Aging Fast & Alien Confusion

OccamzRazer

I am sure those body builders of the olden days weathered better because they used better sources of protein, gulping down a dozen beautifully fed chicken eggs and other high quality proteins, feeding their skin, making their skin more forgiving and flexible. I don't see lifting falling into the "breathless exercise" catergory. There is certainly stress involved lifting weights and lactic acid galore, but they use their protein to build not to burn. The difference between a runner and a bodybuilder is no competition.
All good points! They also did lots of stretching and breathing exercises. More recently it's been shown that stretching generates ATP, while lifting eats it up.

Focusing just on exercise at the expense of restorative stretching/movement probably also induces accelerated aging via calcification, poor circulation, etc...

SamYo123

All good points! They also did lots of stretching and breathing exercises. More recently it's been shown that stretching generates ATP, while lifting eats it up.

Focusing just on exercise at the expense of restorative stretching/movement probably also induces accelerated aging via calcification, poor circulation, etc...
Stretching makes you hyperflaccid and being hyperflaccid ages you, since your gait cycle becomes non efficient, relationship to gravity matters

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Haaaaaah! Too funny eh? Unless a rig is modified for mud bogging or beachbugging as a specific activity it does defy decades of careful engineering doesnt it? There appear to be different versions. I know a guy that bought a huge gas guzzler truck full bed length and extended crew cab. It was dark green. He lived in a town apartment, drove3.5 miles to work, wasnt hauling any crew, didnt even have a dog. I asked if he wanted to go to the beach with me one day, no we would be taking my old 86 Dodge 4x4 beater truck, that big green penis you drive wouldnt make it past the dunes...
He sold it

helpful knowledgable post with the punchline>>>>>>>>
"given that we're talking about real food"
Just mentioning this because 16yrs teaching health classes, 90% of adults think they know but dont. How can this be changed?
Don't think I am not still pondering your question akgrrrl, "how can this be changed", you just stumped me.

akgrrrl

Don't think I am not still pondering your question akgrrrl, "how can this be changed", you just stumped me.
Acknowledged, with gratitude. They whispered "FoodNazi!", buzzkiller and took pleasure in watching new hires in their 20s with cheesepuffs and Lil' Debbies in hand, cringe in their seats when my 6' tall 38-29-36 with cruellaDeville hair settled directly in front of them to begin lecture. Seasoned Railroaders refused to go on a work detail with young guys slugging Redbulls at 5a.m. Men who failed to bring a real lunch ate out of the gas station were teased mercilessly because their mommy wouldnt pack their lunch. The correlation of errors, accidents, arguments, timewasting, sick days, could all be linked to food choices and availability. They taught me that my knowledge in this arena was a primary reason my yearly bid as an independent contractor was renewed for 16yrs in a male dominated field.
I don't know the answer of how to change this.
But I do know, that ditching paper tests and making test questions one-on-one, in front of others, made for retention.
"How do you select the best orange?"

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Acknowledged, with gratitude. They whispered "FoodNazi!", buzzkiller and took pleasure in watching new hires in their 20s with cheesepuffs and Lil' Debbies in hand, cringe in their seats when my 6' tall 38-29-36 with cruellaDeville hair settled directly in front of them to begin lecture. Seasoned Railroaders refused to go on a work detail with young guys slugging Redbulls at 5a.m. Men who failed to bring a real lunch ate out of the gas station were teased mercilessly because their mommy wouldnt pack their lunch. The correlation of errors, accidents, arguments, timewasting, sick days, could all be linked to food choices and availability. They taught me that my knowledge in this arena was a primary reason my yearly bid as an independent contractor was renewed for 16yrs in a male dominated field.
I don't know the answer of how to change this.
But I do know, that ditching paper tests and making test questions one-on-one, in front of others, made for retention.
"How do you select the best orange?"
Oh my gosh we are so alike in our thinking! Back in the day, I was ridiculed for my generous use of butter and love of eggs, being constantly warned of the perils awaiting me if I didn't get my hands on a carton of Egg Beaters quick! Fortunately for me I cared too much about the taste of those eggs and butter and it was worth holding firm my "live to eat" stance". I just couldn't get my head around how anybody thought made made was better than nature intended. I figured there must be some truth in what they were saying about the vegetables, and every New Year's when we would all write down our resolutions, mine every year was laughable from failing to "try to eat more vegetables and salads". God knows I tried eating more broccoli with only that evil butter to help get it down. It is all nonsense with a lot of "follow the leader", with sheep following sheep, right off a cliff! I posted our (your's and mine) frustrations on this very subject this morning entitled: The Original 7 Wonders Of The World: The Food Pyramid

You'll be tickled pink! I love the vision of your height and hair :D

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Besides fasting, or chronic protein deficiency, the common causes of hypothyroidism are excessive stress or “aerobic” (i.e. anaerobic) exercise, and diets containing beans, lentils, nuts, unsaturated fats (including carotene), and undercooked broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, and mustard greens. Many health conscious people become hypothyroid with a synergistic program of undercooked vegetables, legumes instead of animal proteins, oils instead of butter, carotene instead of vitamin A, and breathless exercise instead of stimulating life.” Ray Peat

I find the "aerobic" and "breathless exercise" the standout in Ray Peat's bold statement. I remember when my son was young and how he once wondered about the gym and what the point was of it. We laughed with me saying how puzzled aliens must be observing us and trying to figure out what's going on in them. I played out the imaginary dialogue with one reporting back saying, "I don't know he picked something up and put it back down. Oh wait he's picking it up again, nope he put it back down! The girl? She is still running from something! Nope I still can't see what it is!". My son and I thought that was so hilarious, but it is such American craziness, paying a bunch of money and spending, what could be, value time to accomplish nothing. Are there even gyms in other parts of the world, or have they jumped on that other McDonald's bandwagon too, making themselves sticker and sicker? I signed up for the madness for a brief time, not knowing any better, with impressive abs to show for it, but stopped for lack of time, yet i now have the same muscle tone, ditching the ill advice to "work out" and "eat right", and eat as Ray Peat suggests instead, with ample protein and lots of sugar from a variety of sources, and happily moving around doing enjoyable things. Back then I had no idea how right I was, and at the end of our silly alien scenerio I gave my son some, unbeknownst to me, some "Peaty" advice by saying, "Just mow your own lawn and you'll be fine".
Here is a training article that even says exercise is unhealthy! It is nice to see today's science finally catching up to Ray Peat :)

Doc Sandoz

Here is a training article that even says exercise is unhealthy! It is nice to see today's science finally catching up to Ray Peat :)

Well sort of.... don't exercise too much because "your heart has only so many beats" sound very unpeat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Well sort of.... don't exercise too much because "your heart has only so many beats" sound very unpeat
Yeah I wasn't agreeing with everything, but thought it was interesting that there is information out there now, agreeing with "Peat" that all this vigorous exercise is not healthy!

akgrrrl

Your heart muscle only gets so many beats, as the joggers in 1980s discovered along with knees and feet
Your ears only get so many low decibel as railroaders proved a hundred years ago
Your head only gets so many hits before it gets stupid as boxers and footballers found out
Wait til all these kids listening to 4tracks of rap thumpin their ears are deaf at age 40
Moderation to avoid deterioration

Quelsatron

Working out is great, there is no sensation greater for a young man than reveling in the glory of your physique. Anti-fitness advice to these guys is pure poison.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Your heart muscle only gets so many beats, as the joggers in 1980s discovered along with knees and feet
Your ears only get so many low decibel as railroaders proved a hundred years ago
Your head only gets so many hits before it gets stupid as boxers and footballers found out
Wait til all these kids listening to 4tracks of rap thumpin their ears are deaf at age 40
Gosh I had never read up on the subject to have an opinion. That is interested and well said akgrrrl.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Working out is great, there is no sensation greater for a young man than reveling in the glory of your physique. Anti-fitness advice to these guys is pure poison.
You're right about that, it is invigorating and a test of endurance, and very aging too.

Ben.

The first and third one is not necessarily true in my opinion, atleast not the way i seem to understand it from your post.

The issue is not the heart pumping more but people overstressing themself and not having enough regeneration/healthy lifestyle habits along with not stopping but "pushing trough" because of this "hustle culture". If it was true, every couch potatoe would live 20-30 years longer than people doing any form of sport or physical activity (altough theres ofcourse more to heart/cardiovascular health than just the "beats")

Lets take professional athletes out of the picture, thoose are unhealthy by the very basis that is competitive sport.

Knees and feet are messed up not due to running itself, but due to
a. lack of adequate nutrition/metabolism and overall health to regenerate the strained tissue
b. lack of accessory excercises/workouts for strengthening, stabilitation and mobilitation
c. poor posture and running habits
d. shitty shoes compensating and messing up the bodys uptake of sensory imput from the feet on each and every step
e. people run on asphalt or other extreme and unnatural hard surfaces resulting in unnatural forces of impact to the joints
f. constant stop and go as seen in football/soccer is a repeated, unhealthy running pattern inducing unecessary damage/stress on the knees by the games design

Hits to the head/face has not a "set limit". Depending on the overall health/metabolism to regenerate damage, to the stabilizing and protecting structurs that absorb the force, theres many factors that determine wether a hit to the head is problematic or not. It also depends on the angle and the amount of force.

Obviously repeated hits to the head will not only increase the chance of one of thoose hits being problematic to occure, but even small damage happening repeadately can accumulate.
But either way, there can be a person who experienced multiple hits and is "fine" while another one being untrained and hit in an unfortunate way/angle might suffer for the rest of his/her life.

These things are far more nuanced in my opnion, and the heart beating faster/more often or joints being used more often is an argument which is easily disproven by many people out there.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
The first and third one is not necessarily true in my opinion, atleast not the way i seem to understand it from your post.

The issue is not the heart pumping more but people overstressing themself and not having enough regeneration/healthy lifestyle habits along with not stopping but "pushing trough" because of this "hustle culture". If it was true, every couch potatoe would live 20-30 years longer than people doing any form of sport or physical activity (altough theres ofcourse more to heart/cardiovascular health than just the "beats")

Lets take professional athletes out of the picture, thoose are unhealthy by the very basis that is competitive sport.

Knees and feet are messed up not due to running itself, but due to
a. lack of adequate nutrition/metabolism and overall health to regenerate the strained tissue
b. lack of accessory excercises/workouts for strengthening, stabilitation and mobilitation
c. poor posture and running habits
d. shitty shoes compensating and messing up the bodys uptake of sensory imput from the feet on each and every step
e. people run on asphalt or other extreme and unnatural hard surfaces resulting in unnatural forces of impact to the joints
f. constant stop and go as seen in football/soccer is a repeated, unhealthy running pattern inducing unecessary damage/stress on the knees by the games design

Hits to the head/face has not a "set limit". Depending on the overall health/metabolism to regenerate damage, to the stabilizing and protecting structurs that absorb the force, theres many factors that determine wether a hit to the head is problematic or not. It also depends on the angle and the amount of force.

Obviously repeated hits to the head will not only increase the chance of one of thoose hits being problematic to occure, but even small damage happening repeadately can accumulate.
But either way, there can be a person who experienced multiple hits and is "fine" while another one being untrained and hit in an unfortunate way/angle might suffer for the rest of his/her life.

These things are far more nuanced in my opnion, and the heart beating faster/more often or joints being used more often is an argument which is easily disproven by many people out there.
Sorry to be so primitive in my two cents, but all the jarring that our innards and brain goes through can't be healthy either with all the running and jumping, especially on asphalt. Gosh I remember getting the worst side stitches in P.E. class sometimes when we had to jog, so dibilitating. I would have to walk and take the bad grade. How can that be a healthy?

Ben.

Sorry to be so primitive in my two cents, but all the jarring that our innards and brain goes through can't be healthy either with all the running and jumping, especially on asphalt. Gosh I remember getting the worst side stitches in P.E. class sometimes when we had to jog, so dibilitating. I would have to walk and take the bad grade. How can that be a healthy?

Mhh i thought i got my point across that not running itself is the problem but things like the asphalt and the other stuff i listed?

Try seeing it from natures perspective, we are animals. We are made to run, jump, climb, roll etc. just not in the sense of how our modern world, let alone our school system is telling us. Our organs have to be (and they are) able to withstand jumps and pressure etc. or else the slightest fall or slightest physical action (including sex) would hurt us or make us "unhealthy".

akgrrrl

I appreciate your physical discomfort, not all humans are built for running. I had 2 friends in Jr. High that had been on horses since they were 5 yrs old which was common in their tribe. No way they could run like some of us kids. Similar to here when you see the bow legs and squat bodies of peoples in the Artic villages, no way they could ever aspire to run like Kenyan Usain Bolt. The data available is prolific on the ACCUMULATED trauma to the brain from jolts, hits, and jarring activities, which often fails to manifest until years past the injuries.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Mhh i thought i got my point across that not running itself is the problem but things like the asphalt and the other stuff i listed?

Try seeing it from natures perspective, we are animals. We are made to run, jump, climb, roll etc. just not in the sense of how our modern world, let alone our school system is telling us. Our organs have to be (and they are) able to withstand jumps and pressure etc. or else the slightest fall or slightest physical action (including sex) would hurt us or make us "unhealthy".
Oh sorry for the misunderstanding Ben. I agree your point, hence the asphalt statement, which was pertaining to my jarring statement. I lived up in Northern California, Nevada City, very mountainous. We had to run on dirt up and down hills and through the trees. So the asphalt was not my side stitch problem, it was just the running.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I appreciate your physical discomfort, not all humans are built for running. I had 2 friends in Jr. High that had been on horses since they were 5 yrs old which was common in their tribe. No way they could run like some of us kids. Similar to here when you see the bow legs and squat bodies of peoples in the Artic villages, no way they could ever aspire to run like Kenyan Usain Bolt. The data available is prolific on the ACCUMULATED trauma to the brain from jolts, hits, and jarring activities, which often fails to manifest until years past the injuries.
Well I was always a runner and competitively so up until high school where ovaries and puberty said this running is for kids!