizine therapy.
Jurawan R, Smith A.

4. Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2010 Jan;33(1):68-9. Epub 2009 Sep 3.
[Benign recurrent intrahepatic cholestasis simulating cetirizine-induced toxic
hepatitis].
[Article in Spanish]
Díaz-Sánchez A, Marín-Jiménez I, Aldeguer M.

5. Ann Pharmacother. 2004 Nov;38(11):1844-7. Epub 2004 Sep 21.
Recurrent acute hepatitis associated with use of cetirizine.
Pompili M, Basso M, Grieco A, Vecchio FM, Gasbarrini G, Rapaccini GL.
Department of Internal Medicine, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Rome,
Italy. [email protected]
OBJECTIVE: To describe a case of recurrent acute hepatitis related to the use of
cetirizine, a selective histamine(1)-receptor antagonist approved for the
treatment of common allergic diseases.
CASE SUMMARY: A 26-year-old man was hospitalized with a week-long history of
weakness, nausea, anorexia, and hyperchromic urine, which had developed after 6
days of therapy with oral cetirizine 10 mg/day for allergic rhinitis. Admission
laboratory testing revealed evidence of acute hepatitis and seropositivity for
liver-kidney microsome antibodies. Liver biopsy findings of diffuse portal tract
and lobular inflammation with a prominent eosinophilic infiltrate were consistent
with drug-related hepatitis. The patient was discharged after one week of
treatment with tocopherol and glutathione. Three months after discharge,
transaminase levels were normal. At 6 months, seropositivity for liver-kidney
microsome antibodies was still present, but considerably less intense. The
patient had suffered 2 previous episodes of "acute hepatitis of unknown origin,"
and both had occurred after cetirizine use.
DISCUSSION: Use of the Naranjo probability scale indicated cetirizine as the
probable cause of acute hepatitis, and the positivity for liver-kidney microsome
antibodies is suggestive of an autoimmune mechanism for liver damage. As of
September 13, 2004, ours is the fourth reported case of acute hepatitis
associated with cetirizine and the second in which liver-kidney microsome
antibodies have been documented.
CONCLUSIONS: Although cetirizine is considered to have low potential for severe
hepatic toxicity, the possibility that it can provoke autoimmune-mediated
hepatotoxicity should be considered.

6. Clin Allergy Immunol. 2002;17:389-419.
Potential cardiac toxicity of H1-antihistamines.
Yap YG, Camm AJ.
St. George's Hospital Medical School, London, England.
Nonsedating H1-antihistamines are widely prescribed for the treatment of allergic
disorders because of their lack of sedative and anticholinergic effects; however,
certain nonsedating antihistamines such as terfenadine and astemizole are now
known to cause QT prolongation and TdP, particularly in overdosage or with
concomitant ingestion of imidazole antifungals or macrolide antibiotics.
Mechanistic studies showed that the cardiotoxic effects of some nonsedating
antihistamines are due to the inhibition of repolarization potassium channels,
particularly IKr, which leads to prolongation of the action potential and QT
interval, and the development of early after-depolarization, which triggers TdP.
Patients at risk of developing TdP, such as those with congenital long QT
syndrome, cardiac disease, liver disease, electrolyte disturbance, or those
taking drugs that can prolong QT interval, should avoid nonsedating
antihistamines that are also capable of prolonging the QT interval. Many
questions still need to be answered, such as the role of other potassium channels
(IKs, ITo, and Iped) and the relative expression of various potassium channels in
different individuals, which may be important in the pathogenesis of TdP with
nonsedating antihistamines. There is also a lack of information on the cardiac
actions of newer nonsedating antihistamines. The evidence so far indicates that
the potential to cause ventricular arrhythmias is not a class effect and that
loratadine, cetirizine, and fexofenadine are not associated with QT prolongation,
TdP, or other ventricular arrhythmias. It is hoped that with a better
understanding of the arrhythmogenic mechanism of nonsedating antihistamines, we
will be able to identify patients at risk and prevent any cardiac toxicity
associated with H1-antihistamines, and ultimately, death.

7. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2002 Apr;34(4):493-5.
Acute hepatitis associated with cetirizine intake.
Sánchez-Lombraña JL, Alvarez RP, Sáez LR, Oliva NP, Martínez RM.

8. Ann Intern Med. 2001 Jul 17;135(2):142-3.
Severe hepatitis in a patient taking cetirizine.
Watanabe M, Kohge N, Kaji T.

9. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2000 Oct;31(3):250-3.
Cetirizine-induce cholestasis.
Fong DG, Angulo P, Burgart LJ, Lindor KD.
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota
55905, USA.
Cetirizine, a human metabolite of hydroxyzine, is a selective H1-receptor
antagonist currently approved for the treatment of seasonal allergic rhinitis,
perennial allergic rhinitis, and chronic urticaria. In U.S. clinical trials,
transient reversible hepatic transaminase elevations were observed in <2% of
patients during cetirizine therapy. We report a case of cetirizine-induced
cholestasis in a 28-year-old man with no previous hepatobiliary disease after a
2-year period of taking cetirizine on a daily basis. The treatment of this
patient included the use of ursodeoxycholic acid, as well as hydroxyzine, for
symptomatic relief of pruritus. In light of the patient's clinical and
biochemical improvement while using hydroxyzine, it appears that the hepatic
metabolism of hydroxyzine to metabolites, including cetirizine, is not involved
in the pathogenesis of this particular case of drug-induced hepatotoxicity.
Cetirizine should be considered as a potential cause of drug-induced cholestasis.

This is amazing thank you. She is diagnosed with Sjogrens and she had the allergy/autoimmune issues before taking zyrtec daily but I do believe that zyrtec as well as daily Retin A to the face is making her issues worse

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals