Alcohol Is Bad For Almost Everything, Including TEETH

Vinny

It has just crossed my mind.
I started drinking at 13, and had always had cavities. Still got all teeth, but most of them are drilled, which costed me a ton of hard earned cash.
Several years ago I drastically reduced my alcohol intake to almost zero. And I realise now, that I haven't had a single cavity since.
Alcohol depletes minerals, if I remember correctly. I assume that quitting booze preserved my minerals, which directly contributed to better oral health.
What do you think?

haidut

Forum Supporter
I started drinking at 13, and had always had cavities. Still got all teeth, but most of them are drilled, which costed me a ton of hard earned cash.
Several years ago I drastically reduced my alcohol intake to almost zero. And I realise now, that I haven't had a single cavity since.
Alcohol depletes minerals, if I remember correctly. I assume that quitting booze preserved my minerals, which directly contributed to better oral health.
What do you think?

Alcohol itself has good effects on the mouth/teeth as it reduces bacteria that causes cavities and periodontal disease. However, alcohol drastically increases intestinal permeability, which increases endotoxin and bacteria translocation from gut into tissues. So, the net effects of drinking booze are probably pro-cavity, but a mouthwash with vodka, whiskey or something even stronger may be positive.

Maljam

What what sensationalised title for an individual anecdote. :tearsofjoy:

He has 1 trick dentists don't want you to know. Listerine HATES him!

Nicole W.

What do you think?
I think that phenomenon may have more to do with wine drinking. White wine in particular seems to be pretty damaging to enamel. Just an observation but most of my friends who are ardent wine drinkers have terrible teeth.

What do you think?

Yeah, good thinking. Alcohol causes major metabolic reactions, an decrease of saliva quality and thus decreased remineralisation of teeth is very possible; also slight damages to the GI mucosa which hinders uptake of nutrients, despite correct amounts of intake.

LA

Several years ago I drastically reduced my alcohol intake to almost zero. [snip]
What do you think?
The last time I had a drink was after a funeral. I split it with my mother. "For me" alcohol is a waste of time - something done as a teenager. My dad was a liquor distiller and head of a government warehouse. His maternal line in Italy were vintners, besides selling locally they also sold medicinal brandy to monasteries unable to make their own.
My paternal line grandfather drank the entire 200 gallons (or whatever it was) allowed by the state of New York for homemade wine. My grandmother made it with the help of her older sons. My grandfather didnot trust the water in the USA. :):) He lived 73 yrs (also worked 3 jobs a day)
My maternal line grandfather had been a cowboy in his youth, drank a shot of Johnnie Walker Black Label (courtesy of my father) and drank it down straight once a week after eating a can of sardines, half an onion and while smoking a cigar. He lived 104 yrs
Booze has been used for medicinal purposes for centuries. The problem is over use. Just like most things in life - too much of a good thing is not always good

What do you think?
I have cocktails regularly for many years, and only had one minute cavity when I was 15 and another minute one in my late 30's. I don't think the alcohol per se causes cavities, but maybe what you mix it with. I would think the acidity of wine might be bad for teeth, and I know carbonation is thought to be bad for enamel. I am more inclined to agree, since I never had my own soday until "Peating" 4.5 years ago. It hasn't given me any new cavities, but I don't drink it every day either. I do notice my teeth become more sensitive when I have carbonation. Until "Peating" I was a bread and high dairy girl, it wasn't until I subscribed to the "Blood Type Diet" which had me cut out dairy, did I notice my teeth getting very transparent when they had always been very white. Had that diet not had me cut out wheat and corn too I am convinced I would have developed cavities. So my conviction is that high dairy intake has saved my teeth all of my 57 years ?

OP
Vinny

Vinny

I have cocktails regularly for many years, and only had one minute cavity when I was 15 and another minute one in my late 30's. I don't think the alcohol per se causes cavities, but maybe what you mix it with. I would think the acidity of wine might be bad for teeth, and I know carbonation is thought to be bad for enamel. I am more inclined to agree, since I never had my own soday until "Peating" 4.5 years ago. It hasn't given me any new cavities, but I don't drink it every day either. I do notice my teeth become more sensitive when I have carbonation. Until "Peating" I was a bread and high dairy girl, it wasn't until I subscribed to the "Blood Type Diet" which had me cut out dairy, did I notice my teeth getting very transparent when they had always been very white. Had that diet not had me cut out wheat and corn too I am convinced I would have developed cavities. So my conviction is that high dairy intake has saved my teeth all of my 57 years ?
Glad for you.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals