Air Ionizer Log

Dan W

I have annoying myofascial pain that I suspect could be related to my high serotonin levels (thanks to Bruno at Peatarian.com for finding the intriguing correlation).

Air ionizers are mentioned by Peat for lowering serotonin, so I decided to try one out to see what happens. I set it up yesterday to use while sleeping (here's my notes and a pic), and I'll log my results in this thread. Could be interesting, since people have mentioned everything from sleep changes to psychological changes, both in positive and negative directions.

6/14/2013 log
Woke up early, but felt rested. Also felt a little "quiet"/"out-of-it", the type of feeling you get after having slept in for a couple extra hours. In a rare occurrence, I woke up with less pain than when I went to bed, something I hope continues.

Throughout the earlier part of the day, I felt sluggish (which I think someone else using an ionizer mentioned). However, I've had a stressful, slightly sleep-deprived week, which might explain that.

4peatssake

Wow, Dan, I've made some huge connections today about serotonin thanks to this post and from the discussion on jyb's introduction thread.
I just lined up a huge bunch of dots from reading and pondering these two threads and rereading RP's article on serotonin! :woo
It will be interesting to see how this works out for you!
Thanks for being the guinea pig! :D

kiran

Thanks for doing this.

Ray did mention that increasing your thyroid dose might not be such a bad idea along with reducing serotonin.

OP
Dan W

Dan W

I'm going to start assigning -10 to +10 ratings to the things I'm monitoring in this experiment, with 0 being my "average" before starting the ionizer.

6/15/2013 log
  • Sleep deepness: +1. I conked out slightly better than average. This is an interesting metric for me, because it's gone up with each "successful" health change: Peat-eating, supplemental thyroid, and "earthing" (which I'm still skeptical of, but it's easy enough to strap on a grounding cord at night).
  • Myofascial pain severity: +1. Had my typical "unable to return to sleep because of pain that grew through the night" problem, with it being slightly worse than average.
  • Depression: 0 (no depression prior to the experiment)
  • Sluggishness/lethargy: 0. This does have two confounding factors: 1) I took my "sleep powder" to get back to sleep, including GABA this time, which leaves me sluggish, and 2) I got a lot of exercise, possibly canceling out the sluggishness.

So, no significant changes (physically or psychologically) as best I can tell. Perhaps my mundane experience so far will be reassuring to people who are worried about side effects, as I was.

OP
Dan W

Dan W

6/16/2013 log
  • Sleep deepness: +2.
  • Myofascial pain severity: +3. Woken up early by pain, unable to return to sleep.
  • Depression: 0.
  • Sluggishness/lethargy: +5. Really tired/out-of-it, though that could be because of early awakening and general sleep-debt over the week.

I realized my ratings are confusing. I intend "+5" to mean an increase in sluggishness/lethargy, not an "improvement".

I cut open my ionizer to find out more about it (only to learn that there was an easier way to open it :lol:), so I have a few more details about it on the notes page for the inquisitive.

fyo

I just got mine, same model as you Dan.

I played with putting some triboelectrically charged objects near it, including my hands, and I can hear the crackling, which I take to mean it is indeed generating negative ions.

Can you confirm there are supposed to be little wire like things almost sticking out the right hole, but nothing sticking out the left hole?

OP
Dan W

Dan W

While thinking about how long to try my experiment, I found this interesting study, suggesting that serotonin's half life is 33 hours in platelets and the spleen, 10 hours in the stomach, and in 17 hours in the intestine (in rabbits, at least). I'd welcome anyone who has an opinion on how long it might take a drop in serotonin to affect muscles/fascia. Longer than the platelet half-life, I'd assume.

fyo said:
Can you confirm there are supposed to be little wire like things almost sticking out the right hole, but nothing sticking out the left hole?
Yes, as far as I can tell, the right hole has the emitting wires, and the left hole is just for symmetry (or maybe airflow, since it does have a small resistor behind it).

OP
Dan W

Dan W

6/17/2013
  • Sleep deepness: +3. Slept deeply through the entire night.
  • Myofascial pain severity: -3. No pain at all, but possibly due to thorough "trigger point release" yesterday.
  • Sluggishness/lethargy: 0.
This is a nice turnaround from the last couple days. My rough conclusion so far is that the ionizer hasn't done much (yet?).

Mittir

I do not know what causes myofacial pain. Recently i have noticed a huge improvement
in skin condition, specially disappearance of cracked heel by adjusting calcium to phosphorus ratio.
It took about 3 weeks and i have tried lots of other things to fix it.
I get about 1500-2000 mg of calcium and not more than 1000-1500 mg of phosphorus.
Though RP suggests optimal ratio to be 1 to 1 but he puts the upper limit of
P:C to 2:1. In a recent interview he mentioned that it is good to have more calcium than
phosphorus . This ratio controls lots of things inside out body. Do you know your
PTH? It was high for me even when i was getting 1000 mg of calcium.
Ratio is more important than absolute value of calcium or phosphorus.

