All COVID Emails (so Far) From Chris Masterjohn

OP
RealNeat

RealNeat

Yesterday, Dr. Rhonda Patrick, PhD, of Found My Fitness released an email to her list with the subject “Vitamin D may reduce susceptibility to COVID-19-associated lung injury,” which linked to an accompanying YouTube video on the same topic.

Here is my point-by-point response.

Generalizing From Colds and Flu to COVID-19
In the email, Dr. Patrick points out that vitamin D reduces the risk of upper respiratory tract infections:

A ton of evidence suggests that vitamin D is protective against respiratory tract infections. Data from 25 randomized controlled trialsfrom around the world demonstrate that vitamin D supplementation reduced the risk of acute respiratory infection by more than 50 percent, especially in people with low baseline vitamin D levels.

The meta-analysis she links to doesn't say anything about which viruses caused the infections or even which illnesses were involved, but as a group, most upper respiratory tract infections are are the common cold or the flu.

I completely agree vitamin D is important to cold and flu prevention, but I strongly oppose generalizing from colds and flu to COVID-19.

As I pointed out in The Food and Supplement Guide for the Coronavirus, there are major differences between colds and flu, on the one hand, and COVID-19, on the other:

Half of colds are caused by rhinoviruses, and 90% of them dock to intercellular adhesion molecule-1 (ICAM-1). Flu viruses dock to sialic acid. Even the coronaviruses that cause 15% of colds do not dock to ACE2. They use aminopeptidase Nor sialic acid. Preventing the virus from docking to host cells is a key strategy for preventing infection, but SARS-CoV-2, the cause of COVID-19, shares its docking mechanism not with cold or flu viruses, but with SARS-CoV, the cause of SARS.

This is especially important for something like vitamin D, which increases ACE2. Colds and flu do not share anything in common with SARS-CoV and SARS-CoV-2 about the role of ACE2 in allowing the virus to enter cells. Therefore, it would be very unwise to assume that the effect of vitamin D on colds and flu will generalize to COVID-19.

But this other snippet from my guide warrants even more caution:

Interferon administered to human volunteers reduced the incidence and severity of colds and, as discussed above, interferon protects mice from otherwise lethal doses of influenza A. Nutrients and herbal remedies that increase the antiviral interferon response should, therefore, protect against colds and flu. However, just as interferon leads to lung damage and death in SARS-infected mice, and apparently to a cytokine storm in human SARS patients, these same nutrients and herbal remedies might actually cause harm in SARS, and, by extension, in COVID-19.

The mouse study discussed in that excerpt is particularly disconcerting: deleting the gene for the receptor for type 1 interferon, and thus disabling the interferon response, did two wildly conflicting things to the flu versus and to SARS:

• It caused an otherwise non-lethal dose of influenza to kill the mice.
  • It allowed mice given an otherwise lethal dose of SARS-CoV to survive.
In other words, interferon rescues flu-infected mice but kills SARS-infected mice.

If that doesn't warrant caution about generalizing from the flu to COVID-19, I don't know what possibly could.

ACE2: Friend or Foe?
Dr. Patrick continues:

Where does ACE2 fit in?

SARS-CoV-2 virus enters human cells via the ACE2 receptor. Viral particles bind to the ACE2 receptor and together they travel into the cell. These viral particles can bind to a large number of ACE2 molecules, sequestering them from the cell surface and decreasing ACE2. This has been shown to happen with the virus that caused the original SARS outbreak, SARS-CoV-1, which also binds to the ACE2 receptor.

The accompanying loss of ACE2 function can cause serious health consequences due to ACE2's participation in key physiological processes.

I completely agree that ACE2 plays an extremely important role in normal physiology, and that SARS causes lung damage in part by causing the loss of this normal function.

However, I believe Dr. Patrick is missing a fundamental point: the normal metabolites of our enzymes do not reproduce themselves, and they therefore do not grow exponentially; likewise, the enzymes themselves do not self-replicate in response to nutrients, so they also do not grow exponentially; viruses, on the other hand, self-replicate, so they grow exponentially.

We don't know how many virions (virus particles) are released from each SARS-CoV-2 infected cell, but murine coronavirus, which infects mice, releases 600-700 per infected cell. One virus entering a cell can generate hundreds. Each of those hundreds can then generate hundreds more, totaling tens of thousands. Each of those tens of thousands can then generate hundreds more, totaling millions. We don't know how long each cycle takes, but preliminary data for SARS-CoV-2 paired with stronger data from SARS-CoV suggests it is between seven and 36 hours. Viral loads have often peaked by day 4 or 5 of symptoms, but in more severe cases, peak viral loads may not occur until days 10 or 11, or even later. The incubation periodbetween infection and onset of symptoms is typically about 4 to 5 days. This means that there are generally 8 to 16 days of replication until viral loads peak, which is somewhere between 5 and 55 replication cycles that each have the opportunity to compound the number of viruses hundreds-fold.

When dealing with exponential growth, small increases in the seeding lead to huge increases on the back end.

Consider something familiar, like compound interest. If you put $100 into a retirement account that earns 8% per year for 50 years, you get $4,690.16 on the back end. If you add an extra $10, you don't get an extra $10 on the back end. You get an extra $469.02.

This, of course, is chump change compared to viral replication, because it takes a whole year to gain 8%. With this virus, we are dealing with something more like 60,000-70,000% every 7-36 hours over the course of 8 to 16 days.

ACE2 is the entryway for the virus to enter the cell. It's likely role would either be to increase the number of viruses that can enter cells, or to help them find an entryway sooner and enter faster, decreasing the average time it takes to complete a replication cycle. Either way, it's going to enhance the exponential growth.

Putting 10% more ACE2 into the equation to seed a faster replication time or a larger number of viruses that gain entry in each cell is going to lead to enormously more ACE2-hogging viruses on the back end, and they'll be able to do far more damage to ACE2 function than you gained with that 10% increase.

Imagine a situation where some thief decided to steal $100 from you every time your retirement account increased by $1. You aren't going to protect yourself by depositing more money in your retirement account to make up for it. No matter how much money you put into the account, you will lose far more on the back end. The math will never work in your favor.

If ACE2 enables viral replication and viral replication causes loss of ACE2, then trying to increase ACE2 with a nutrient to compensate for the loss of ACE2 that will happen on the other side of the viral infection is a losing game: you are trying to preserve the loss of ACE2 with a linear effect of a nutrient while enabling exponential growth of the ACE2-smashing virus.

This is supported by data from miceinfected with the first SARS virus. Mice can only be infected if they are genetically engineered to have the human version of ACE2. When the mice were given doses of SARS-CoV that killed all of the ones expressing human ACE2 within seven days, the ones that had more copies of the human gene died faster. Among mice with four copies, half were dead by day 5, three quarters were dead by day 6, and the rest were dead by day 7. Among mice with 8 or 10 copies, all the mice were dead by day 5.

Even though virus-induced loss of ACE2 function plays an important role in the severity of the disease, more ACE2 still means more virus, and it's the virus doing all the damage.

We Can't Generalize From Models Where ACE2 Doesn't Enable the Cause of Lung Injury
Dr. Patrick continues:

Here's where vitamin D deficiency comes in…

Vitamin D deficiency leads to overexpression of renin (an enzyme produced in the kidneys) and subsequent activation of the renin-angiotensin system, a critical regulator of blood pressure, inflammation, and body fluid homeostasis. Loss of ACE2 function in the setting of SARS-CoV-2 infection upsets the balance of this critical system, promoting neutrophil infiltration, excessive inflammation, and lung injury. If lung injury progresses to hypoxia, the kidneys release renin, setting up a vicious cycle for decreasing ACE2.

In turn, lower levels of ACE2 promote more damage, culminating in acute respiratory distress syndrome, or ARDS. a severe form of acute lung injury that occurs in as many as 17 percent of all COVID-19 cases and can lead to respiratory failure and death.

But vitamin D acts as an endocrine repressor of the renin-angiotensin system by downregulating the expression of renin, the rate-limiting enzyme of the renin-angiotensin cascade, and rescuing lung function.

A preclinical model of acute lung injury showed that administration of vitamin D provided protection against lung injury by increasing ACE2 levels and decreasing renin production.

Here's the kicker: The acute lung injury led to a decrease in ACE2, driving even worse lung injury. Vitamin D supplementation increased ACE2 receptor levels, but only in conditions of acute lung injury where ACE2 levels decreased. When vitamin D was given to control animals, it didn't increase ACE2 levels. This means that vitamin D normalizes ACE2 levels in situations only where it is decreased.

I cited the exact same study in The Food and Supplement Guide for the Coronavirus. Although vitamin D made the lung outcomes better in this case, this was a model where ACE2 did not play a direct role in the cause of the lung injury. In this case, it was caused by lipopolysaccharide (LPS), a substance from the cell walls of certain types of bacteria that causes inflammation. Quite obviously in COVID-19, where ACE2 enables viral entry and the virus itself is the cause of lung damage, and where lost ACE2 function is only one of many parts of how it causes lung damage, the tables could be completely turned.

In this particular study, the effect of vitamin D on ACE2 was shown in pulmonary vascular endothelial cells, the cells lining the blood vessels that feed the lung. In those cells, vitamin D didn't raise ACE2 unless the ACE2 had been suppressed by LPS first.

These are not the main expressers of ACE2 in the lung, however. It is actuallygoblet cells, which make mucous, and ciliated cells, which have hairlike projections that move mucous and debris along, that account for most of the lung's ACE2.

In another study, vitamin D did nothing to ACE2 expression in the kidneys of control rats, but diabetes raised ACE2, and adding vitamin D to the mix raised ACE2 even further than diabetes did alone. In the brains of rats, vitamin D does increase ACE2 in control animals, as well as in animals with high blood pressure. In fact, it increased ACE2 by 50% in the healthy control animals. So it's not true that “vitamin D normalizes ACE2 levels in situations only where it is decreased,” as Dr. Patrick claimed.

We do not at this time know how vitamin D impacts the expression of ACE2 in the goblet and ciliated cells of the lung. The balance of data indicates that it increases ACE2 across multiple cell and tissue types, and that this sometimes, but not always, leads to substantially greater than normal expression of ACE2, not just rescuing the loss of ACE2. There is no basis for assuming this would protect lung health in the context of COVID-19, where the cause of the lung injury is the virus whose infection is enabled by ACE2.

Other Circumstantial Evidence
In the YouTube video, Dr. Patrick makes some additional points:

• ACE2 decreases with age, and is lower in males than females, and it is older males who are at the greatest risk of severe cases.
  • COVID-19 hospitalization rates are higher in obese, African Americans, Somali immigrants in Sweden, and older people, all of whom have lower vitamin D status.
She cites a paper showing that ACE2 declines with age, and does so more in males than females, in the lungs of rats. However, ACE2 expression was recently measured in the lungs of humans, and it did not differ by age or sex.

While I think it is plausible that the second set of associations is explained by poor vitamin D status (and, if so, that it is for completely other reasons than the effect of vitamin D on ACE2), there could easily be other explanations. For example, hypertension is more prevalent among obese people, African Americans, males, and older people. Hypertension doubles the risk of needing ventilation in COVID-19, and is more strongly associated with ventilation requirement than age, breathing rate, diabetes, heart disease, and chronic obstructive lung disease. My suspicion is that this is because hypertension is associated with poor function of the lining of the blood vessel, called “endothelial dysfunction.” When humans are subject to acute hypoxia, those with hypertension are less able to adapt by supplying a larger amount of blood to the tissues that are starving for oxygen. I suspect poor endothelial dysfunction also prevents COVID-19 patients with low oxygen levels in their blood from compensating in the same way.

These explanations are not mutually exclusive. Vitamin D status below a certain threshold might, despite the ACE2 issue, compromise immunity or worsen the risk of inflammation, and yet hypertension could be a major explanation for all these associations as well.

These explanations are also not the only ones available to us.

I believe we will have to be patient and analyze the data as it continues to emerge for quite some time before we can confidently explain all of the associations between demographics and disease risk.

The Bottom Line
I maintain my position that we should take a conservative stance toward vitamin D supplementation at this time:

• I would not attempt to induce a vitamin D deficiency under any circumstances.
  • I would not stop using vitamin D if it is providing a clearly identifiable benefit. However, I would attempt to find the lowest dose that provides this benefit.
  • I would take a conservative approach toward supplementing on a theoretical basis. Arguments for maintaining 25(OH)D levels above 30 ng/mL (75 nmol/L) in the general population are weak. All-cause mortality is lowest at about 28 ng/mL according to one meta-analysis of eight European studies, seven conducted in the general population, pooling data from just under 27,000 people. Another widely circulated meta-analysisshowing a bottoming-out in the 40-60 ng/mL range derived it's data in that range entirely from a conference abstract. If that one outlier is removed, as can clearly be seen in Figure 4 of the paper, the bottoming out of all-cause mortality is below 40 ng/mL and probably close to 30 ng/mL. This is consistent with the amount needed to maximally suppress parathyroid hormone (PTH) in most people, which is the body's own sign of inadequacy in the vitamin D and calcium economy.
  • Personally, I believe until we understand the relationship between vitamin D and COVID-19 risk much more clearly, it is best to continue to eat vitamin D-containing foods (e.g. fatty fish and pastured egg yolks), get normal outdoor sun exposure, and leave it at that.
  • The upper bound of what I would consider reasonable, based on what is likely needed to maintain 30 ng/mL (75 nmol/L) for most people, would be 1700 IU per day.
Stay safe,
Chris

OP
RealNeat

RealNeat

At the end of March, a New York City doctor drew massive attention with his claim, published in a YouTube video, that COVID-19 was more similar to altitude sickness than to acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS), and that it was being treated the wrong way.

At the root of his claim was that ARDS patients typically have muscles that can no longer support their own breathing, thus requiring mechanical ventilation. By contrast, COVID-19 patients can breathe fine, but they are starving for oxygen.

On Twitter, I pointed out that the Italians had already beat him too it, publishing about this in a peer-reviewed journal. They wrote that COVID-19 patients have an “atypical form” of ARDS, where the mechanical function of their lungs is preserved, but they have severe hypoxemia, meaning severely low levels of oxygen in their blood.

The Italians published new researchtoday as a preprint* shedding light on how the hypoxemia might develop. This is the first release of findings from a large number of post-mortem analyses conducted on the lungs of people who died from COVID-19.

They found increased numbers of megakaryocytes in the lung capillaries, which are bone marrow cells responsible for making the platelets that are needed to form blood clots. 33 out of 38 patients had blood clots in the lung arteries. Had they been able to observe the clotting in real-time over the course of the disease, they may have seen these blood clots in all 38 patients. They suggested that the blood clots interfere with the delivery of oxygen to the blood and explain the hypoxemia of severe COVID-19 cases.

The capillaries were congested, which happens when blood clots in larger vessels prevent blood from moving smoothly out of them.

In the elderberry issue, I suggested based on findings in SARS that macrophages accumulate in the lungs and drive the inflammation. Indeed, they found “a large number” of macrophages in the alveolar lumens, which are the open spaces within tiny sacs where gas exchange takes place.

The macrophages may be generating cytokines such as interleukin-6 (IL-6) that increase the formation of blood clots. In the April 6 issue of this newsletter, I reviewed a paper showing that blood levels of IL-6 could predict who would go on to require ventilation with stunning accuracy. In that same paper, the level of D-dimer, a protein formed from the breakdown of blood clots, was nearly twice as high in the patients who required mechanical ventilation than in other severe cases.

Together these data support an emerging picture wherein inflammatory macrophages accumulate in the lung in response to the viral infection; they make cytokines such as IL-6 that increase the formation of blood clots; clotting in the small arteries of the lungs blocks the flow of blood, backing up blood in the capillaries, and preventing adequate oxygen from reaching the systemic circulation.

Theoretically drugs that block the actions of IL-6 or that reduce clotting could be useful.

Another preprint released today looked retrospectively at people who were and weren't treated with IL-6 blockers. It wasn't randomized and it is possible that randomized controlled trials (RCTs) will wind up undermining its conclusions, but patients who took the IL-6-blocking drugs had a 58% lower risk of going on to need mechanical ventilation and a 75% lower risk of dying. 3 out of the 30 patients had adverse outcomes that might have been related to treatment, two with mild damage to liver cells and one who acquired pneumonia from ventilation. There are three RCTs of IL-6 blockers underway, and we should have far more reliable results soon.

There currently are no evaluations of the safety or efficacy of anticoagulants in COVID-19.

It is important not to jump to conclusions here and use drugs with anti-clotting activity, such as NSAIDs, to treat COVID-19 before we have more data. Such drugs can alter levels of PGE2, a substance that is involved in blood clotting, but which also can promote or inhibit viral growth, depending on the virus.

Many nutrients and natural remedies impact blood clotting. I will be keeping a special lookout for evidence that any nutritional or herbal substances that affect clotting could impact the severity of COVID-19 and report what I find in this newsletter.

Stay safe,
Chris

OP
RealNeat

RealNeat

Today I was made aware of a preprint* that was most recently revised yesterday with specific data on vitamin D status. This is the first observational study that has, to my knowledge, addressed how vitamin D levels correlate with COVID-19 severity.

A researcher from the Philippines used the data from three South Asian hospitals to examine the association between 25(OH)D, the principal marker of vitamin D status, and severity of COVID-19 among 212 confirmed cases.

The Results
The categories of COVID-19 severity were defined as follows:

• Mild: no pneumonia
  • Ordinary: pneumonia, fever, and respiratory symptoms
  • Severe: hypoxia and respiratory distress
  • Critical: respiratory failure requiring intensive care
In ng/mL (multiply by 2.5 to get nmol/L), the average 25(OH)D among the cases was 23.8.

Among mild cases, it was, on average, 31.2; among ordinary cases, it was 27.4; among severe cases, it was 21.2; among critical cases, it was 17.1.

Vitamin D status was also categorized as follows:

• Normal: >30
  • Insufficient: 21-29
  • Deficient: <20
Only 26% of the cases had 25(OH)D in the normal range, and virtually all of them (86%) had a mild outcome. A small proportion (7.3%) had an ordinary outcome, and smaller proportions had severe (3.6%) or critical (3.6%) outcomes.

Just over a third (38%) had 25(OH)D in the insufficient range, and only one of them (1.3%) had a mild outcome. Almost half of them (44%) had an ordinary outcome. Just over a quarter (29%) had a severe outcome, and another quarter (26%) had a critical outcome.

Just over a third (36%) had 25(OH)D in the deficient range, and their distribution was pushed further toward severe and critical outcomes. Only one patient (1.4%) had a mild outcome, while 26% had an ordinary outcome, 40% had a severe outcome, and 33% had a critical outcome.

What Is the Optimal Level of 25(OH)D?
This study is small, cross-sectional rather than prospective, and non-randomized, and therefore should not be used to infer cause and effect relationships.

However, if we take the numbers at face value, what 25(OH)D is associated with the best outcome?

The mild cases had a mean 25(OH)D of 31.2, with a standard deviation of 1.08. Assuming a nicely shaped bell curve for the distribution, this suggests that 95% of all mild cases fell between the mean plus or minus two standard deviations, which is between 29 and 33.4.

2.5% of people would fall outside the distribution on the high end, and another 2.5% would fall outside it on the low end. So, two things are true:

• 97.5% of mild cases had 25(OH)D that was 29 ng/mL or higher.
  • 97.5% of mild cases had 25(OH)D that was 33.4 ng/mL or lower.
This study provides no information on how vitamin D levels above 34 ng/mL associate with COVID-19 severity. We cannot rule out a U-shaped curve, where higher levels associate with greater severity, at this time.

Does This Represent Cause and Effect?
The relationship between vitamin D and inflammation is a two-way street. The activation of immune cells causes them to use up vitamin D by converting it to its active hormonal form, calcitriol. Inflammation thus decreases 25(OH)D. Nevertheless, the fact that immune cells activate vitamin D for their own purposes means that vitamin D is essential to immune function.

Whenever we see an association between low vitamin D and infectious disease or immune dysfunction, it is possible that the disease itself is depleting the vitamin D. It is also possible that low vitamin D as a result of low dietary intake or low sunshine exposure led to the disease.

If the disease caused the low vitamin D in the first place, this doesn't rule out the possibility that vitamin D supplementation would improve the course of the disease. It may in some cases, and may not in others.

Let's consider some cause-and-effect hypotheses.

What Might Explain These Results?
As I noted previously, the best predictors of severity are low lymphocytes and high interleukin-6 (IL-6). As I noted in the elderberry post, one study identified the strongest predictor as the ratio of neutrophils to CD4 and CD8 T cells, which are subsets of lymphocytes. We don't know for sure that altering these markers will alter the course of the disease, but it's a very reasonable hypothesis that it would.

What do we know about how vitamin D impacts these markers in other contexts?

Vitamin D and Lymphocytes
In the context of HIV, vitamin D deficiency is associated with lower CD4 T cell counts in some but not allstudies. However, vitamin D supplementation does not raise the CD4 T cell counts (here, here, or here).

Similarly, in postmenopausal women, vitamin D does not alter lymphocyte counts.

However, in the context of tuberculosis, vitamin D supplementation increases lymphocyte counts, and in adolescent girls, vitamin D decreases the ratio of neutrophils to lymphocytes.

That at least one study in HIV found that low vitamin D levels correlate with low CD4T cells, yet at least three studies found that supplementation had no effect, shows that correlations between vitamin D and immune parameters do not always represent cause-and-effect relationships, and could represent the immune dysfunction itself lowering both vitamin D status and CD4 T cells. This warrants caution for assuming that vitamin D supplementation could help with COVID-19.

On the other hand, the fact that vitamin D supplementation does increase lymphocytes and does decrease the neutrophil-to-lymphocyte ratio in some contexts makes it plausible that vitamin D might do those same things in the context of COVID-19, which might reduce the severity of the disease.

Vitamin D and IL-6
A meta-analysis of four trials in middle-age and older-adults found no effect of vitamin D on IL-6. Another meta-analysis reported four studies that all found no effect of vitamin D on IL-6 in hemodialysis patients. Another pooled the results of eight studies and reported no effect in obese and overweight subjects. In diabetes, three out of five studies found that IL-6 was lower in vitamin D supplementation groups than in controls, but statistical significance was only achieved in one study, and when the results of the five studies were pooled together, they were not statistically significant.

However, in heart failure, vitamin D supplementation reduced IL-6 in one trial but not another. In diabetic kidney disease, vitamin D supplementation reduced IL-6 in all three trials.

Intramuscular injection of 300,000 IU vitamin D reduced IL-6 in patients with ventilator-associated pneumonia. Since COVID-19 causes pneumonia, this is arguably the context that is most relevant to COVID-19.

The Most Likely Explanation
It seems as though vitamin D has very little impact on IL-6 in studies of chronic illness where the inflammation is typically moderate, while it sometimes has a dramatic effect on IL-6 in severe or acute inflammatory conditions.

Since IL-6 can rise 10- or 20-fold higher than normal levels in COVID-19, it seems quite likely that vitamin D could help keep it closer to normal levels. Since IL-6 could be playing a direct role in hypoxemia and respiratory failure, that makes a strong case for testing whether vitamin D could prevent the disease from progressing in severity.

This seems like a stronger case than vitamin D altering lymphocyte counts, because the effect of vitamin D on IL-6 appears to depend on the severity of the inflammatory disease. By contrast, there a number of negative studies for vitamin D and lymphocyte counts in HIV, where lymphocyte counts really matter, and the contexts where it helps (tuberculosis, adolescent girls but not postmenopausal women) do not seem to have a consistent pattern.

However, these hypotheses are not mutually exclusive and there is no reason to assume vitamin D is limited to one important role.

Should Vitamin D Be Taken Preventatively, or in Response to COVID-19?
In principle, I find it most likely that vitamin D exerts most of its protection after someone becomes ill with COVID-19. In the IL-6 study I reviewed, IL-6 appeared to spike very early in the disease far higher than anyone would have normally, but it was the peak IL-6 reached over the course of the disease that determined whether someone wound up on a ventilator. Since vitamin D seems to reduce IL-6 in acute and severe cases, but not in chronic and moderate cases, I believe maintaining vitamin D levels during the active infection is what is likely to restrain IL-6 and possibly prevent the progression to a severe outcome.

We still do not have any data on how vitamin D impacts the likelihood someone will become infected or symptomatic.

It is entirely possible that a risk factor can protect against infection but promote severe progression, or increase the likelihood of infection while preventing severe progression.

For example, in COVID-19 and the Smoking Paradox, I hypothesized that smoking may decrease infection risk because of the toxic effects that free radicals in the smoke could have on the virus, while promoting disease severity by increasing ACE2 and thus increasing viral load.

Conversely, vitamin D may increase infection risk because it increases ACE2 but does not, unlike smoke, have directly toxic effects on the virus. It may, further, increase viral load, since the ACE2 would be expected to seed exponential growth of the virus. However, if it also restrains IL-6 from reaching extremely high levels, it may ultimately prevent the worst manifestations of the disease.

Nevertheless, given that the 25(OH)D levels associated with a mild outcome (29-34 ng/mL) are consistent with those needed to maximize the absorption of calcium from food, protect bone health, and minimize all-cause mortality (as I pointed out in my response to Rhonda Patrick), it seems wisest and simplest to me to keep 25(OH)D in this range prophylactically.

With that said, I strongly recommend that physicians involved in COVID-19 treatment test and publish the effect of correcting low 25(OH)D on COVID-19 outcomes.

How I am Changing My Position
My position that vitamin D may raise ACE2, which may increase the risk of getting COVID-19, remains the same. I remain concerned that high vitamin D levels may, through this mechanism, make COVID-19 outcomes more severe.

However, I believe this new data justifies putting a tentative floor of 29 ng/mL on the acceptable 25(OH)D level during the COVID-19 crisis.

Rather than using food and sunshine as a general default, I think the best default is to shoot for a 25(OH)D of 30 ng/mL. The average person needs 900 IU/d to achieve this, and 97.5% of people need no more than 1700 IU to achieve this. You can test your level with a home kit, such as those offered by Grassroots Health.

I do not recommend shooting for higher levels and I remain concerned that higher levels could be associated with higher risk through a U-shaped curve.

I plan to update The Food and Supplement Guide for the Coronavirustomorrow to reflect this. If you purchase it now, you will get the current version now and will then get the free update immediately upon release.

The Bottom Line
Vitamin D levels below 29-34 ng/mL are associated with more severe COVID-19 outcomes. This is based on a small, cross-sectional, observational study, and could easily be revised by data that comes in later.

We do not know if higher levels are also associated with more severe disease through a U-shaped curve, and we currently have no data on how vitamin D impacts the risk of getting COVID-19 in the first place.

Although we cannot be sure that vitamin D is protective, the most likely explanation for this is that maintaining healthy vitamin D levels restrains the massive increase in IL-6 that may occur in severe cases of COVID-19, and thereby stops IL-6 from contributing to the increased blood clotting and low oxygen levels that can render the disease course critical or deadly.

My position is that we should maintain 25(OH)D levels close to 30 ng/mL.

Stay safe,
Chris

OP
RealNeat

RealNeat

In The Food and Supplement Guide for the Coronavirus, I predicted that interferon contributes to the lung pathology of COVID-19 and could worsen the risk of severe disease and death. As a result, I screened all of the antiviral and immune support supplements I was considering for inclusion and recommended against anything that appeared to exert its antiviral activity primarily or substantially by promoting interferon. A new preprint* released today confirms my prediction.

My rationale had been as follows. SARS-CoV, the coronavirus that causes SARS, and MERS-CoV, the coronavirus that causes MERS, are both known to initially evade and suppress the initial interferon response, and to later lead to a dysregulated and excessive burst of interferon that damages the lungs. In humans with SARS, type 2 interferon plays an important role in the cytokine storm. Type 1 interferon damages the lungs and kills mice infected with SARS-CoV, the coronavirus that causes SARS, even though it prevents death in mice infected with flu or hepatitis viruses, and is broadly protective against viruses in general. Since SARS-CoV-2, the coronavirus that causes COVID-19, is 87% similar to to SARS-CoV, similar enough to be named after it, I believed the chances were high that interferon would turn out to be similarly harmful in COVID-19.

As a result, until more information comes in that may refute such a prediction, supplements that boost interferon strike me as potentially dangerous wild cards.

The new study released today confirmed that interferon plays similarly damaging roles in animal models of COVID-19.

They first tested the role of T cells, B cells, and interferon in mice that had only their own native ACE2. ACE2 is the entryway for the virus into cells, but mouse ACE2 is different enough from human ACE2 that the virus can't use it very effectively. The mice did develop infections, but with very little replication of the virus, very low viral loads, and very little damage to their tissues. Eliminating T cells and B cells made no difference. Eliminating the response to type 1 interferon increased viral loads and lung pathology somewhat, but didn't make the infection bad enough to consider it a useful model of human COVID-19.

These initial results showed three things:

• The lack of human ACE2 strongly limits the level of viral infection that can be achieved in the mice.
  • In a low-level infection, the viral load is the main determinant of what little lung pathology there is.
  • In a low-level infection, interferon restricts the virus from replicating, but B cells and T cells do not.
Then they tested the role of interferons in Syrian hamsters. The hamster ACE2 is similar enough to the human ACE2 to allow a major infection, so hamsters proved to be a much better model.

They engineered the hamsters to lack proteins known as STAT2 and IL28R. Hamsters lacking STAT2 cannot respond to type 1 or type 3 interferon. Hamsters lacking IL28R lose their response only to type 3 interferon. The difference between hamsters without IL28R and normal hamsters shows the effect of type 3 interferon, and the difference between hamsters without STAT2 and hamsters without IL28R shows the effect of type 1 interferon.

The hamsters developed severe pneumonia that could be shown on CT scans, like human COVID-19.

Type 1 interferon, but not type 3, reduced the amount of virus in the lungs, the blood, the spleen, the liver, and the gastrointestinal tract.

Type 3 interferon made a modest contribution to the lung pathology, while type 1 interferon was the main contributor to lung pathology. In fact, removing the response to type 1 and type 3 interferons cut the lung pathology to only one-third the level that occurred in normal hamsters. Moreover, the CT scan-verified COVID-19-like pneumonia was completely absent in hamsters lacking the response to type 1 interferon.

These results are somewhat paradoxical, because they show that type 1 interferon restricts the replication of the virus and its spread to areas outside of the lung, yet is completely responsible for the pneumonia found on a CT scan and is the major driver of inflammation in the lung.

Until further data makes a clearer picture, I consider this confirmation that we should be very cautious with any supplements whose antiviral activities are primarily mediated through stimulation of interferon.

Stay safe,
Chris

OP
RealNeat

RealNeat

The first study on vitamin D and COVID-19 was released as a preprint* on April 23, and a second study was released as a preprint on April 26. Here's what we can learn from the second study. The first study, which I reported on a few days ago, focused on disease severity, while the second one, which I'm reporting on here, focused on mortality.

The Results
The electronic health records of 780 laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 cases from the government hospitals of Indonesia between March 2 and April 24 was searched for data on vitamin D status prior to admission, age, sex, preexisting conditions, and mortality. Vitamin D status was classified as normal (≥30 ng/mL), insufficient (21-29 ng/mL), or deficient (≤20 ng/mL).

The majority of cases (59%) were below age 50, and 83% of them were alive and still in the hospital at the time of writing.

The mean age of those that died was 65, while the mean age those who lived was 46.

Two thirds of those who died were male, while only one third were female.

85% of those who died had preexisting conditions. The specific conditions were not reported.

Just under half (49.7%) of cases had normal vitamin D status, and only 4% of them died.

Just over a quarter (27%) had insufficient vitamin D status, and most of them (88%) died. Just under a quarter (23%) had deficient vitamin D status, and almost all of them (99%) died.

Without adjusting for age, sex, or preexisting conditions, those with vitamin D insufficiency were 12.55 times as likely to die and those with deficiency were 19.12 times as likely to die. After adjusting for age, sex, and preexisting conditions, those with insufficiency were 7.63 times as likely to die and those with deficiency were 10.12 times as likely to die.

What We Already Knew
Based on the first study, this is what we already knew:

• In South Asian hospitals, those with vitamin D in the insufficiency range at the onset of symptoms are much more likely to have a more severe case, while those in the deficiency range at the onset of symptoms are even more likely to have a more severe case.
  • Those with mild cases had an average 25(OH)D of 31.2, and while the range was not reported, the standard deviation suggests that virtually all of them had 25(OH)D no higher than 34 ng/mL.
Here is what we didn't know:

• The age, sex, and other conditions of the patients that could influence both vitamin D status and/or the course of severity.
  • What proportion died.
  • Whether a higher 25(OH)D is associated with a worse outcome in a U-shaped curve.
  • Whether the 25(OH)D prior to getting infected, versus at the onset of symptoms, influences the course of severity.
  • Whether prospective studies would confirm that low 25(OH)D can predict the future risk of a severe or fatal case.
  • Whether the association is replicable outside of South Asia.
  • Whether the association represents cause-and-effect.
  • The mechanisms underlying the effect, if there is one.
  • Whether vitamin D status is associated with the risk of getting infected in the first place.
Here is what I suggested:

• Keeping 25(OH)D close to 30 ng/mL may restrict extreme elevations of interleukin-6 (IL-6) during the course of the disease, and thereby prevent manifestations of severe disease such as blood clotting, hypoxia, respiratory distress, and respiratory failure.
  • Given the things we still don't know, listed above, our confidence in this should be modest and any conclusions could easily be overturned in the future.
  • There is ample reason to be cautious of the risk of a U-shaped curve, given that it remains a viable hypothesis that vitamin D could increase infection risk or disease severity by increasing ACE2. Therefore, we should avoid vitamin D status above 34 ng/mL until data arrives shedding light on the risk associated with that range, unless receiving clear and conclusive benefits from higher levels for other reasons, or unless higher levels are medically necessary.
What This Study Adds
This study adds several novel insights:

• Vitamin D status is associated with mortality, not just disease severity.
  • This is true using pre-admission vitamin D status, though it is not clear how far back the measurement goes and whether the data was pre-infection.
  • The association persists after adjusting for age, sex, and preexisting conditions. This is very useful for age and sex, since it is clear that vitamin D is not the ultimate cause of someone's age or sex. However, whether the data should be existed for preexisting conditions is difficult to say, as low vitamin D status itself could contribute to the preexisting condition.
  • The association is now found in a Southeast Asian country (Indonesia) and not just in South Asian countries.
What Remains Unknown
We still don't know these things:

• Whether a higher 25(OH)D is associated with a worse outcome in a U-shaped curve. The second study did not provide any information about the range or distribution of 25(OH)D among surviving cases, so I have not altered my upper limit of 34 ng/mL.
  • Whether the 25(OH)D prior to getting infected influences the course of severity.
  • Whether prospective studies would confirm that low 25(OH)D can predict the future risk of a severe or fatal case.
  • Whether the association is replicable outside of South and Southeast Asia.
  • Whether the association represents cause-and-effect.
  • The mechanisms underlying the effect, if there is one.
  • Whether vitamin D status is associated with the risk of getting infected in the first place.
How This Study Impacts My Position on Vitamin D
The first study had altered my position on vitamin D from sticking to food and sunshine and avoiding supplementation that isn't medically necessary to aiming for 30 ng/mL and trying to stay away from levels above 34 ng/mL.

This study does not change my position any further, but it does reinforce the findings of the first study, and strengthen my confidence in my new position slightly. Randomized controlled trials will be needed for high confidence.

Version 3 of The Food and Supplement Guide for the Coronavirus
Version 3 of The Food and Supplement Guide for the Coronavirus is now out with my updated stance on vitamin D and my unaltered stance on interferon-boosting supplements.

Purchasing a copy will help support my work on this free newsletter. You can purchase a copy here.

Stay safe,
Chris

OP
RealNeat

RealNeat

The Virus Has Mutated to Spread Faster

Researchers from the United States and the United Kingdom have collaborated to produce a data collection pipeline that identifies potentially important mutations in the coronavirus in real-time as genome sequences are submitted to the Global Initiative for Sharing All Influenza Data (GISAID). The first tool they developed focuses on mutations in the spike protein, the protein on the virus's surface that it uses to infect cells. When the tool identifies mutations that could infect the ability of the virus to spread or the severity of disease, the team immediately initiates testing to identify the precise effects of the mutation.

Today they released a preprint* identifying the mutations in the spike protein that had accumulated through April 13.

The most important of these is D614G. The original form of the virus from Wuhan has the D allele, while the mutated form has the G allele.

Prior to March, the D allele was practically universal. In March, the G allele began spreading. It spread first in Europe. In every community it entered, it rose rapidly, often becoming the dominant form within a few weeks. By April, the G allele was dominant in Europe, Canada, and the United States.

The original D allele retained complete dominance over Asian countries through mid-March. In Asian countries outside of China, the G allele began spreading in mid-March. We don't know what happened in China, because China mostly stopped submitted genomic data to GISAID by March 1.

Some early Chinese samples did contain the G allele, but it appears to have begun its global spread in Germany.

That the G allele rapidly becomes dominant in most of the communities in which it is introduced suggests that it has an advantage in these environments and spreads more easily than the D allele. We do not currently know what makes it spread more easily, but there are several hypotheses that all have some support:

• In order to fuse to the cell membrane and gain entry, the spike protein needs to be cleaved in half after it initially binds to ACE2. The mutation is in a portion of the protein that causes the two halves to stick together. If the mutation makes them stick to each other less easily, it could enhance their separation and allow the virus to fuse with the membrane more easily.
  • Although it is not present in the part of the protein that binds to ACE2 (known as the “receptor-binding domain” or RBD), it is present in an area that might effect whether the RBD faces in the right direction when the spike protein is attempting to bind to ACE2. That might indirectly make it better able to bind to ACE2.
  • It is present in a part of the protein that is known to be targeted by antibodies in the context of the first SARS virus. In fact, it lies at the interface of one portion targeted by beneficial antibodies and another portion targeted by harmful antibodies. The beneficial antibodies are those we usually think of, the ones that neutralize the virus and protect against infection. The harmful ones participate in antibody-dependent enhancement. They actually bind to the spike protein and enhance its ability to gain entry into the cell. The mutation might help the virus evade the beneficial antibodies, or might help it take advantage of the harmful ones even better.
To see whether the mutation impacted the clinical outcome, they examined its prevalence in 453 cases in Sheffield, England. 165 of these were outpatients, 245 were hospitalized, and 23 entered the ICU. The G form was present in 75% of outpatients, 71% of inpatients, and 87% of ICU patients. These differences were not statistically significant. The mutation does not seem to impact severity of the clinical course, though, despite the lack of statistical significance, the data are consistent with a higher proportion in ICU. If it does impact severity, a much larger sample size would be needed to show it clearly.

The mutation was, however, associated with a slightly higher viral load.

Despite the plausible hypotheses for how the spike protein makes the virus so much more spreadable, the increased transmissibility could be a result of another mutation. In five out of seven cases, there are two other mutations that accompany the G allele: one is silent (meaning it doesn't make the viral proteins any different) and one impacts an enzyme involved in copying the virus's genetic information. Together, they make what the authors call the “G clade.” It is conceivable that the spike protein mutation is not the driving force behind the dominance of the G clade.

The paper identifies 12 other potentially important mutations in the spike protein, but none of them, as of yet, have clear implications for the ability of the virus to spread or cause disease.

I see two big implications of this research:

• If the virus develops mutations that have such a huge impact on its ability to spread this fast, this might make it a moving target for both natural antibodies needed for immunity, and antibodies provoked by vaccines. The more of a moving target the virus is, the greater risk that people could get reinfected after getting sick the first time, and the harder it would be to develop herd immunity or an effective vaccine.
  • Given that some antibodies enhance disease, and that the virus's interaction with those antibodies may be a moving target as well, suggests that antibody testing should not be regarded as a means of testing who is immune until the effects of the antibodies are studied much more clearly. If done properly, they should be good markers of exposure, however.
We should not be pursuing exposure for the sake of herd immunity as some suggest, nor should we interpret positive antibody tests as signs of immunity, nor should we place our hopes in an eventual vaccine (which is just a coin toss at this point). I believe this supports my current stance that we should continue limiting exposure and supporting our defenses.

Stay safe,
Chris

Moshi

@yoshiesque - in the CM Covid supplement guide - what is the verdict re:bioflavonoids / citrus / hesperidin for example? Does he mention this?

yoshiesque

@yoshiesque - in the CM Covid supplement guide - what is the verdict re:bioflavonoids / citrus / hesperidin for example? Does he mention this?

Yes he does. its a bit of a lengthy document (and still imo useless). Here it is:

The Essentials:
- Elderberry
- Nutritional Zinc
- Ionic Zinc Lozenge or spray
- Copper

These Might Help (Optional Add-Ons)
- Garlic or Stabilized Allicin:
- Echinacea
- Vitamin C
- N-Acetyl-Cysteine (NAC)

Claims to limit high dose Vit A & D. Limit Calcium and not use calcium supps that arnt balanced with phosphate. Dont use monolaurin. Don’t Use High-Dose Vitamin C, Pelargonium Sidoides (Umcka), or Bee Propolis

Its a 41 page document. I still think Masterjohn is a specialist type researcher who cant see broad context like Ray Peat can. It seems Ray peat has a far better understanding of viruses especially on HIV/AIDs.

I just cant see Masterjohn realy having an decent understanding on viruses. He also thinks ACE2 is bad. When kids have plenty of it. And has not mentioned Losartan I think.

In the end I went with Ray Peat guidelines:
- Vitamin D
- Vitamin A
- Thyroid
- Progesterone when I CBF
- Aspirin Daily
- Coffee, good nutrient dense food (well nourished as he says)
- and if i get the virus, Losartan will be my treatment plan.

Although I dont care anymore. I am now worried about the potential of forced mandatory vaccines and the roll out of 5g towers that are going to be so close to our brains that it will probably cause some kind of serious damage.

OP
RealNeat

RealNeat

I will no longer be posting full articles here so if anyone wants to stay up to date on what Chris is posting they can go here COVID-19 Archives | Chris Masterjohn, PhD or sign up via email.

@yoshiesque I agree with Peat a lot more and Chris's latest article confirms Peats views on the safety of Losartan.

Motif

Is there any real reliable proof that losartan helps with CoViD19?

And is they’re an alternative for it?

I can’t get that stuff over here in Germany

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals