Attachments

• fg_stwm16_452.jpg
    fg_stwm16_452.jpg
    604.7 KB · Views: 73
  • 20191203_191447.jpg
    20191203_191447.jpg
    355.6 KB · Views: 69

Missenger

I'd never recommend running or jogging to anyone, all it does is destroy the body, too much lactic acid production.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Besides fasting, or chronic protein deficiency, the common causes of hypothyroidism are excessive stress or “aerobic” (i.e. anaerobic) exercise, and diets containing beans, lentils, nuts, unsaturated fats (including carotene), and undercooked broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, and mustard greens. Many health conscious people become hypothyroid with a synergistic program of undercooked vegetables, legumes instead of animal proteins, oils instead of butter, carotene instead of vitamin A, and breathless exercise instead of stimulating life.” Ray Peat

I find the "aerobic" and "breathless exercise" the standout in Ray Peat's bold statement. I remember when my son was young and how he once wondered about the gym and what the point was of it. We laughed with me saying how puzzled aliens must be observing us and trying to figure out what's going on in them. I played out the imaginary dialogue with one reporting back saying, "I don't know he picked something up and put it back down. Oh wait he's picking it up again, nope he put it back down! The girl? She is still running from something! Nope I still can't see what it is!". My son and I thought that was so hilarious, but it is such American craziness, paying a bunch of money and spending, what could be, value time to accomplish nothing. Are there even gyms in other parts of the world, or have they jumped on that other McDonald's bandwagon too, making themselves sticker and sicker? I signed up for the madness for a brief time, not knowing any better, with impressive abs to show for it, but stopped for lack of time, yet i now have the same muscle tone, ditching the ill advice to "work out" and "eat right", and eat as Ray Peat suggests instead, with ample protein and lots of sugar from a variety of sources, and happily moving around doing enjoyable things. Back then I had no idea how right I was, and at the end of our silly alien scenerio I gave my son some, unbeknownst to me, some "Peaty" advice by saying, "Just mow your own lawn and you'll be fine".
This guy has impressive strength, flexibility and stamina, but it is further proof that all that stress on his body is creating cortisol.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMbb9aFFHwc

OccamzRazer

This guy has impressive strength, flexibility and stamina, but it is further proof that all that stress on his body is creating cortisol.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMbb9aFFHwc

Goodness never thought I'd see the Grizzly mentioned on this forum lol. Nice!

In all seriousness you're onto something. Most of today's top strongmen look old and are rapidly balding - if not bald already.

But this wasn't always the case. Something has changed in the way people respond to heavy lifting. In my opinion PUFAs and genetic degeneration are to blame.

The strongest guys in the 40s and 50s looked pretty dang healthy - and they were at least as strong, pound for pound.

See the perfect hairline and lack of bloating.

Attachments

• reg-press-on-set.jpg
    reg-press-on-set.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 53

Quelsatron

In all seriousness you're onto something. Most of today's top strongmen look old and are rapidly balding - if not bald already.

But this wasn't always the case. Something has changed in the way people respond to heavy lifting. In my opinion PUFAs and genetic degeneration are to blame.

The strongest guys in the 40s and 50s looked pretty dang healthy - and they were at least as strong, pound for pound.

Grizzly is also morbidly obese lol. But I think the change in strongmen mainly comes from PEDs, everyone famous is on them or they wouldn't be strong enough to compete. PUFA or such might play a part, but clearly drugs are the main culprit given their incredibly powerful effects.

OP
Rinse & rePeat

I agree they looked trim and kept their hair, but were they lifting the amounts back then that they are lifting now?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Grizzly is also morbidly obese lol. But I think the change in strongmen mainly comes from PEDs, everyone famous is on them or they wouldn't be strong enough to compete. PUFA or such might play a part, but clearly drugs are the main culprit given their incredibly powerful effects.
We have a friend that has held the national California weight lifting title for his age group for many years and he had that big belly and is not on any drugs, beer yes, drugs no. He is a gym addict.

Doc Sandoz

I agree they looked trim and kept their hair, but were they lifting the amounts back then that they are lifting now?
Speaking of hair, is there something about the cerebral energy field of iconoclastic polymath geniuses that leads to a certain style?

Attachments

• reich.jpeg
    reich.jpeg
    6.7 KB · Views: 56
  • Ray Peat alumniNET.jpeg
    Ray Peat alumniNET.jpeg
    3.9 KB · Views: 56
OP
Rinse & rePeat
Speaking of hair, is there something about the cerebral energy field of iconoclastic polymath geniuses that leads to a certain style?
How do we square that up with geniuses who's hair doesn't stand up?

Doc Sandoz

How do we square that with geniuses who's hair doesn't stand up?

Oh them. Tney try to conceal it by combing the hair down flat. Other photos of Ray and Reich show they both tried, but apparently gave up.;)

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Oh them. Tney try to conceal it by combing the hair down flat. Other photos of Ray and Reich show they both tried, but apparently gave up.;)

There is no way these people's hair will stand up by itself.

Attachments

• 20210516_153647.jpg
    20210516_153647.jpg
    566.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210516_153658.jpg
    20210516_153658.jpg
    764.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210516_153711.jpg
    20210516_153711.jpg
    477.5 KB · Views: 12

OccamzRazer

Good question. IMO they were nearly as strong then...and stronger pound-for-pound.

Today's tip lifters are stronger than ever before at today's top lifts. The lifters back then were stronger at their day's most popular lifts.

See Arthur Saxon's incredible '2 hands anyhow' lift or Marvin Eder's 434 pound weighted dip, which beats today's 'official' world record by far:
ederdiply9.jpg

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Good question. IMO they were nearly as strong then...and stronger pound-for-pound.

Today's tip lifters are stronger than ever before at today's top lifts. The lifters back then were stronger at their day's most popular lifts.

See Arthur Saxon's incredible '2 hands anyhow' lift or Marvin Eder's 434 pound weighted dip, which beats today's 'official' world record by far:View attachment 23565
I just looked up weight lifters from 1960 and 2020 and they aren't too different, but the body builders definetly are. Holy cow!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210516-190844_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210516-190844_Samsung Internet.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 41

OccamzRazer

Oh yeah drugs are definitely a huge part of it.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Freaky!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210516-192345_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210516-192345_Samsung Internet.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 24
OP
Rinse & rePeat
There are tons of them looking like that on Google!
Interestingly i just read there was a lot of steroid use in the 1960's. There are also lots of articles about body builders having a shorter life span for various reasons.