Aging In Cells Is Driven By Mitochondria

haidut

Forum Supporter
The process of aging is complex and according to mainstream science comes down to genes. Over the last few decades some scientists have discovered that genes probably do not play a major role but rather that aging comes down to processes in the mitochondria. However, until now, there had been no onclusive study to elucidate the process. This study fills that void (hopefully). It also shows that reversing aging may be as simple as restoring mitochondrial biogenesis. Low doses of methylene blue (~1mg daily) have already been shown to be especially effective in that process.

http://emboj.embopress.org/content/early/2016/02/02/embj.201592862
http://medicalxpress.com/news/2016-02-mitochondria-triggers-cell-aging.html

"...In a study, published today in the EMBO Journal and led by Dr João Passos at Newcastle University, they found that when mitochondria were eliminated from ageing cells they became much more similar to younger cells. This experiment was able for the first time to conclusively prove that mitochondria are major triggers of cell ageing."

"..."These new findings highlight that mitochondria are actually essential to the ageing of cells." The team led by Newcastle University and involving other universities in the UK and the US, also deciphered a new mechanism by which mitochondria contribute to ageing. They identified that as cells grow old, mitochondrial biogenesis, the complex process by which mitochondria replicate themselves, is a major driver of cellular ageing."

m_arch

Haidut I noticed you recommend 1 drop of your MB supplement oxidal which is equivalent to only 400mcg. Why not two to get it closer to the 1gmg?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Haidut I noticed you recommend 1 drop of your MB supplement oxidal which is equivalent to only 400mcg. Why not two to get it closer to the 1gmg?

I usually say 1-2 drops. Don't remember saying to stay at 1 drop no matter what. The goal is to achieve 100nM cell concentration, which for most people happens at 1mg daily or less. Methylene blue has long half life in tissues and builds up over time. Also, tissue concentrations are 30-50 times higher than plasma and it is tissue levels that matter.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
BCAA also increase mitochondrial biogenisis don't they?
Can a Power Booster Also Be a Longevity Booster?

There are so many things that do. Taurine, glycine, BCAA, theanine, aspirin, niacinamide, pyridoxal, vitamin K, emodin, beta-lapachone, progesterone, pregnenolone, low dose DHEA, saturated fat (palmitic acid is really good at that), oleamide, fructose, etc. Basically, all the things that Peat recommends or has written about favorably have this effect.

forterpride

What supplement brand do you recommend for the MB Blue Haidut? Also...how do we go about monitoring our levels..or can we just take 1mg a day indefinitely without worrying about it. Thanks Haidut!

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
What supplement brand do you recommend for the MB Blue Haidut? Also...how do we go about monitoring our levels..or can we just take 1mg a day indefinitely without worrying about it. Thanks Haidut!

No brand in particular as long as it is USP-grade. No need to monitor much through blood test even though I'd expect it to raise CO2 levels when taken chronically. In doses of 1mg daily it is probably the safest supplement to take long term, as safe as glycine probably. Even aspirin has a requirement to take vitamin K every once in a while or even daily depending on the dose.

forterpride

No brand in particular as long as it is USP-grade. No need to monitor much through blood test even though I'd expect it to raise CO2 levels when taken chronically. In doses of 1mg daily it is probably the safest supplement to take long term, as safe as glycine probably. Even aspirin has a requirement to take vitamin K every once in a while or even daily depending on the dose.

Thanks Haidut. Do you recommend orally or topically? And if topically...do we need to go 4mg instead of 1? thanks.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Thanks Haidut. Do you recommend orally or topically? And if topically...do we need to go 4mg instead of 1? thanks.

The in vivo animal studies all used oral admiistration, and the human studies also used oral. Taking 1mg for say 5 days should achieve AND sustain the 100nM concentration in cells.

Texon

"...In a study, published today in the EMBO Journal and led by Dr João Passos at Newcastle University, they found that when mitochondria were eliminated from ageing cells they became much more similar to younger cells. This experiment was able for the first time to conclusively prove that mitochondria are major triggers of cell ageing."

"..."These new findings highlight that mitochondria are actually essential to the ageing of cells." The team led by Newcastle University and involving other universities in the UK and the US, also deciphered a new mechanism by which mitochondria contribute to ageing. They identified that as cells grow old, mitochondrial biogenesis, the complex process by which mitochondria replicate themselves, is a major driver of cellular ageing."[/QUOTE]
The process of aging is complex and according to mainstream science comes down to genes. Over the last few decades some scientists have discovered that genes probably do not play a major role but rather that aging comes down to processes in the mitochondria. However, until now, there had been no onclusive study to elucidate the process. This study fills that void (hopefully). It also shows that reversing aging may be as simple as restoring mitochondrial biogenesis. Low doses of methylene blue (~1mg daily) have already been shown to be especially effective in that process.

"..."These new findings highlight that mitochondria are actually essential to the ageing of cells." The team led by Newcastle University and involving other universities in the UK and the US, also deciphered a new mechanism by which mitochondria contribute to ageing. They identified that as cells grow old, mitochondrial biogenesis, the complex process by which mitochondria replicate themselves, is a major driver of cellular ageing."

Haidut this article about MB reversing damage to cells caused by progeria is freaking amazing. The photos are equally incredible. Apologies if this already appears somewhere in the forum...

Safe, Inexpensive Chemical Found to Reverse Symptoms of Progeria in Human Cells

J

jb116

Thanks haidut.
I'm thrown by one thing though. This is confusing, as this sentence:
"shows that reversing aging may be as simple as restoring mitochondrial biogenesis."
sounds different from this:
"They identified that as cells grow old, mitochondrial biogenesis, the complex process by which mitochondria replicate themselves, is a major driver of cellular ageing."

Know what I mean? Unless I missed something or I'm reading it weird.
The quote from them sounds like they are implying mitochondrial biogenesis drives aging, rather than preserving or restoring mitochondrial biogenesis is a key to reverse aging.

Could you clarify this a bit?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Thanks haidut.
I'm thrown by one thing though. This is confusing, as this sentence:
"shows that reversing aging may be as simple as restoring mitochondrial biogenesis."
sounds different from this:
"They identified that as cells grow old, mitochondrial biogenesis, the complex process by which mitochondria replicate themselves, is a major driver of cellular ageing."

Know what I mean? Unless I missed something or I'm reading it weird.
The quote from them sounds like they are implying mitochondrial biogenesis drives aging, rather than preserving or restoring mitochondrial biogenesis is a key to reverse aging.

Could you clarify this a bit?

The popular press article is misleading. Old cells have a decline in both number and density of mitochondria. So, anything that can reverse this process (by stimulating mitochondrial biogenesis) is likely to help.

J

jb116

The popular press article is misleading. Old cells have a decline in both number and density of mitochondria. So, anything that can reverse this process (by stimulating mitochondrial biogenesis) is likely to help.
Ok thanks. It's about the cell losing the ability for mitochondria biogenesis over time, so in a sense rejuvenating this process reverts to a youthful state where mitophagy happens often.
That's really not clear writing on their part.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Ok thanks. It's about the cell losing the ability for mitochondria biogenesis over time, so in a sense rejuvenating this process reverts to a youthful state where mitophagy happens often.
That's really not clear writing on their part.

The main endogenous factor in mitochondrial biogenesis is CO2, so it immediately becomes clear why low metabolism = aging, as low metabolism = low CO2 and high lactate.

Mauritio

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/08/180807095140.htm

"Our compounds provide mitochondria in cells with an alternative fuel to help them function properly," said Professor Matt Whiteman, also from the University of Exeter.

"Many disease states can essentially be viewed as accelerated ageing, and keeping mitochondria healthy helps either prevent or, in many cases using animal models, reverse this.

LeeLemonoil

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/08/180807095140.htm

"Our compounds provide mitochondria in cells with an alternative fuel to help them function properly," said Professor Matt Whiteman, also from the University of Exeter.

"Many disease states can essentially be viewed as accelerated ageing, and keeping mitochondria healthy helps either prevent or, in many cases using animal models, reverse this.

Any way or idea if one could attain the names of those coded research substances`?

Mauritio

LeeLemonoil

Yeah, I got that. I wondered if anyone knows if and where to find the actual substances behind the codes. They probably won’t publish that until patent application though.