Aging Fast & Alien Confusion

Jonnie

You cracked me up with your "poor pruny Ed" comment. Oh gosh I got tears on that! Like you said, you more than ever don't need to be doing anymore "have to's" being in the gym after a long day at work. Did you read my my "Rethinking The Couch Potato's Position" post? It should make you feel better about your decision to find happier ways to stay healthy and fit :)

I wonder if the Greeks lived and "trained" like that.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I wonder if the Greeks lived and "trained" like that.

I think you are right about that! Besides the Greeks finding mental stimulation important, the sun was a important too, another thing that is ignored or deemed evil nowadays. Slather on some aluminum and nasty mineral oil to keep all that awful vitamin D away because you might get cancer.

Jonnie

I think you are right about that! Besides the Greeks finding mental stimulation important, the sun was a important too, another thing that is ignored or deemed evil nowadays. Slather on some aluminum and nasty mineral oil to keep all that awful vitamin D away because you might get cancer.
Ah yes... The Sun.
That is why I will move out of Holland asap to somewhere warm and unrestricted.
So essential. Can't wait.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Ah yes... The Sun.
That is why I will move out of Holland asap to somewhere warm and unrestricted.
So essential. Can't wait.

Ah Holland! My son is half Dutch from his father, born from the Jalving and Mouw families.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"I think periods of intense muscular exertion should be limited to 20 or 30 seconds, followed by rest periods. Otherwise, T3 falls and the stress signals rise. If mental activity has a sense of obligation, of being pushed, it can raise the same stress mediators (serotonin, TSH, prolactin, CRH, cortisol, etc.), but if the attitude is one of opening and exploring new possibilities, it activates restorative processes throughout the body." -Ray Peat

Jonnie

"I think periods of intense muscular exertion should be limited to 20 or 30 seconds, followed by rest periods. Otherwise, T3 falls and the stress signals rise. If mental activity has a sense of obligation, of being pushed, it can raise the same stress mediators (serotonin, TSH, prolactin, CRH, cortisol, etc.), but if the attitude is one of opening and exploring new possibilities, it activates restorative processes throughout the body." -Ray Peat

Amazing quote. Also extremely relevant to me rn.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Amazing quote. Also extremely relevant to me rn.

Reading that quote, and many others on the brain, it is no wonder Ray "Peating" can be so difficult to stick with. There is just so much more to what the body is about than what you feed it, like raising kids, playfulness and learning makes healthy people. With that in mind it is no wonder that all the other popular diets, like keto, paleo, vegetarian and such eventually go awry. Our bodies are a bigger system than just what we eat.

Jonnie

Reading that quote, and many others on the brain, it is no wonder Ray "Peating" can be so difficult to stick with. There is just so much more to what the body is about than what you feed it, like raising kids, playfulness and learning makes healthy people. With that in mind it is no wonder that all the other popular diets, like keto, paleo, vegetarian and such eventually go awry. Our bodies are a bigger system than just what we eat.
Well said.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Exercise increases blood clotting, and so can increase the risk of strokes and heart attacks. Some doctors have been reporting increase incidence of flat feet, varicose veins, and prolapsed uterus among runners. Walking is a better form of exercise.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Heat, hypoglycemia, running, and some types of shock are known to stimulate growth hormone secretion, sometimes to levels ten or twenty times higher than normal. (Two kinds of stress that usually don't increase GH are cold and stimulus-deprivation.) I consider the growth hormone to be, almost as much as prolactin, a stress-inducible hormone. That's why I reasoned that, if an endocrinologist as good as Sapolsky can misunderstand GH to that degree, the public is even more likely to misunderstand the nature of the material, and to believe that it somehow acts just on muscle, fat, and bones." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Intense exercise damages cells in ways that cumulatively impair metabolism. There is clear evidence that glycolysis, producing lactic acid from glucose, has toxic effects, suppressing respiration and killing cells. Within five minutes, exercise lowers the activity of enzymes that oxidize glucose. Diabetes, Alzheimer's disease, and general aging involve increased lactic acid production and accumulated metabolic (mitochondrial) damage." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"The production of lactic acid during intense muscle activity led some people to suggest that fatigue occurred when the muscle wasn't getting enough oxygen, but experiments show that fatigue sets in while adequate oxygen is being delivered to the muscle. Underwater divers sometimes get an excess of oxygen, and that often causes muscle fatigue and soreness. At high altitudes, where there is relatively little oxygen, strength and endurance can increase." -Ray Peat

OccamzRazer

"At high altitudes, where there is relatively little oxygen, strength and endurance can increase." -Ray Peat
As a former pro athlete who trained at altitude, this is one [rare] instance where I've gotta disagree with Dr. Peat.

Strength/endurance/power output don't increase at altitude. They increase when an athlete accustomed to training at altitude goes back to training at sea level.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
As a former pro athlete who trained at altitude, this is one [rare] instance where I've gotta disagree with Dr. Peat.

Strength/endurance/power output don't increase at altitude. They increase when an athlete accustomed to training at altitude goes back to training at sea level.

I don't think he was talking about racing in high altitudes, I think he was talking about the boost from high altitude training.....

"When training at a high altitude, the body triggers a hormonal response that enhances the way oxygen is delivered and utilised throughout the body. Creating more blood vessels for oxygen to flow through, altitude training may lead to improved heart functionality, enhanced muscle performance and greater overall health.Oct 10, 2018"

It seems more to this point below.....

"As your muscles use oxygen during intense exercise, they produce a byproduct called lactic acid. Lactic acid can accumulate and lead to muscle fatigue. As a result, you’ll need to stop working out.

According to a 2018 articleTrusted Source, altitude training could increase your tolerance to lactic acid. This means your body can handle higher levels of lactic acid before your muscles get tired."

OccamzRazer

I don't think he was talking about racing in high altitudes, I think he was talking about the boost from high altitude training.....

"When training at a high altitude, the body triggers a hormonal response that enhances the way oxygen is delivered and utilised throughout the body. Creating more blood vessels for oxygen to flow through, altitude training may lead to improved heart functionality, enhanced muscle performance and greater overall health.Oct 10, 2018"

It seems more to this point below.....

"As your muscles use oxygen during intense exercise, they produce a byproduct called lactic acid. Lactic acid can accumulate and lead to muscle fatigue. As a result, you’ll need to stop working out.

According to a 2018 articleTrusted Source, altitude training could increase your tolerance to lactic acid. This means your body can handle higher levels of lactic acid before your muscles get tired."
Fair enough. But an endurance athlete at altitude will still perform slightly worse than they will at sea level.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Fair enough. But an endurance athlete at altitude will still perform slightly worse than they will at sea level.

I can imagine that would be hard to train with thin air, but it is apparently rejuvenating and is the difference between an athlete running free and an athlete having to run with resistance. It does matter if the two race at high altitude or sea level the high altitude trained athlete would beat the race in either situation which makes that athlete have more "strength and endurance".

OP
Rinse & rePeat

Considering RP talks about exercise creating stress, cortisol and estrogen, a person that continually exercises would be on a steady decline. Sounds like recharging at high altitudes repairs and restores for "strength and endurance". That athlete will certainly have a longer and more fruitful career.

"If the intrauterine experience, with low oxygen and high carbon dioxide, serves to “reprogram” cells to remove the accumulated effects of age and stress, and so to maximize the developmental potential of the new organism, a life that’s lived with nearly those levels of oxygen and carbon dioxide might be able to avoid the progressive silencing of genes and loss of function that cause aging and degenerative diseases." -Ray Peat

OccamzRazer

I can imagine that would be hard to train with thin air, but it is apparently rejuvenating and is the difference between an athlete running free and an athlete having to run with resistance. It does matter if the two race at high altitude or sea level the high altitude trained athlete would beat the race in either situation which makes that athlete have more "strength and endurance".
Agreed! Maybe this is what Ray was trying to say...but his wording was a little imprecise IMO.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals