All Bacteria Is Bad?

scoobydoo

I was reading some threads on here from @haidut and some others regarding the microbiome. Haidut seems to be under the belief that we should try and clear the SI and colon of most bacteria. This is an interesting topic for myself having dealt with lots of health issues including really bad SIBO. With my practioner I spoke about this and he cited lots of studies showing the benefits of balancing the gut with certain strains of bacteria. I also did a stool test which showed I was low in Bacteroides, Bifidobacterium, Lactobacillus as well as a few others....

It is shown in several of the studies that these bacterium can improve estrogen clearance, insulin sensitivity and therefore carb tolerance, lactose tolerance, and more.

Here are some of the studies he provided arguing why it is important to refeed a depleted gut such as my own.

Bacteroides: The Good, The Bad, The nitty Gritty

This study above is my favorite because it gives the pros and cons of these bacteria and seems to state that the negatives are often due to other pathogens or bacteria causing disruption. It definitely does not state however that all bacteria should be cleared.

The Role of Eubacterium on Periodontal Disease

In vivo effects of bifidobacteria and lactoferrin on gut endotoxin concentration

Suppression of gut dysbiosis by Bifidobacterium longum alleviates cognitive decline

"Of these, NK46 most potently inhibited LPS production and fecal bacterial growth (Fig. 1A,B). NK46 also potently inhibited LPS-induced NF-κB activation in microglial BV-2 cells (Fig. 1C). NK46 was identified as Bifidobacterium longum, based on the results of Gram staining"

This article alone to me shows promise of why probiotics when delivered properly can be very beneficial, rather than eliminating altogether

Would love to hear people's thoughts on this

Beastmode

Ray Peat has been saying this for years. When under stress, bacteria can create havoc....("good" or "bad" bacteria!)

OP
S

scoobydoo

Ray Peat has been saying this for years. When under stress, bacteria can create havoc....("good" or "bad" bacteria!)
Yes but eliminating bacteria all together? Seems like that could cause lots of issues. For instance low Bifidobacterium decreases carb tolerance and can cause blood sugar issues.

Beastmode

Yes but eliminating bacteria all together? Seems like that could cause lots of issues. For instance low Bifidobacterium decreases carb tolerance and can cause blood sugar issues.

I don't know if it's even possible to remove all bacteria, nor is it necessary. What I get from Peat is there hasn't been any reputable studies proving what mainstream science says about distinguishing between good or bad bacteria. It's more of looking at the organism and seeing what it does with what's present inside it under stressful situations.

There are plenty on here who can elaborate on that and/or correct what I wrote. I've been working off what Peat says after hearing him talk about fermented foods and how the countries who eat the most of it have the highest rates of stomach cancers....(something like that!)

somuch4food

My take is that maybe probiotics can kickstart a change in biome, however it is your diet, lifestyle and environment that dictates which bacteria will thrive within you. Probiotics aren't a silver bullet. If you stop them, your symptom will return. You also run the risk of worsening even more your biome instead of helping.

Many texts I've read mention how the biome of someone changes within a few days when travelling to another country. That's enough for me to understand that it's the terrain and not the bacteria that needs to be addressed.

CalmAmygdala

I’d love to hear other’s thoughts on this as well. I’m not well informed on this issue, but killing off all gut bacteria just seems a tad extreme