Alcohol: Which Is Least Estrogenic?

Lord Tigris

I wonder what alcohol would be the least estrogenic?
Peat says that "small amounts of alcohol can have some good antioxidant effects, but beer, wine, and dark whiskey, etc., contain enough estrogen to be harmful.".
I read somewhere else that red wine has little estrogen, but according to Peat, this is not so.

Also, I wonder what would be the Peat-inspired strategies to reduce the damage when you want to indulge yourself in larger than small amounts? Coconut oil and aspirin would probably be on the top of the list. Anything else?

Ray-Z

I occasionally drink vodka made from potatoes, and find it relatively hypoallergenic (in contrast with beer and wine). :2cents

nwo2012

Ray-Z said:
I occasionally drink vodka made from potatoes, and find it relatively hypoallergenic (in contrast with beer and wine). :2cents

Yes one would assume vodka would be so. I think the purer the alcohol, the 'safer' it would be. Perhaps a pure grain alcohol, diluted in OJ, would be best.

OP
L

Lord Tigris

Thanks for the answers. I haven't had a single vodka shot probably for more than 10 years now - but I might switch from red wine to vodka soon :)

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Good call Shrimp! :drinkingbuddies

kettlebell

Yep, You cant beat rum and coke! I can get properly battered on that, two glass of OJ at the end of the night and wake up with no hangover, and I get EPIC hangovers normally - When I mix red wine, beer, jager meister and a litre of jack daniels.

jus d'orange

yeah thats weird - i get pretty hungover when I drink beer, and not nearly as much when I have tequila & tonic.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
kettlebell said:
Yep, You cant beat rum and coke! I can get properly battered on that, two glass of OJ at the end of the night and wake up with no hangover, and I get EPIC hangovers normally - When I mix red wine, beer, jager meister and a litre of jack daniels.

I was just searching today about if fructose raises metabolism and I kept running into studies and stuff that fructose increases metabolism of alcohol by 80%.

Close to the end of Ray's KMUD radio interview in October 2012 on antioxidants, they were discussing lipofuscin. Ray stated that new areas of outbreaks could be treated with vodka. I wasn't sure what he meant, either drinking or topical application. Does anyone know?

pboy

Probably rum, tequila, mead would be likely be the best...I handle sake the best for whatever reason but it is made from white rice so its not necessarily the greatest thing. I'm still trying
to figure out if I want to drink alcohol at all or nearly completely cut it out...I can say definatly that its best in only small amounts if at all (for me)

Peata

In my experience, red wine is highly estrogenic. I used to drink it most every day - absolutely loved it and thought I was doing something healthy. Two years after I started that, my consumption went up for some reason (increased anxiety creating a desire for more wine - creating more anxiety, etc. etc?) and I began to get bad reactions from it.

Even when I'd just have one drink, I began to react (anxiety, increased heart rate, feeling like I'd had a bottle of wine instead of one glass, etc). Also my skin started breaking out terribly - big, painful cysts. I'd get them on my forehead, cheeks, chin, but especially on my jawline and down onto my neck. The only time I'd get a little relief was maybe a couple days around ovulation. Not only was my skin breaking out constantly, but it was real oily, with a thicker than normal oil. This went on for a couple years while I tried various things to get my skin to settle down. To be honest, I didn't want to accept that it was my beloved red wine doing this to me, but the acne and other symptoms/other problems could not be ignored forever.

Last November I quit drinking entirely and my skin did get better. I stopped getting so oily and stopped getting the cysts, though I was still breaking out a little. But it was nothing compared to before!

Since Peating, my skin has improved even more. Also I've lost my taste for wine like I used to have, but have tried other kinds of alcohol here and there. The one that seems to settle the best with my system is rum. I've just used the plain, cheap diluted stuff from the grocery store. I mix it with OJ or Coke. I mostly reserve it for maybe a couple days a week and keep the consumption to maybe a couple drinks. No acne from it, and less of the symptoms I used to get.

Perhaps my body is healing with the Peat way -less PUFAs to react with the alcohol and all that, I don't know. Maybe I never would have seen the estrogenic issues with red wine if I'd just kept my consumption low and occasional in the first place. Either way, I do not want to drink too much, as I've seen the negative reactions it can cause in me, and having too much alcohol in one day or too many days in a row is still upsetting to my whole system, rum or not, Peating or not.

Just my :2cents

honeybee

the good stuff is made from real sugar cane.
I never have problems with vino rojo and estrogen.

HDD

I just read where Sardinian, Spanish, and some French wines are not estrognic. I am not sure if this is true. I had a small amount of Shiraz(Australian)last night and have had a headache all morning (not enough to give me a hangover). I took my supplements which included aspirin and have had coffee and sugar, still had a headache. I decided to have a carrot salad. Within minutes, moved bowels, headache gone!

HDD

Just to clarify, I am not promoting consumption of wine. I was just relating the correlation of headache (possibly from estrogen) and carrots benefits.

honeybee

haha I promote consumtion of vino every chance i get lol.
Anyway, I drink 95% vino de espana. Maybe thats why I don't have many issues. Only when I drink too much. :P

Peata

Diane, so interesting you got that kind of help from the carrot salad because I have had that same experience. I also am not promoting alcohol consumption, but have to say that I had relief of symptoms (caused by alcohol) after eating the carrot salad- I mean, within the hour of eating it. And not just from alcohol, but it also helped when I overindulged in food and regular beverages. That's what got me so gung-ho about the carrot salad - I had been suffering with indigestion for hours after a large meal and too much coffee, and finally had a carrot salad, even though I didn't feel like eating anything. Within the hour, I was fine. I could feel it working in my system bit by bit. It's almost a miracle dish, lol.

HDD

Yes, I find it really amazing. Something so simple as a carrot. My son also will eat the carrots and get almost immediate relief.

@honeybee I will be looking for that vino de espana!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Can anyone recommend the best rum? :drinkingbuddies

4peatssake

Charlie said:
Can anyone recommend the best rum? :drinkingbuddies
Here's a contender if you're a white rum connoisseur!
very-drunk.gif

68619_481516721905333_882631888_n.jpg

In a big victory (but no surprise to Rum Journal), the very new Papa’s Pilar Blonde took home the Best in Class in the White Rum category.
From the Rum XP 2013 Awards