Aging Tied To Loss Of Oxidative Capacity; Stress Has Same Effect

haidut

Forum Supporter
In yet another confirmation of Ray's metabolic theory of everything (TOE), this study found that aging is associate with a shift from oxidative to reductive state in the cell. More importantly, the study found that stress has the same effects as the aging process - i.e. stress is a form of accelerated aging.

http://phys.org/news/2015-07-bottom-ageing.html

"...The question of why we age is one of the most fascinating questions for humankind, but nothing close to a satisfactory answer has been found to date. Scientists at the Leibniz-Institut für Molekulare Pharmakologie in Berlin have now taken one step closer to providing an answer. They have conducted a study in which, for the first time, they have shown that a certain area of the cell, the so-called endoplasmic reticulum, loses its oxidative power in advanced age. If this elixir of life is lost, many proteins can no longer mature properly. At the same time, oxidative damage accumulates in another area of the cell, the cytosol. This interplay was previously unknown and now opens up a new understanding of ageing, but also of neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's or Parkinson's."

"...The researchers also demonstrated the decline of the oxidative milieu of the ER after stress. When they synthesised amyloid protein fibrils in the cell, which cause diseases such as Alzheimer's, Parkinson's or Huntington's disease, they set the same cascade in motion. Apart from this, they were able to show that amyloids that are synthesised in a certain tissue also have negative effects on the redox equilibrium in another tissue within the same organism. "Protein stress leads to the same effects as ageing," explains Kirstein. "Our findings are thus not only interesting with regards to ageing, but also concerning neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's."

"...Nevertheless, research of ageing has taken a major step forward as a result of the findings from Berlin, particularly since it promises a practical benefit. The redox equilibrium may serve as a basis for new biomarkers for diagnosing both ageing and neurodegenerative processes in the future. Janine Kirstein: "The approach is less likely to be useful for therapeutic purposes at present, but the development of diagnostic tools is certainly conceivable."

The last quote above hints that measuring the redox state of the organism may be a good biomarker of stress/aging. One of the most reliable such measures is the NAD/NADH ratio, a test which many doctors in the US can order through a major lab. So, on your next doctor's visit you may want to ask your doctor about running such a test. It is probably more useful than many of the other crappy biomarkers such as cholesterol and plasma steroids.
Two of the most powerful ways to raise the NAD/NADH ratio are niacinamide and methylene blue (MB). Niacinamide is a direct precursor to NAD and MB recycles NADH back to NAD. Niacinamide also protects the cells from the damage that MB can cause if there is not enough glucose available. Combined, niacinamide and MB are synergistic so this could be a good supplement for long term use, together with aspirin and caffeine.

Suikerbuik

This is absolutely amazing and very exciting, Haidut!

Dan W

Agreed, really interesting stuff. The flourescent imaging pictures are particularly cool, with the age progression feeling a little eerie.

And thanks for all your posts as usual, Haidut. I can't figure out whether you read 6,000 studies every day, or just have some sort of interesting-study-sonar.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Dan Wich said:
Agreed, really interesting stuff. The flourescent imaging pictures are particularly cool, with the age progression feeling a little eerie.

And thanks for all your posts as usual, Haidut. I can't figure out whether you read 6,000 studies every day, or just have some sort of interesting-study-sonar.

Haha, thanks! I do read many studies daily but I think the credit goes to Ray once again. Like I said in one of my first post on the forum, his theory is so consistent that many things follow just by connecting the dots. Then if you keep that in mind and scroll through a few hundred studies you immediately see the additional dots implied by the theory. The Reddit science forum is one good place to start (http://www.reddit.com/r/science). If go there and look at the posts that have the FEWEST votes/comments these tend to be the most interesting and often right up Peat's alley. Which makes me wonder if there is concerted effort to suppress these ideas or people are simply not interested in explanations that do not involve a few thousand genes.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Suikerbuik said:
This is absolutely amazing and very exciting, Haidut!

Thanks! Going forward I will keep my MB and niacinamide handy:):

Suikerbuik

Short after you posted this, this study kept me thinking. As this kind of chemistry is way above my capabilities. I mean it’s difficult to grasp the complete interior composition of a cell, and it is very easy to overlook something or make false assumptions.

But now this is coming up again, I might as well just post it. It’s just ideas and very very early stage and might even be wrong. I can’t resist bringing this up first (than there is at least some 'truth' in my post :D):

“Every stress leaves an indelible scar, and the organism pays for its survival after a stressful situation by becoming a little older.” – Hans Selye.

Basically the study says: in young cells ER is an oxidative environment with an electron deficiency (or excess oxidized molecules) and the cytosol a reductive environment with simply an electron excess (negative charge), as cells get stressed or make those amyloid proteins, the endoplasmic reticulum loses its oxidative power, meaning there is an increase in electrons or reduced molecules and in the cytoplasm vice versa (e.g. decrease in electrons or increase in oxidized molecules).

Considering the membrane channels or pumps (flux of ions) aren’t behind the negative membrane potential, it has to find its origin somewhere else, and Pollack suggested it to originate from the ‘negatively’ charged water, or another paper says negative charge is from hydroxyl groups and not really H3O2.

Protein folding is one and a very important one why dysfunction occurs. But I am still wondering how the structure of the water is affected and what might happen first or in parallel, especially related to memory and brain function. Pollack hypothesizes that memories are possibly somehow stored in the configuration of water, whether this true or not.. I don’t know, but if memories are stored in synapses it’s is still water that could be important, as I hardly believe that synapses transmit signals by the random collision of neurotransmitters into their ‘receptors’ ...

This article: (Can the Hexagonal Ice-like Model Render the Spectroscopic Fingerprints of Structured Water? Feedback from Quantum-Chemical Computations – http://www.mdpi.com/1099-4300/16/7/4101)
The research work presented emphasizes the quantization of matter at the molecular level, yielding the resonance conditions for the interaction with the electromagnetic radiation. Both aspects are complementary to describe the event actually taking place. Therefore, the results provided fully support the scenario envisioned in the realm of biology by Albert Szent-Györgyi. In the conclusion section of the book entitled “Bioenergetics” [59], published in 1957, he stated: “Lucretian biochemistry involves the assumption that no interaction can take place between molecules without their touching one another. Support is given in this book to the idea that manifold interactions can take place without such bodily contact, either through energy bands or through the electromagnetic field, which thus appears with water and its structures as the matrix of biological reactions.” Quantum Chemistry shows indeed that water may form structures that absorb and transmit energy precisely in the same energy range as that arising from aromatic amino acids and DNA/RNA nucleobases.

continuing…
a particular moiety or structure of water seems to be important in transmitting neurotransmitter signals, as naurotransmitters are often build from aromatic amino acids (tryptophan, tyrosine). The fact that every molecule has it’s vibration, spatial charge difference and that movement of charges inevitable leads to the propagation of electromagnetic waves, and that the electromagnetic energy of those aromatic compounds might be well transmitted in 'EZ' water.. Who knows how water is involved in transmission of 'information' and therefor synaptic function.

There is evidence that even young people have amyloid proteins, or that amyloid is not 100% casual factor in Alzheimer’s i.e. people with high level don’t show signs of memory loss. So there is more to the story than just amyloid alone. Are those people still able to keep their intracellular water more ordered (do they have better bioenergetics)?
An interesting observation is that amylin or amyloid are both considered anti-microbial, peptides mainly cationic and bactericidal. Not sure if there bactericidal effect originates from the disruption of water structure, which on itself would be interesting (if so, how?), or else.
Perhaps more practical could be IR light; something that is found to build EZ water. Are there any studies on on Alzheimers patients treated with IR devices, Haidut?

If these findings (study Haidut posted) and the study in this post are true, at least the one I cite is prone to errors in methodology and very hard to prove in reality (in cells), that would support Ling’s findings in all aspects if you ask me!

Also, considering ‘Milieu intérieur’ that can basically be defined as pH and negatively electrical charge, this might offer insight why cells happen to be more susceptible to infection or bacterial insult, etc.

This work might also back up Hillman’s findings, of why certain molecules bind to different intracellular ‘structures’, not?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Suikerbuik said:
Short after you posted this, this study kept me thinking. As this kind of chemistry is way above my capabilities. I mean it’s difficult to grasp the complete interior composition of a cell, and it is very easy to overlook something or make false assumptions.

But now this is coming up again, I might as well just post it. It’s just ideas and very very early stage and might even be wrong. I can’t resist bringing this up first (than there is at least some 'truth' in my post :D):

“Every stress leaves an indelible scar, and the organism pays for its survival after a stressful situation by becoming a little older.” – Hans Selye.

Basically the study says: in young cells ER is an oxidative environment with an electron deficiency (or excess oxidized molecules) and the cytosol a reductive environment with simply an electron excess (negative charge), as cells get stressed or make those amyloid proteins, the endoplasmic reticulum loses its oxidative power, meaning there is an increase in electrons or reduced molecules and in the cytoplasm vice versa (e.g. decrease in electrons or increase in oxidized molecules).

Considering the membrane channels or pumps (flux of ions) aren’t behind the negative membrane potential, it has to find its origin somewhere else, and Pollack suggested it to originate from the ‘negatively’ charged water, or another paper says negative charge is from hydroxyl groups and not really H3O2.

Protein folding is one and a very important one why dysfunction occurs. But I am still wondering how the structure of the water is affected and what might happen first or in parallel, especially related to memory and brain function. Pollack hypothesizes that memories are possibly somehow stored in the configuration of water, whether this true or not.. I don’t know, but if memories are stored in synapses it’s is still water that could be important, as I hardly believe that synapses transmit signals by the random collision of neurotransmitters into their ‘receptors’ ...

This article: (Can the Hexagonal Ice-like Model Render the Spectroscopic Fingerprints of Structured Water? Feedback from Quantum-Chemical Computations – http://www.mdpi.com/1099-4300/16/7/4101)
The research work presented emphasizes the quantization of matter at the molecular level, yielding the resonance conditions for the interaction with the electromagnetic radiation. Both aspects are complementary to describe the event actually taking place. Therefore, the results provided fully support the scenario envisioned in the realm of biology by Albert Szent-Györgyi. In the conclusion section of the book entitled “Bioenergetics” [59], published in 1957, he stated: “Lucretian biochemistry involves the assumption that no interaction can take place between molecules without their touching one another. Support is given in this book to the idea that manifold interactions can take place without such bodily contact, either through energy bands or through the electromagnetic field, which thus appears with water and its structures as the matrix of biological reactions.” Quantum Chemistry shows indeed that water may form structures that absorb and transmit energy precisely in the same energy range as that arising from aromatic amino acids and DNA/RNA nucleobases.

continuing…
a particular moiety or structure of water seems to be important in transmitting neurotransmitter signals, as naurotransmitters are often build from aromatic amino acids (tryptophan, tyrosine). The fact that every molecule has it’s vibration, spatial charge difference and that movement of charges inevitable leads to the propagation of electromagnetic waves, and that the electromagnetic energy of those aromatic compounds might be well transmitted in 'EZ' water.. Who knows how water is involved in transmission of 'information' and therefor synaptic function.

There is evidence that even young people have amyloid proteins, or that amyloid is not 100% casual factor in Alzheimer’s i.e. people with high level don’t show signs of memory loss. So there is more to the story than just amyloid alone. Are those people still able to keep their intracellular water more ordered (do they have better bioenergetics)?
An interesting observation is that amylin or amyloid are both considered anti-microbial, peptides mainly cationic and bactericidal. Not sure if there bactericidal effect originates from the disruption of water structure, which on itself would be interesting (if so, how?), or else.
Perhaps more practical could be IR light; something that is found to build EZ water. Are there any studies on on Alzheimers patients treated with IR devices, Haidut?

If these findings (study Haidut posted) and the study in this post are true, at least the one I cite is prone to errors in methodology and very hard to prove in reality (in cells), that would support Ling’s findings in all aspects if you ask me!

Also, considering ‘Milieu intérieur’ that can basically be defined as pH and negatively electrical charge, this might offer insight why cells happen to be more susceptible to infection or bacterial insult, etc.

This work might also back up Hillman’s findings, of why certain molecules bind to different intracellular ‘structures’, not?

Beta amyloid has also been found beneficial for conditions like MS. I also find the theory behind beta amyloid being the main cause of AD to be overly simplistic.
http://www.nature.com/nrn/journal/v13/n ... n3336.html

As far as red light and AD - yes there have been studies. Here are some of them:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21084721
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 154126.htm
"...Although blue-green light recipients comprised the active experimental group, Etcher said she was surprised when some recipients of red light -- the placebo group -- also were reported as showing improvements, with caregivers saying their patients were calmer and had reduced resistance to care."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23603448
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22029866

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals