Air Fryer?

dfspcc20

Has anyone used an Air Fryer? Thoughts? Recommended brands?
AGEs still seem like they would be formed, though I have no idea how it would compare to traditional frying in lots of fat.

mt_dreams

i've tasted fries from a friends air fryer, they tasted pretty good considering the amount of fat used, but I could probably duplicate the experience with my mini oven. I would suggest looking into mini convection ovens as they do the same thing, but also allow for many other cooking options compared to the air fryers. they're also at much cheaper. convection cooking is much healthier compared to traditional frying, as the oil never reaches the temp it would in a traditional fryer.

Dave Clark

I have two air fryers, work great for almost everything. I like the Tod English multi-airfryer the best. Can be purchased at Evine.com .

Seems like whatever little oil is used would take quite a beating, but it's so much less than normal frying that it's probably better. But I think just the hot air and the food by themselves would be enough to make toxic products. One should try frying some potatoes with zero oil and see if they can taste Maillard flavor.

Also, I was browsing some models a while ago and they're all teflon inside, which made me uneasy. Surely teflon pans and pots never get to 200°C, unless you're being very reckless with them, but the inside of these fryers must get close to that to work properly. This is pyrolysis temperature for teflon.

Dave Clark

Seems like whatever little oil is used would take quite a beating, but it's so much less than normal frying that it's probably better. But I think just the hot air and the food by themselves would be enough to make toxic products. One should try frying some potatoes with zero oil and see if they can taste Maillard flavor.

Also, I was browsing some models a while ago and they're all teflon inside, which made me uneasy. Surely teflon pans and pots never get to 200°C, unless you're being very reckless with them, but the inside of these fryers must get close to that to work properly. This is pyrolysis temperature for teflon.
The Tod English multi airfryer oven, this is the square shaped type, is made with a ceramic base basket, etc. I can't speak for any of the others.

The Tod English multi airfryer oven, this is the square shaped type, is made with a ceramic base basket, etc. I can't speak for any of the others.
Are you sure it isn't coated?

Well I'm impressed by the quality of the fries that this thing makes. They have a McDonald's consistency after 30 minutes. I imagine you could go crispier with more time. The olive oil gives them a bitter taste, though.

Dave Clark

Well I'm impressed by the quality of the fries that this thing makes. They have a McDonald's consistency after 30 minutes. I imagine you could go crispier with more time. The olive oil gives them a bitter taste, though.
I was having some e-mail issues with the forum, but just wanted to reply. Sounds like you got yourself one. Regarding the coating, I only know what their literature said, that it was ceramic. On the oils, I use refined coconut oil, only a few drops, but most of the time I use no oils and I can get a good crispness. You have to experiment with the time, but know that whatever you are crisping can turn brown in short order.

OP
dfspcc20

dfspcc20

I ended up getting a Phillips Air Fryer. I paid a little more for that brand; it seems like there are a lot of no-name, fly-by-night-type brands selling these now, especially on Amazon.

I'm happy with it. The fries are good. They get cooked at 350 deg F. It can go up to 400 deg F for other things like pork chops, but I never plan to use it for that. I think all parts are teflon-coated, but they clean easily with just water and cloth, so hopefully they won't get scratched.

Wouldn't goose fat or ghee be the oil of choice for these?

Yes, coconut oil appears to work fine as well.

Having problem with burgers because as soon as the fat drips from the inside container onto the outer shell, it starts smoking like crazy. Unrefined coconut also does this. Will try refined, but the grease in the food is still an issue.

ddjd

I ended up getting a Phillips Air Fryer. I paid a little more for that brand; it seems like there are a lot of no-name, fly-by-night-type brands selling these now, especially on Amazon.

I'm happy with it. The fries are good. They get cooked at 350 deg F. It can go up to 400 deg F for other things like pork chops, but I never plan to use it for that. I think all parts are teflon-coated, but they clean easily with just water and cloth, so hopefully they won't get scratched.

Yes, coconut oil appears to work fine as well.
still using it?

D

danishispsychic

Heated chemicals air fried directly into your food. An Air Fryer is a hard pass for me.

D

danishispsychic

Plastic, Teflon coating. Cook in stainless steel and glass only .

OP
dfspcc20

dfspcc20

still using it?

Occasionally for potatoes. Honestly, not really convenient since you can't cook that much at one time. Takes maybe 15 minutes to make a serving of french fries; if you're feeding multiple people, it's faster to just use a regular oven (which requires more fat/oil, obviously).

sunny

It's been a while on the air fryer discussion.

Are there better ones out there now that anyone has found?

Brands to avoid?

Someone mentioned convection oven- better choice than air fryer?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals