All Things Oat Bran

Beastmode

Does soaking the oat bran in water, pouring away, washing and then finally adding milk help with overall digestion as it would reduce starch slightly?
Yes! Washing it very well and cooking it for a long time should sort that out in my experience.

Beastmode

What did you remove to stop gut inflammation?
Loaded question. Different for everyone.

1) Any junk food/processed foods is an easy place to start.
2) #1 takes care of a lot of the PUFAS, but definitely making sure I"m cutting those out have helped tremendously.
3) Raw carrot a day. It doesn't replace anything, but when I'm doing the above consistently, it seems to support the process gently.
4) Going to bed early and not staying up until midnight like I was for a while has made a difference.

A good example is I had some kind of candida/fungal infection recently starting after the holidays. Ate a cereal with my raw milk, which I rarely consume, topped off with different foods that contain bread, etc. My bowel movements stopped for few days and they didn't become regular for 2 weeks. Sleep went to crap as well. Even get athlete's foot when this happens.

I made some oat brain hoping it would help, which it didn't. At least to the degree that it was a stimulant, rather than an irritant. This told me I was having too much of the oat bran. I had a raw carrot a for 3 days straight as a snack and that seemed to be gentler and my system is back on track like normal.

sunny

Loaded question. Different for everyone.

1) Any junk food/processed foods is an easy place to start.
2) #1 takes care of a lot of the PUFAS, but definitely making sure I"m cutting those out have helped tremendously.
3) Raw carrot a day. It doesn't replace anything, but when I'm doing the above consistently, it seems to support the process gently.
4) Going to bed early and not staying up until midnight like I was for a while has made a difference.

A good example is I had some kind of candida/fungal infection recently starting after the holidays. Ate a cereal with my raw milk, which I rarely consume, topped off with different foods that contain bread, etc. My bowel movements stopped for few days and they didn't become regular for 2 weeks. Sleep went to crap as well. Even get athlete's foot when this happens.

I made some oat brain hoping it would help, which it didn't. At least to the degree that it was a stimulant, rather than an irritant. This told me I was having too much of the oat bran. I had a raw carrot a for 3 days straight as a snack and that seemed to be gentler and my system is back on track like normal.
Thank you for the reply. I have eliminated bad food, don't have bloating, gas, reflux, burping, etc. None of the things that you would associate with inflammation. I just have eternal slow motility. I take thyroid because of no thyroid, Progest-e cyclical, d drops on skin, Idealabs k. Just started Swedish bitters. I was doing a daily carrots but have not for awhile because it started to not appeal to me. I go to bed by 9 because I have to get up early. On the days I can sleep later it seems I will mostly have a better movement after my coffee.

Beastmode

Thank you for the reply. I have eliminated bad food, don't have bloating, gas, reflux, burping, etc. None of the things that you would associate with inflammation. I just have eternal slow motility. I take thyroid because of no thyroid, Progest-e cyclical, d drops on skin, Idealabs k. Just started Swedish bitters. I was doing a daily carrots but have not for awhile because it started to not appeal to me. I go to bed by 9 because I have to get up early. On the days I can sleep later it seems I will mostly have a better movement after my coffee.
I had, and still do to a degree, slow motility. I started really serious on this "Peat" stuff January 2017 and still have a long way to go. However, it's definitely "sped" up quite a bit.

Some people here say small doses of antibiotics can really help. I haven't done them consistently enough to really give it a recommendation, based on direct experience. Peat has mentioned erythromycin as a safe one as it also has a mild laxative effect. Could be worth looking into.

The megaspore probiotic is popular with some here as it might assist in getting your gut moving at a good speed. I have used this one, but not enough to say it's really made a significant enough of a difference.

Since coffee seems to work for you, have you considered having a bit with every meal? Another thing Peat has mentioned before to help in this area.

Hope some of those give you some ideas. Keep building on your success and learn from what's not working as a form of success.

sunny

I had, and still do to a degree, slow motility. I started really serious on this "Peat" stuff January 2017 and still have a long way to go. However, it's definitely "sped" up quite a bit.

Some people here say small doses of antibiotics can really help. I haven't done them consistently enough to really give it a recommendation, based on direct experience. Peat has mentioned erythromycin as a safe one as it also has a mild laxative effect. Could be worth looking into.

The megaspore probiotic is popular with some here as it might assist in getting your gut moving at a good speed. I have used this one, but not enough to say it's really made a significant enough of a difference.

Since coffee seems to work for you, have you considered having a bit with every meal? Another thing Peat has mentioned before to help in this area.

Hope some of those give you some ideas. Keep building on your success and learn from what's not working as a form of success.
Thank you for the ideas, I appreciate it. I had started to read about the antibiotic, prebiotic route. I have mostly read about penicillin vk, Doxycycline, and Azithromycin. I will look at erythromycin. I did get some lidocaine powder but have gotten no further yet with that. I had not considered more coffee - I have always just had a taste for it in the morning.

emarie

Dairy is not an option for me. What else would be good to have with oat bran to balance the phosphate?

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

Dairy is not an option for me. What else would be good to have with oat bran to balance the phosphate?
You could make some powdered eggshell (calcium carbonate) and stir that in with the oat bran. You would probably need very little, maybe 1/4 tsp per bowl.

Beastmode

Thank you for the ideas, I appreciate it. I had started to read about the antibiotic, prebiotic route. I have mostly read about penicillin vk, Doxycycline, and Azithromycin. I will look at erythromycin. I did get some lidocaine powder but have gotten no further yet with that. I had not considered more coffee - I have always just had a taste for it in the morning.
The 2 that Peat told me that are safest besides Penicillin are Erythromycin (antiinflammatory and laxative), which I mentioned, and tetracycline (antiinflammatory).

Before going down the antibiotic route, do consider the coffee thing. If it helps, you won't have to invest in things that may cause more irritation (i.e-antiobiotic,) as it always comes down to the individual.

sunny

The 2 that Peat told me that are safest besides Penicillin are Erythromycin (antiinflammatory and laxative), which I mentioned, and tetracycline (antiinflammatory).

Before going down the antibiotic route, do consider the coffee thing. If it helps, you won't have to invest in things that may cause more irritation (i.e-antiobiotic,) as it always comes down to the individual.
Yes, absolutely. Its seems some are really helped by the antibiotics route and others have even more issues after them. Thank you for you help, I appreciate it.

Ledo

isn't butyrate

that’s what I’m eating
Yes, oats and wheat grains and shafts are similar in size and get easily cross contaminated in the field at harvest and during processing. Bob's tests for gluten as well as keeps processing equipment separated for each grain.

Its on their website if you look around a bit. So if you have something like celiac disease then absolutely get that product. @James b

Ledo

Amazon is really upcharging for their oar bran. The organic oat bran is much cheaper at the Bob's redmill site. They have a 20% first time order to defray shipping cost. $4.95 for 18 ounces Organic oat bran. Local stores carry it as well.

Inaut

For anybody eating oat bran, drink a glass of kefir with or after it and let me know if you notice anything gut wise.

In the most recent Danny Roddy stream with Dr. Peat, he talks about fiber and mentions something that I’ve experienced and wish I had known sooner — the relationship between different types of fiber and things like headaches. Dr. Peat like myself has been a migraine sufferer. He seemed to indicate that oat bran may be good for a year or two but not forever. I was also kind of shocked that he suggested flavoring it with a little bit of matzoh — a little bit to make it kind of taste like a tamale. Is that what he really said???? Doesn’t matzoh have, gasp, gluten???

Anyway, mushrooms can be harder on the gut or easier depending upon how much you grind them up. Exactly my experience. I don’t think I do well with oat bran — I think it increases my gut serotonin and triggers migraines. He mentioned bamboo shoots as being kind of “hard” fiber and again it is my exact experience.

I loved eating the oat bran but I think it exacerbates my headaches.
The matzoh comment:

View: https://youtu.be/72Zz0TbfBAg

1:02:23

And the fiber comments about oat bran, carrot, bamboo shoots, carrot salad, etc., and their effects on the person who has a very sensitive gut — very worthwhile comments to review:

View: https://youtu.be/l61D8dJzVWk

57:28

Last edited:

Beastmode

In the most recent Danny Roddy stream with Dr. Peat, he talks about fiber and mentions something that I’ve experienced and wish I had known sooner — the relationship between different types of fiber and things like headaches. Dr. Peat like myself has been a migraine sufferer. He seemed to indicate that oat bran may be good for a year or two but not forever. I was also kind of shocked that he suggested flavoring it with a little bit of matzoh — a little bit to make it kind of taste like a tamale. Is that what he really said???? Doesn’t matzoh have, gasp, gluten???

Anyway, mushrooms can be harder on the gut or easier depending upon how much you grind them up. Exactly my experience. I don’t think I do well with oat bran — I think it increases my gut serotonin and triggers migraines. He mentioned bamboo shoots as being kind of “hard” fiber and again it is my exact experience.

I loved eating the oat bran but I think it exacerbates my headaches.
The matzoh comment:

View: https://youtu.be/72Zz0TbfBAg

1:02:23

And the fiber comments:

View: https://youtu.be/l61D8dJzVWk

57:28

I'm not a migraine or headache sufferer, but when I have too much oat brain (super well cooked,) I do notice a slight headache for a portion of the day afterward.

I wonder if it just comes down to the amount consumed. At least it seems so in my experience.

I'm not a migraine or headache sufferer, but when I have too much oat brain (super well cooked,) I do notice a slight headache for a portion of the day afterward.

I wonder if it just comes down to the amount consumed. At least it seems so in my experience.

I have the “sensitive gut” that Dr. Peat refers to in the second video. I get the headaches for days and they are very bad. I never realized the link to fiber but actually I started getting the headaches when I began habitually consuming psyillum fiber.

L

Lord Cola

I have the “sensitive gut” that Dr. Peat refers to in the second video. I get the headaches for days and they are very bad. I never realized the link to fiber but actually I started getting the headaches when I began habitually consuming psyillum fiber.
Have you tried coating the fiber in lots of saturated fat? That lowers the irritation from fiber.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals