Aging Fast & Alien Confusion

“Besides fasting, or chronic protein deficiency, the common causes of hypothyroidism are excessive stress or “aerobic” (i.e. anaerobic) exercise, and diets containing beans, lentils, nuts, unsaturated fats (including carotene), and undercooked broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, and mustard greens. Many health conscious people become hypothyroid with a synergistic program of undercooked vegetables, legumes instead of animal proteins, oils instead of butter, carotene instead of vitamin A, and breathless exercise instead of stimulating life.” Ray Peat

I find the "aerobic" and "breathless exercise" the standout in Ray Peat's bold statement. I remember when my son was young and how he once wondered about the gym and what the point was of it. We laughed with me saying how puzzled aliens must be observing us and trying to figure out what's going on in them. I played out the imaginary dialogue with one reporting back saying, "I don't know he picked something up and put it back down. Oh wait he's picking it up again, nope he put it back down! The girl? She is still running from something! Nope I still can't see what it is!". My son and I thought that was so hilarious, but it is such American craziness, paying a bunch of money and spending, what could be, value time to accomplish nothing. Are there even gyms in other parts of the world, or have they jumped on that other McDonald's bandwagon too, making themselves sticker and sicker? I signed up for the madness for a brief time, not knowing any better, with impressive abs to show for it, but stopped for lack of time, yet i now have the same muscle tone, ditching the ill advice to "work out" and "eat right", and eat as Ray Peat suggests instead, with ample protein and lots of sugar from a variety of sources, and happily moving around doing enjoyable things. Back then I had no idea how right I was, and at the end of our silly alien scenerio I gave my son some, unbeknownst to me, some "Peaty" advice by saying, "Just mow your own lawn and you'll be fine".

-Luke-

Are there even gyms in other parts of the world, or have they jumped on that other McDonald's bandwagon too, making themselves sticker and sicker?
Don't worry. Europeans jump on every bandwagon that leaves the United States. ;)

TheSir

Your ancestors spent the day doing physical labor. You sit on a chair working on excel sheets. Gym is just means of compensating for this newfound sedentariness, lest you need to become physically crippled and ridden with painful postural imbalances by the time you turn 50. Lack of strength and fitness is not something to rave about.

Ben.

Are there even gyms in other parts of the world

Ofcourse. Its not america per se but imo the music, movie and advertising industry with all the perfect toned people creating this beauty standard are to blame for this world wide workout influencer induced craze. I went to the gym because of it too when i was young. And looking good and heaving strong muscles is a cool thing and it would be straiht denial if it didn't impress the woman. The problem is the unrealistic goal of steroid induced rolemodels and the obssesion and wierd eating habits that dominate ones life that becomes an issue.

If one likes to workout i dont see to much issues with lifting weights.
But if you had to ask me, doing a sport you like, that you can do outside enjoying nature/tanking sun and puts you trough a wide variation of movements is something that i would recommend. That would include swimming, parkour, martial arts, bodyweight workouts in the park or something like hiking/climbing.

To be honest having an easy time to pull or push while enjoying agility and mobility are awsome feelings. You feel light, and jumpy and energetic.
If we look at how our fascia and lymph nodes work they are incredibly important for many processes in the body, which includes nutrient/water/electrical impulses and their transportation.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Your ancestors spent the day doing physical labor. You sit on a chair working on excel sheets. Gym is just means of compensating for this newfound sedentariness, lest you need to become physically crippled and ridden with painful postural imbalances by the time you turn 50.
The point Ray Peat was making Sir is move around doing something calming that you enjoy so you don't raise cortisol/estrogens level. I think more people, than not, go to the gym begrudgingly, and thankfully Ray Peat found the science to let is all out of that prison! I have often thought it ironic that someone pays someone else to mow their lawn, then turns around and pays someone else to let them exert themselves. If one finds pleasure to run on a treadmill, rather take a long walk, then to each his own, but when their face and body look well beyond their years remember Ray Peat told you so!

Last edited:
OP
Rinse & rePeat
Ofcourse. Its not america per se but imo the music, movie and advertising industry with all the perfect toned people creating this beauty standard are to blame for this world wide workout influencer induced craze. I went to the gym because of it too when i was young. And looking good and heaving strong muscles is a cool thing and it would be straiht denial if it didn't impress the woman. The problem is the unrealistic goal of steroid induced rolemodels and the obssesion and wierd eating habits that dominate ones life that becomes an issue.

If one likes to workout i dont see to much issues with lifting weights.
But if you had to ask me, doing a sport you like, that you can do outside enjoying nature/tanking sun and puts you trough a wide variation of movements is something that i would recommend. That would include swimming, parkour, martial arts, bodyweight workouts in the park or something like hiking/climbing.

To be honest having an easy time to pull or push while enjoying agility and mobility are awsome feelings. You feel light, and jumpy and energetic.
If we look at how our fascia and lymph nodes work they are incredibly important for many processes in the body, which includes nutrient/water/electrical impulses and their transportation.
How Ray Peat of you to say that Ben! That is so Ray Peat interesting! I read this interesting bit from him the other day that mirrors what you just said....

“While jogging became popular for preventing heart disease, we were frequently told by experts how many miles a person has to run to burn off a pound of fat. However, in Russia, physiologists always remember to include the brain in their calculations, and it turns out that a walk through interesting and pleasant surroundings consumes more energy than does harder but more boring exercise. An active brain consumes a tremendous amount of fuel.” Ray Peat

TheSir

The point Ray Peat was making Sir is move around doing something calming that you enjoy so you don't raise cortisol/estrogens level. I think more people, than not, go to the gym begrudgingly, and thankfully Ray Peat found the science to let is all out of that prison! I have often thought it ironic that someone pays someone else to mow their lawn, then turns around and pays someone else to let them exert themselves. If one finds pleasure to run on a treadmill, rather take a long walk, then to each his own, but when their face and body look well beyond their years remember Ray Peat told you so!
Indeed, exercising should be joyous. Your state of health will naturally encourage you towards the kind of intensity that is fitting for you. At higher levels of health you will crave running and working out because then it'll just be so much fun to use your body that way and at that point it won't be generating an unhealthy amount of stress either. This is how most children are with their youthful metabolisms.

rei

making themselves sticker and sicker?
This is the most relevant part, assuming you miss-spelt stiffer. The most stiff people are the gym bros, and while they are proud how much they can lift, the first result of this acquired imbalance is MPB, the second much later is heightened PSA. Prostate issues for real start much later, but many don't even get to that point because after diagnosed PSA they get destroyed by doctor treatment.

The basis of your health is fascial fluidity (which means intact posture), and continually repeating same movement in a bench with ever increasing weights is the best method to misadapt your body. It is not bad as one exercise among natural movement based ones, but i guarantee you that it is slow suicide to think only going to the gym lifting weights is going to keep you healthy.

BRMarshall

My father growing up used to talk about athletes that "their legs would go first"
We would walk around the block at night, about a mile with slight hills up and down, and jog/run a flat quarter mile
in his 90's does the exercise bike few times a week..

Anyways the "The Kneesovertoesguy" is amazing in work outs that are bringing the actual springs of the legs alive!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIngqODw8x4

Chophouse360

Ummm there are people that actually enjoy lifting. Mind blowing I know. Lifting has plenty of benefits.

OccamzRazer

I have often thought it ironic that someone pays someone else to mow their lawn, then turns around and pays someone else to let them exert themselves. If one finds pleasure to run on a treadmill, rather take a long walk, then to each his own, but when their face and body look well beyond their years remember Ray Peat told you so!
100% ! Never understood why anyone would subject themselves to treadmills or stationary bikes when there's lawns to mow, things to build, trails to hike, places to explore...

I went to planet fitness once last week with my brother, and there were tons of people on the treadmills gasping thru masks. Straight up dystopic - I wonder what the aliens would think lol

MrGilbert

I went to planet fitness once last week with my brother, and there were tons of people on the treadmills gasping thru masks. Straight up dystopic - I wonder what the aliens would think lol
Wow I throught the people with masks on in their cars was bad. We really are living in idiocracy.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Indeed, exercising should be joyous. Your state of health will naturally encourage you towards the kind of intensity that is fitting for you. At higher levels of health you will crave running and working out because then it'll just be so much fun to use your body that way and at that point it won't be generating an unhealthy amount of stress either. This is how most children are with their youthful metabolisms.
So you disagree with Ray Peat's statement?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
This is the most relevant part, assuming you miss-spelt stiffer. The most stiff people are the gym bros, and while they are proud how much they can lift, the first result of this acquired imbalance is MPB, the second much later is heightened PSA. Prostate issues for real start much later, but many don't even get to that point because after diagnosed PSA they get destroyed by doctor treatment.

The basis of your health is fascial fluidity (which means intact posture), and continually repeating same movement in a bench with ever increasing weights is the best method to misadapt your body. It is not bad as one exercise among natural movement based ones, but i guarantee you that it is slow suicide to think only going to the gym lifting weights is going to keep you healthy.
Exactly rei, and nice play on words! I think this saying is interchangeable for those who wish to ignore Ray Peat's warning saying, "Sin is immediate gratification with long term consequences", assuming you meant sin instead of gym :D

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Ummm there are people that actually enjoy lifting. Mind blowing I know. Lifting has plenty of benefits.
I can understand that, as the burn does feel good, like a little hot sauce, but too much not so much, creating that nasty lactic acid. I think slow movements with some weight, can be a lesser evil to treadmills and stairsteppers, as long as you enjoy it.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
My father growing up used to talk about athletes that "their legs would go first"
We would walk around the block at night, about a mile with slight hills up and down, and jog/run a flat quarter mile
in his 90's does the exercise bike few times a week..

Anyways the "The Kneesovertoesguy" is amazing in work outs that are bringing the actual springs of the legs alive!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIngqODw8x4

Brisk walking is my favorite, especially with a rewarding destination ahead. Pre-Covid and weather permitting, I walk with a girlfriend to town for dinner. It is a three mile round trip. The stimulating conversation, fresh night air and a plate of "Peaty" scallops makes me feel so alive, nowhere even close to any gym experience I have had.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
100% ! Never understood why anyone would subject themselves to treadmills or stationary bikes when there's lawns to mow, things to build, trails to hike, places to explore...

Oh my gosh I laughed out loud reading your comment OccamzRazer! Funny you don't see to many elderly people there, probably cause they finally wised up :D

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Wow I throught the people with masks on in their cars was bad. We really are living in idiocracy.
Oh I just brough that mask wearing in the car the other too! How odd people actually did that! Even taking a walk with a mask on was mandatory in my area last year with threat of fines looming over our heads if you didn't do it! I could not subscribe to that, like a germ is chasing me really?! I would rather not take that miserable walk.

Doc Sandoz

I have some friends who have been lifting since their 20s. Now in their 50s, all that muscle that looked so good to them back then is now sagging skin underlain with fat. And still they go to the gym and lift. I developed an abhorrence for gym in my fascist junior high school, so thankfully never went down that road. Just getting out and doing physical things, walking, working on a garden and all that stuff, has taken far less a toll on my body than the gym seems to have on theirs.