Alcohol Increases Ferritin

goodandevil

Ray said ubiquinone is better than ubiquinonol. The alcohol function is presumably what interacts with iron.

"CONCLUSIONS:

Alcohol intake at low level increases ferritin and, by inference, body iron stores. This may be either beneficial or harmful, depending on circumstances. The response of biological markers of alcohol intake can be affected by body iron stores; this has implications for test sensitivity and specificity and for variation in biological responses to alcohol use."
Effects of alcohol consumption on indices of iron stores and of iron stores on alcohol intake markers. - PubMed - NCBI

download (1).png

michael94

Silybin/silymarin are pretty potent at mitigating excess iron related damage. These are extracts from milk thistle which is quite popular as a liver supplement, although I think quality can vary widely.

silybin iron - PubMed - NCBI

It's probably just ruining the metabolism...

Lucas

High ferritin causes thyroid resistance? If so, what is the mechanism of this? Iron deposit on the gland? Reduce of conversion from T4 to T3?

J

jb116

Lots of interference of t4/t3 conversion.
Never did like alcohol in any amount

Elephanto

I think this is mainly from people drinking their wine while eating supper as it increases iron absorption. Like vitamin C would increase Ferritin if taken with iron-rich meals, but not if it was taken apart. I think you can find a quote from Ray on this, it increases endotoxin load and iron absorption when you take it with a meal.

Frankdee20

Geez, another reason to not give a **** about quitting booze. :)

anp

Iron is connected to a lot of issues, including everything that is related to oxidative stress. I could spend a lot of time connecting the dots. But I think anyone here who is new coming from (especially) a high meat diet should address their high iron first. Go donate blood.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals