All Things Oat Bran

boris

Why the sudden interest in oat bran, does it do something that the usual recommended fibers don't?

The carrot quality where I live is very inconsistent. A slightly bitter carrot will mess up my gut, give me unpleasant allergic reactions, and acne.

Wheat bran seems very mild on the gut. But:

How long do you guys cook the stuff?

I ate wheat bran 2 times in one week (cooked for 10-20 minutes) and I got a white spot on my nail.

P

Peatness

The carrot quality where I live is very inconsistent. A slightly bitter carrot will mess up my gut, give me unpleasant allergic reactions, and acne.

Wheat bran seems very mild on the gut. But:

How long do you guys cook the stuff?

I ate wheat bran 2 times in one week (cooked for 10-20 minutes and I got a white spot on my nail.
Read the posts above about soaking oak bran with rye overnight

PeskyPeater

Nice, this oatbran is much tastier than wheatbran. Going to apply this oatbran in an orthomolecular combination with greek yogurt with L. Acidophilus. The yogurt Beta caseine is going to help sustain healthy gut mucus lining and reduce endotoxins effects and the L. Acidophilus helps in modulating the serotonin transporter function to prevent IBS, while the oat fiber assists in proper transit time. And not to forget finally increasing the satiety of a cup of yogurt.

Perry Staltic

Nice, this oatbran is much tastier than wheatbran. Going to apply this oatbran in an orthomolecular combination with greek yogurt with L. Acidophilus. The yogurt Beta caseine is going to help sustain healthy gut mucus lining and reduce endotoxins effects and the L. Acidophilus helps in modulating the serotonin transporter function to prevent IBS, while the oat fiber assists in proper transit time. And not to forget finally increasing the satiety of a cup of yogurt.

Also L. acidophilus produces lactate which gets converted to acetate through bacterial cross-feeding, which feeds f. prausnitzii that produces butyrate and salicylic acid in the colon.

Inaut

Also L. acidophilus produces lactate which gets converted to acetate through bacterial cross-feeding, which feeds f. prausnitzii that produces butyrate and salicylic acid in the colon.
Kefir and oat bran is my combo. Good to know details though. Thanks

Samya

What about porridge oats, are they okay?

I'm wondering the same, It seems most here are just using the husk/bran rather than the whole grain to avoid the starch.

In summer I doubt I would eat porridge for breakfast every day but in colder weather it's a nice start. I've read the thread and see that in the long term the bran could be toxic but not sure how relevant those studies are to ~100g of steel cut oats cooked well with milk, perhaps it would be best in the long term to switch to 'instant' oats minus the bran or some middle ground.

I like to cook porridge so it's very smooth and use 2% milk so the starch is accompanied by some fat and is well cooked, adding honey and cocoa powder is nice too. I saw someone mentioned it makes them thirsty, I feel this myself and attribute it somewhat to dehydrating the milk during the cooking process.

I just started having porridge again this morning after not having it for a long time then came across this thread. :)

Lizb

I'm wondering the same, It seems most here are just using the husk/bran rather than the whole grain to avoid the starch.

In summer I doubt I would eat porridge for breakfast every day but in colder weather it's a nice start. I've read the thread and see that in the long term the bran could be toxic but not sure how relevant those studies are to ~100g of steel cut oats cooked well with milk, perhaps it would be best in the long term to switch to 'instant' oats minus the bran or some middle ground.

I like to cook porridge so it's very smooth and use 2% milk so the starch is accompanied by some fat and is well cooked, adding honey and cocoa powder is nice too. I saw someone mentioned it makes them thirsty, I feel this myself and attribute it somewhat to dehydrating the milk during the cooking process.

I just started having porridge again this morning after not having it for a long time then came across this thread. :)
Ah thanks. I bought some oatbran this week and can say I prefer it to oats. Love both though.

I did well this morning with the oatbran and felt that there was less of an insulin spike with the oatbran, but of course, that could have been for another reason - everything is so complicated!

I'll keep comparing - nice tasty test to carry out!

I wonder has anyone else found a good way to make 'pastry' with oats or oatbran?

minor9

I ate oat bran for breakfast everyday for a couple of weeks. I felt pretty good and it digested well. I ended up stopping because I noticed my hair took on a more wiry texture. The same thing happens if I eat too much meat. Excess phosphorus? I had the same amount of milk as I usually do (about 2 quarts). After about a week of no oat bran and consciously trying to up calcium, my hair went back to normal. Just throwing my experience in here

MoonFreak

Best oat bran recipe in my opinion

1/3 cup oat bran
1 cup milk
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp maple syrup
1tsp masa harina
1tbsp butter
Salt to taste

Mito

But Dr Peat has been promoting oat bran lately - now I'm confused?
Accepting might be a better description than promoting.

This is what Peat said in July of 2020: “well-cooked oat bran or wheat bran is fine for for getting a temporary cleaning out you just don't want to eat a lot of oat bran every day for 30 years because it does release that mild carcinogen”

This is what Peat said in December of 2021: “studies in animals showed that over a long run, you might have to worry about some of the breakdown products of the soluble fibers that can have an estrogenic effect, but in the short run up to a year or so its effect is a matter of the bulk and acceleration of the intestines so it has an anti-estrogenic effect for people who have been reabsorbing the estrogen that their liver tries to excrete.”

P

Peatness

He did also say that it should be accompanied by 2 litres of milk a day. Would that go towards negating ill effects?
Only if the calcium loss is the only reason for caution

P

Peatness

I use wheat bran and it's been very helpful...next to cascara sagrada.
Oat bran makes me feel bloated.
I've used wheat bran previously. I did a bulk buy of oat bran recently. Perhaps I might get wheat bran and mix them