Alcohol Depletes A Neurotransmitter?

Waynish

It seems that in some people alcohol very quickly is able to deplete a neurotransmitter - judging by mood & energy after a few nights in a row drinking (even small amounts of alcohol). I believe this is what is often meant by, "I can't drink like I used to."

Any ideas about the mechanism or why it would deplete the mood quicker than recovery in many people?

Frankdee20

It seems that in some people alcohol very quickly is able to deplete a neurotransmitter - judging by mood & energy after a few nights in a row drinking (even small amounts of alcohol). I believe this is what is often meant by, "I can't drink like I used to."

Any ideas about the mechanism or why it would deplete the mood quicker than recovery in many people?

Well, how much are we talking about ? There’s interaction with DA, GABA/Glutamate and NMDA. Those are the primary targets for alcohol, and of course 5ht3

lampofred

It depletes a lot of things... good metabolism means you can recover quickly. Poor metabolism means you're stuck with excessive serotonin the morning after. Thus the hangover.