Alcohol - The Good, The Bad, Etc

Orangeyouglad

I’ve been a LONG time lurker here and I’m grateful that I’ve found this community.

I’ve implemented a lot and like many of you, I’ve come from other dieting backgrounds (Keto, paleo, etc.) and I’ve felt at home here for the last year or so, implementing RP principles.

The reason I’ve come out of the woods is to talk about something no one here seems to agree 100% on - alcohol.

The one thing I really want to understand, and can’t get a clear understanding is the mechanism in which alcohol makes me feel, well, fantastic. Even the following day.

From what I understand, it could be and increase in GABA, or possibly lowering endotoxins. I also understand that it can lower test and raise estrogen, so I’m torn on what’s going on.

I don’t drink too often, maybe twice a week, and only a couple drinks, but when I do I finally feel, for lack of a better term, like myself. Lower social inhibition, higher motivation, general well-being, and a certain clear-headedness to see the “bigger picture”. This is more than the the average guy gaining liquid courage. It sort of feels like I can see what life should be like, and how most people go about interacting with their lives. I feel like I sort of settle into myself.

I would like to know what I can do to work in diet/supplementation to help bring me this sort of felling in my day-to-day life - and what mechanism this wellbeing is happening by.

Any thoughts, comments, and discussion would be appreciated. I imagine I’m not the only one who’s had this though here.

Peatful

What kind of alcohol?
Beer, wine, whiskey, mixed drinks with juices, etc?
Or doesn’t it matter; you feel this regardless of type...

Peater

They didn't call whisky the water of life for nothing. :DI think quality of alcohol and moderation are key.

OP
Orangeyouglad

Orangeyouglad

What kind of alcohol?
Beer, wine, whiskey, mixed drinks with juices, etc?
Or doesn’t it matter; you feel this regardless of type...

Mostly spirits @Peatful . I don't drink beer anymore, trying to avoid gluten and beer's estrogenic effects. I'm big on clear spirits with a bit of citrus - tequila, and mezcal in particular.

Have you tried vitamin K2?

Yup. It's a staple now. Using Idealabs right now. I'm curious though why you ask. Is K2 known to produce similar effects? And if so, what dosage do you think @Pet Peeve

They didn't call whisky the water of life for nothing. :DI think quality of alcohol and moderation are key.

100% agree. I was a bartender at cocktail bar for a long time and the quality thing really does matter. Anyway, I don't plan on giving it up anytime soon haha.

Pet Peeve

Yup. It's a staple now. Using Idealabs right now. I'm curious though why you ask. Is K2 known to produce similar effects? And if so, what dosage do you think @Pet Peeve

I went back recently to my nutrahacker report, nutrahacker is an autogenerated report based on dna raw data from a dna test that tells you what supplements fit you. It says I have a homozygous polymorphism on the PON1 gene and that it gives me high glutamine activity and that vitamin K would help balance. I took some vitamin K for the first time in a long while and got so relaxed that I fell asleep in half an hour. Felt a lot like the good effect from alcohol that you describe, with a lot less anxiety and worry.

OP
Orangeyouglad

Orangeyouglad

I went back recently to my nutrahacker report, nutrahacker is an autogenerated report based on dna raw data from a dna test that tells you what supplements fit you. It says I have a homozygous polymorphism on the PON1 gene and that it gives me high glutamine activity and that vitamin K would help balance. I took some vitamin K for the first time in a long while and got so relaxed that I fell asleep in half an hour. Felt a lot like the good effect from alcohol that you describe, with a lot less anxiety and worry.

This Nutrahacker thing seems very interesting. What's your dosage?

Runenight201

I’ve been a LONG time lurker here and I’m grateful that I’ve found this community.

I’ve implemented a lot and like many of you, I’ve come from other dieting backgrounds (Keto, paleo, etc.) and I’ve felt at home here for the last year or so, implementing RP principles.

The reason I’ve come out of the woods is to talk about something no one here seems to agree 100% on - alcohol.

The one thing I really want to understand, and can’t get a clear understanding is the mechanism in which alcohol makes me feel, well, fantastic. Even the following day.

From what I understand, it could be and increase in GABA, or possibly lowering endotoxins. I also understand that it can lower test and raise estrogen, so I’m torn on what’s going on.

I don’t drink too often, maybe twice a week, and only a couple drinks, but when I do I finally feel, for lack of a better term, like myself. Lower social inhibition, higher motivation, general well-being, and a certain clear-headedness to see the “bigger picture”. This is more than the the average guy gaining liquid courage. It sort of feels like I can see what life should be like, and how most people go about interacting with their lives. I feel like I sort of settle into myself.

I would like to know what I can do to work in diet/supplementation to help bring me this sort of felling in my day-to-day life - and what mechanism this wellbeing is happening by.

Any thoughts, comments, and discussion would be appreciated. I imagine I’m not the only one who’s had this though here.

I'm not sure why you haven't gotten a satisfactory answer on this thread. Especially in regards to the hormones, neurotransmitters, and more physiological markers in the body. After what occurred tonight, I pretty much have experienced the same effects with alcohol as you have @Orangeyouglad. Not only do I feel more settled and able to handle myself, I feel a complete warming in my body, powerfully up from my hands to my feet. It's almost as if I'm realizing now that anything that detracts blood flow from my hands to feet are automatically bad. I have a suspicion that anytime my hands and feet are cold, that in turn the most fringe parts of my brain are also cold, thus, when my hands and feet are cold, I can also reason then that my complete capability of self is subdued.

I am beginning to think everything in terms of blood flow. Tonight when I was ad libitum drinking from a far reaching choice of alcohols, fruits, and juices, that I became completely relaxed, and at completely ease as to how I was handling myself. I distinctively noticed that my hands were intensely warm, to the point where I saw my veins bulging out of my hands, and I felt an intense desire to touch and interact with everything.

I can only imagine that in such a state, with my hands so warm, that my brain was at its warmest as well, and that there was optimal blood flow around the various areas. There is no doubt to me that the alcohol was responsible for such an effect.

I am intensely curious as to how to replicate this effect without such debilitating means as consuming alcohol. The aforementioned increased flow in the body is a most necessary effect, but the familiar disruption of motor skills is terribly opposed. Whatever the hell warms every single extremity of the body into a flaming furnace is for sure an answer to this puzzling mystery!

ddjd

I honestly have never had a hangover from drinking white rum (usually bacardi) with coca cola. even in significant quantities.

but beer and wine = terrible next day

Kingpinguin

there are several health benefits of a little alcohol. Getting minorly tipsy twice per week is likely healthy for you in the long run. Its a problem when you get drunk enough to get some sort of hangover. 1-3 units doesnt get you hungover.

iLoveSugar

I'm chronically sick myself, but a little alcohol works better than absolutely anything else. It let's me escape misery for a bit.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals