Agmatine

dookie

Peat mentions agmatine as a way to lower nitric oxide. He has mentioned in several emails to me. I'm surprised I didn't find so much about it on the forum.

Has anyone tried agmatine? It seems to be a "bodybuilding supplement", and ironically, some agmatine products claim that it actually raises nitric oxide (NO) when you read their marketing messages.

Drareg

Can you post the email exchange, this sounds interesting considering it's a metabolite of arginine, he views arginine as negative.
The brah scienctists claims its the best supplement in decades,will make arginine obsolete.

Giraffe

agmatine = aminoguanidine

HD:
Do you think that using Aminoguanidine as a competitive inhibitor of nitric oxide would be a reasonable approach to the kind of systemic inflammation that you find in, say, rheumatoid arthritis patients?
RP: I think it probably is. But I think there are safer things, that have been studied more. Aminoguanidine has been known chemically for over a hundred years I think, but it just hasn't been researched as a medical treatment enough that I would feel very confident of that. The safest inhibitors happen to be niacinamide, which has two or three different routes for inhibiting it, aspirin, which has at least two or three (at least) direct and indirect ways of inhibiting it, progesterone, which is partly acting by blocking estrogen's increase of nitric oxide.

Current Trends in Nitric Oxide - KMUD, 2015-10-16

Koveras

agmatine = aminoguanidine

pimagedine = aminoguanidine

agmatine = 4-(aminobutyl)guanidine

Edit: I suppose aminoguanidines are a class of substances. Pimagedine is commonly known as aminoguanidine, although agmatine has been known of for longer (1910) and is likely what Peat was referring to.

Last edited:

Koveras

Koveras

Peat mentions agmatine as a way to lower nitric oxide. He has mentioned in several emails to me. I'm surprised I didn't find so much about it on the forum.

Has anyone tried agmatine? It seems to be a "bodybuilding supplement", and ironically, some agmatine products claim that it actually raises nitric oxide (NO) when you read their marketing messages.

Agmatine appears to inhibit nNOS but promote iNOS and eNOS

Last edited:
OP
D

dookie

He mentions agmatine in one of the nitric oxide interviews.

Search for the studies on brain injury and agmatine. It seems to lower all isoforms of NO.

OP
D

dookie

I could not find any good evidence that it raises any form of nitric oxide. There are many studies on agmatine and NO, and I'd say the vast majority show a decrease in all forms of NO. There are a few done on cell cultures which show a slight increase in one of the NO types, but I'm not sure how valuable those studies are. Please post if you found something to the contrary.

Vascular regulation by the L-arginine metabolites, nitric oxide and agmatine. - PubMed - NCBI
Agmatine holds the key to prevent the toxic effects associated with induction of NO synthesis by its ability to inhibit inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS)

www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S030095720700250X
Agmatine inhibits all isoforms of nitric oxide synthase and blocks N-methyl-d-aspartate receptors.

Metabolism of agmatine into urea but not into nitric oxide in rat brain. - PubMed - NCBI
...while agmatine can inhibit brain nitric oxide synthase, it did not serve as a substrate for nitric oxide formation.

Agmatine suppresses nitric oxide production and attenuates hypoxic-ischemic brain injury in neonatal rats. - PubMed - NCBI
Agmatine thus reduces brain injury in the neonatal rat hypoxic-ischemic model, probably by blunting the rise in nitric oxide metabolites normally seen after hypoxia.

Koveras

I could not find any good evidence that it raises any form of nitric oxide. There are many studies on agmatine and NO, and I'd say the vast majority show a decrease in all forms of NO. There are a few done on cell cultures which show a slight increase in one of the NO types, but I'm not sure how valuable those studies are. Please post if you found something to the contrary.

Believe I read something incorrectly from the examine review

truegrit

Is it possible that we're wrong about agmatine, guys?

Most of the research on it seems to be conflicted on two key Peat points: does it lower NO in all tissues, or merely some, while potentially enhancing others? iNOS and nNOS seem to be inhibited by it, but eNOS seems to unaffected or even improved.

And then when it comes to serotonin, agmatine (again) seems to be a mixed bag, but one thing seems to be pretty well elucidated: Agmatine positively affects the "anti-depressant" mechanism of action of serotonergic drugs. Granted, no one on this forum would be taking those, but that doesn't invalidate my concerns.

Would also love to hear @haidut's opinion on this. Perhaps he can parse the research a bit better as it seems murky to me.

ddjd

And then when it comes to serotonin, agmatine (again) seems to be a mixed bag, but one thing seems to be pretty well elucidated: Agmatine positively affects the "anti-depressant" mechanism of action of serotonergic drugs.
are you suggesting that its perhaps antagonising serotonin if its going against ssri mechanism. great news if so

truegrit

are you suggesting that its perhaps antagonising serotonin if its going against ssri mechanism. great news if so

No. It appears to enhance anti-depressant outcomes of SSRI drugs, and it loses that ability when most of the serotonin receptor subtypes are inactivated.

You can deplete serotonin levels and agmatine retains its anti-depressant ability (good), but its anti-depressant effects seem somehow dependent on the serotonin receptors themselves (bad).

This is my understanding, at least.

ddjd

Vascular regulation by the L-arginine metabolites, nitric oxide and agmatine. - PubMed - NCBI

www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S030095720700250X

Metabolism of agmatine into urea but not into nitric oxide in rat brain. - PubMed - NCBI

Agmatine suppresses nitric oxide production and attenuates hypoxic-ischemic brain injury in neonatal rats. - PubMed - NCBI

I asked Zachariah about this and he said

Agmatine decreases overall nitric oxide production but may positively affect eNOS which is fine. You care more about the reduction of iNOS and nNOS and overall excess NO

ddjd

"the different forms of NO synthase have been classified as 3 different isoforms that have gained acceptance with the masses:

1. Neuronal NOS (nNOS or NOS1) which produces NO in neuronal tissue in both the central and peripheral nervous system. Neuronal NOS also performs a role in cell communication and is associated with plasma membranes.

2. Inducible NOS (iNOS or NOS2) which can be found in the immune system but is also found in the cardiovascular system. It uses the oxidative stress of NO (a free radical) to be used by macrophages in immune defence against pathogens.

3. Endothelial NOS (eNOS or NOS3 or Constitutive / cNOS) generates NO in blood vessels and is involved with regulating vascular function. A constitutive Ca2+ dependent NOS provides a basal release of NO. eNos is associated with plasma membranes surrounding cells and the membranes of Golgi bodies within cells."

bdawg

I asked Zachariah about this and he said

Agmatine decreases overall nitric oxide production but may positively affect eNOS which is fine. You care more about the reduction of iNOS and nNOS and overall excess NO

eNos is the good Nos for the peniz

Anyway I had a good run with Agmatine - decided to quit it due to digestion issues

SOMO

eNos is the good Nos for the peniz

Anyway I had a good run with Agmatine - decided to quit it due to digestion issues

eNOS doesn't cause tissue damage or oxidative stress?