Alcohol Suppresses The Thyroid, What About Topical Alcohol?

I've read a study about it and it is a well known fact that alcohol suppresses the thyroid but what about topical application of alcohol to disinfect yourself?

Thanks.

Vinero

It probably depends on the dose. One or two drinks won't have any anti-thyroid effects but more than 3 or 4 can increase intestinal permeability and endotoxin absorption, leading to supressed thyroid.
I don't know if topical alcohol will have this problem of increased permeability of the intestine, that's an interesting question.
As long as the dose is low (lower then 3 standard drinks or something) it won't have any harmful effects I think.

Aleeri

From my own experience, binge drinking = lowers my temp and heart rate a bit for 2-3 days after. I'm borderline hypo.

Lilac

I used to wonder if dabbing alcohol on the skin was bad. Then, somewhere, I read or heard Ray recommend (or at least not frown upon) using alcohol to disinfect skin. Maybe it was in the context of treating acne. I can't remember the context, but I do remember that a bit of rubbing alcohol on the skin was OK.

shepherdgirl

I think topical alcohol does get into the blood. I got a rash from topical application of supplements in ethanol (i believe the initial local skin sensitivity was actually caused by dmso). After letting the rash heal for the most part, I tried to take the supplements orally, but then I noticed that the rash started to come back. Of course it could have been an allergy to one of the supplements itself, but my guess is that it was the ethanol.

shepherdgirl

what i mean is, if it can get from the blood to the skin, is it not reasonable that it could get from the skin to the blood?