Mittir

He mentioned eating more calcium than phosphorus
in KMUD: Serotonin, Endotoxin and Stress. He also mentioned that
Calcium lowers endotoxin by blocking phosphorylation.
and Phosphate helps break down of fiber by bacteria.

4peatssake

Mittir said:
I do not know what causes myofacial pain. Recently i have noticed a huge improvement
in skin condition, specially disappearance of cracked heel by adjusting calcium to phosphorus ratio.
It took about 3 weeks and i have tried lots of other things to fix it.
I get about 1500-2000 mg of calcium and not more than 1000-1500 mg of phosphorus.
Though RP suggests optimal ratio to be 1 to 1 but he puts the upper limit of
P:C to 2:1. In a recent interview he mentioned that it is good to have more calcium than
phosphorus . This ratio controls lots of things inside out body. Do you know your
PTH? It was high for me even when i was getting 1000 mg of calcium.
Ratio is more important than absolute value of calcium or phosphorus.
Mittir, this is great stuff.
Can you explain how you're keeping your phophorus ratio so low? I find with my diet, I have a heck of time with this ratio and my phosphorous rate is always much higher than I wish it to be.

Mittir

@4peatssake
For a while i did egg shell powder and mostly meat and cottage cheese diet.
My PTH was quite low with egg shell powder. I am allergic to egg and found there was some
allergic reaction with egg shell powder even after removing the membrane
Then i switched to cottage cheese.
I did not notice that cottage cheese has a Phosphorus and Calcium ratio of 2:1.
This made my PTH go up. Now i drink a quart of milk .
I add calcium hydroxide( it is used in making lime water
for pickling) to OJ to reduce acidity. In OJ it reacts with citric acid and makes
calcium citrate. I also make sure whenever i eat meal i get some calcium in
calcium citrate form or milk . I have cut down on meat and fish too.
RP likes calcium carbonate over calcium citrate. Because citric acid
increases calcium loss through kidney. I asked him if there is anything wrong with
consuming calcium citrate other than some calcium loss.
He possibly said "NO". But i asked multiple questions in that email.
I am bit confused if he meant NO for citrate or other part of the questions.
I think it should be fine, since OJ has already good amount of citric acid.
I check phosphorus content of all the food i eat, interestingly
chocolate, potato and mushroom are high in phosphorus.

OP
Dan W

Dan W

Thank you, Mittir! Interesting stuff as always.

I've been trying to manage my phosphorus to calcium ratio, including supplementing to get it pretty close to 1:1. Do you think a PTH test is still useful? They seem expensive, at least for the couple providers I looked at.

I should follow through on my "find-the-cheapest-provider-for-a-given-blood-test.com" site idea.

6/18/2013 log
I only used the ionizer for a couple hours: I unplugged it in the middle of the night for reasons that only Sleepwalker Dan understands. That guy's motivations can be baffling sometimes.

• Sleep deepness: 0.
  • Myofascial pain severity: -2. Almost no pain.
  • Sluggishness/lethargy: 0.

The ionizer is currently making a whining noise that I think is new. I may forgo it tonight in case it's damaged somehow.

Mittir

I have seen studies where simple calcium supplement lowered PTH quickly.
Other study used vitamin D level and calcium intake in lowering PTH.
If your vitamin D level is good. at least 18 ng/ml and you are taking around 1200 mg of calcium
with 1:1 calcium phosphorus level then you should have low PTH level. So PTH test might not be useful now.
But at some point you want to be sure if all major indicators are in right places.
It is a good study
http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.asp ... eid=201842

OP
Dan W

Dan W

Thanks Mittir. I should probably check my vitamin D status regardless.

6/19/2013 log
Pretty much identical results to last time, though I decided not to use the ionizer. I might not update the log much until I decide whether to get a new ionizer, fix this one, or just not worry about the whining noise.

Jenn

You need to take with a grain of salt the nutritional profile of any food. Growing conditions can significantly alter content of any nutrient. A potato grown in low P soils is less likely to have a high P content. Milk is more stable...but can still be messed with depending on the diet of the animal....and as you mentions, the form.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
You just HAD to tinker huh Dan? :poke :rolling

Maybe you can write the company and ask them their opinion of the new noise?

HDD

Maybe sleepwalker Dan was tinkering?! Sounds like you never know what he is up to. :eek: :lol:

4peatssake

Haagendazendiane said:
sleepwalker Dan
A2083jF7rF3p46rTxkqlmw_m.png