Alcoholism

Rachel

narouz said:
I confess I don't know the difference between "glutamine" and "glutamic acid."
But the quotes above would give me pause about glutamine.
Glutamine, in Peat's view, is part of the "excitatory amino acid system" along with aspartic acid
(is that the same as or similar in action to aspartame?).
Bingo, narouz!
Aspartame is made up of aspartic acid, phenylalanine, and methanol. Mmmmmm.
Glutamic and aspartic acid are excitotoxins, which damage and kill nerve cells.
Russell Blaylock wrote an excellent book about them called "Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills".
Here's an interview with Dr. Blaylock that might serve as a good introduction to the topic:
http://www.naturalnews.com/020550.html

Lofihi

ya glutamine for sure,,and {seperately?}N acetyl tyrosine, with dL-phenylelanine I ve seen 3people get off different substances from only low dose l'tyrosine. n'acetyl cysteine with3x vitamin c is a good attack on top of that, and niacin .R lipoic acid is supposed to help.I gave my sster 1 dose of only 500mg regular tyrosine and she was off nicotine,booze,cocaine... Thats a low low.dose.

narouz

Rachel said:
narouz said:
I confess I don't know the difference between "glutamine" and "glutamic acid."
But the quotes above would give me pause about glutamine.
Glutamine, in Peat's view, is part of the "excitatory amino acid system" along with aspartic acid
(is that the same as or similar in action to aspartame?).
Bingo, narouz!
Aspartame is made up of aspartic acid, phenylalanine, and methanol. Mmmmmm.
Glutamic and aspartic acid are excitotoxins, which damage and kill nerve cells.
Russell Blaylock wrote an excellent book about them called "Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills".
Here's an interview with Dr. Blaylock that might serve as a good introduction to the topic:
http://www.naturalnews.com/020550.html

Yeah, I think I've come across him before...and the "excitotoxins."
I was trying to figure out if it was okay to eat nutritional yeast (nope...glutamine :cry: ).
Thanks, Rachel!

Rachel

John Eels said:
I know of a person who is an alcaholic. He started drinking again a year ago. I am concerened about his health. He is in his fifties. He sleeps very poorly if at all. He's got issues with acid reflux. His mental state isn't in a much better condition either. He has flashbacks and difficulties being present. His psychiatrist recommends him psychotroopic substances but he refuses to take any medication as he has had bad experiences with them (tremendous weight gain, apathy, and blurred vision).

What are possible dietary, supplementary tactics to address above mentioned issues?
John, is your friend taking any thyroid meds? I stumbled across this the other day:
In hypothyroid people, there is a propensity toward alcohol and substance abuse. Early researchers noted that alcoholic beverages diminish hypothyroid symptoms. Dr. Barnes stated that he never treated an alcoholic patient who was not hypothyroid.
http://www.tuberose.com/HypothyroidSymptoms.html
Fascinating, huh?

That certainly explains a lot.

Parsifal

I'm Peating right but have huge cravings for Marijuana lately after 4 years of not touching it. But I know that it puts me in a seizure state so don't want to take it. It's the only thing that works against my anhedonia state and boosts my brain metabolism.

CoolTweetPete

chris said:
post 9496 When I was low carb I wanted to drink so much more than now.

I've also read recently histamine may be involved with addictions, so antihistamines may be something to try, if you can convince him to take them.

Same. I felt very compelled to begin drinking as soon as I'd get around my friends while eating a cyclical keto diet.

Since adopting a Peat-style nutrition plan in March, the desire has reduced dramatically.

Last edited by a moderator:

tara

Parsifal said:
post 106173 I'm Peating right but have huge cravings for Marijuana lately after 4 years of not touching it.
Maybe this is a sign that of not yet (p)eating optimally for you at this time?

Last edited by a moderator:

burtlancast

Hoffer treated successfully alcoholics with high niacin doses.
The head of Alcoholics Anonymous, himself an alcoholic, tried to include it in the program, but was dissuaded by internal politics.

I think too a B Complex would help.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals