Aging Fast & Alien Confusion

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Yes of course. Haven’t you heard of jumping germs? Be afraid. Be very afraid ?

I have lately! It seem like they should have a little more weight to get that much distance and accuracy. Maybe prey are flying germs? Do germs have wings? Am I being blonde again for asking?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Cytochrome oxidase in the brain can also be increased by mental stimulation, learning, and moderate exercise, but excessive exercise or the wrong kind of exercise (“eccentric”) can lower it (Aguiar, et al., 2007, 2008), probably by increasing the stress hormones and free fatty acids. Sedentary living a high altitude has beneficial effects on mitochondria similar to moderate exercise at sea level (He, at al., 2012.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Even in rich cultures, protein deficiency, inappropriate exercise, and emotional tension will contribute to premature aging of the individual, and damage to the offspring.” -Ray Peat

Ideonaut

The point Ray Peat was making Sir is move around doing something calming that you enjoy so you don't raise cortisol/estrogens level. I think more people, than not, go to the gym begrudgingly, and thankfully Ray Peat found the science to let is all out of that prison! I have often thought it ironic that someone pays someone else to mow their lawn, then turns around and pays someone else to let them exert themselves. If one finds pleasure to run on a treadmill, rather take a long walk, then to each his own, but when their face and body look well beyond their years remember Ray Peat told you so!
Great, entertaining, and well put comments, Rinse! I always thought Neil Armstrong had it right when he said he'd rather be doing something useful than spending time at a gym.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Great, entertaining, and well put comments, Rinse! I always thought Neil Armstrong had it right when he said he'd rather be doing something useful than spending time at a gym.

Oh did he? That is great information addition to this thread! Glad you are enjoying my ridiculousness!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Some muscle-building resistance exercise might help to increase the anabolic ratio, reducing the belly fat." -Ray Peat

Apple

Running on a treadmill would be that "breathless exercise" Ray Peat is talking about in his statement and the reasons for hypothyroidism and accelerating aging. I don't think our "cravings" has been a great measure of our health and what we should be doing, with peanut butter, bacon, running and such. It is more of what got is in our mess in the first place. Looking at it now, with the eyes wide open knowledge of how things work, and it's cause and effect, we can enjoy those unhealthy things as much as we like. We just shouldn't be fooling ourselves anymore thinking we are doing ourselves any favors.
What does it even mean "breathless" exercise ?
Aren't you breathing more intensive while running?
When I'm reading a book my breathing is hardly noticeable , is it "breathless exercise" too?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
What does it even mean "breathless" exercise ?
Aren't you breathing more intensive while running?
When I'm reading a book my breathing is hardly noticeable , is it "breathless exercise" too?

Out of breath, such as running and other stressful exercises.

Apple

Out of breath, such as running and other stressful exercises.
However, regular exercise can increase the strength and function of your muscles, making them more efficient. Your muscles will require less oxygen to move and they will produce less carbon dioxide.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
However, regular exercise can increase the strength and function of your muscles, making them more efficient. Your muscles will require less oxygen to move and they will produce less carbon dioxide.

I didn't do the science like those with their degrees, but it certainly makes sense to me that running like a lion is chasing you would be stressful, and raise cortisol levels.

OccamzRazer

It all depends on your stress tolerance and what you can handle - what you can adapt to. This concept is called supercompensation.

Some people can be pro athletes and still be healthy. Others can't....

Ben.

It all depends on your stress tolerance and what you can handle - what you can adapt to. This concept is called supercompensation.

I think there is a treshhold, which pro athletes have to overcome to perfom at the required level, that is fundamentally unhealthy.
If you manage to get out of pro sports (note: the kind of sport matters aswell) it is not unreasonable to assume that it costed said person some life years. Again, that is not stress one just adapts to, but one that turtores his/her body for a couple of single moments of peak performance.

OP
Rinse & rePeat

No doubt a person can seemingly acclimate to exercise. It isn't all about muscles and strength though. Your organs, especially your adrenals are in on the action too. I run on high and love it, but there came a time I was having heart trouble, which was from my adrenals. I was in charge of a successful chess club for 3 years, with 32 paying members, tournaments and such ,nonstop of raising 3 kids and running them to all of their activities and entertaining everyone for every holiday, and I loved it, but apparently my body was stressed, when I didn't view it that way. It is not uncommon for well trained athletes to drop dead running. My point is the stress doesn't just stay in your muscles, there is also a brain reaction which affect every organ as well.

OccamzRazer

I think there is a treshhold, which pro athletes have to overcome to perfom at the required level, that is fundamentally unhealthy.
If you manage to get out of pro sports (note: the kind of sport matters aswell) it is not unreasonable to assume that it costed said person some life years. Again, that is not stress one just adapts to, but one that turtores his/her body for a couple of single moments of peak performance.
Fair enough!

Yeah the pro athlete example was probably a little extreme....tho it's clear that some people thrive with exercise while others feel best with none (or maybe just some walking or something).

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Like the dark circles, a chronically plugged nostril is suggestive of an allergy, and it usually varies according to the intensity of the intestinal irritation of undigested food. Keeping notes on what you eat, you might notice increased stuffiness during the night after particular foods were eaten, though with some foods the congestion can take a couple of days to develop. Prolonged endurance exercise will usually slow the pulse because of adaptive inhibition of the thyroid. I have seen some people with the dark circles, fatigue, and other symptoms that stopped as soon as they stopped their daily running." -Ray Peat

Jonnie

“Besides fasting, or chronic protein deficiency, the common causes of hypothyroidism are excessive stress or “aerobic” (i.e. anaerobic) exercise, and diets containing beans, lentils, nuts, unsaturated fats (including carotene), and undercooked broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, and mustard greens. Many health conscious people become hypothyroid with a synergistic program of undercooked vegetables, legumes instead of animal proteins, oils instead of butter, carotene instead of vitamin A, and breathless exercise instead of stimulating life.” Ray Peat

I find the "aerobic" and "breathless exercise" the standout in Ray Peat's bold statement. I remember when my son was young and how he once wondered about the gym and what the point was of it. We laughed with me saying how puzzled aliens must be observing us and trying to figure out what's going on in them. I played out the imaginary dialogue with one reporting back saying, "I don't know he picked something up and put it back down. Oh wait he's picking it up again, nope he put it back down! The girl? She is still running from something! Nope I still can't see what it is!". My son and I thought that was so hilarious, but it is such American craziness, paying a bunch of money and spending, what could be, value time to accomplish nothing. Are there even gyms in other parts of the world, or have they jumped on that other McDonald's bandwagon too, making themselves sticker and sicker? I signed up for the madness for a brief time, not knowing any better, with impressive abs to show for it, but stopped for lack of time, yet i now have the same muscle tone, ditching the ill advice to "work out" and "eat right", and eat as Ray Peat suggests instead, with ample protein and lots of sugar from a variety of sources, and happily moving around doing enjoyable things. Back then I had no idea how right I was, and at the end of our silly alien scenerio I gave my son some, unbeknownst to me, some "Peaty" advice by saying, "Just mow your own lawn and you'll be fine".
I’m actually convinced I’m not made to workout that much.
Maybe it’s different when you’re still in your teens or still have insanely good health
but for anyone that’s older and has had enough stress from “regular life” (compromised Lol?) we might need to take it a bit more easy.

I gained my first 10kg by going to the gym many times a week for years and years doing all the fad diets.
Then deadstop for a year, started Peating, lost only a few kg’s.

But now I gained 10kg on top of that in only 2 years by only lifting weights twice a week (Never going so far as to having to breath through my mouth).
The training sessions are super relaxing and whenever I have excess energy I’ll give it a little more effort but never (trying) to force things to absolute failure.

It feels way better training like this.. though I might not be as lean as I used to be.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I’m actually convinced I’m not made to workout that much.
Maybe it’s different when you’re still in your teens or still have insanely good health
but for anyone that’s older and has had enough stress from “regular life” (compromised Lol?) we might need to take it a bit more easy.

I gained my first 10kg by going to the gym many times a week for years and years doing all the fad diets.
Then deadstop for a year, started Peating, lost only a few kg’s.

But now I gained 10kg on top of that in only 2 years by only lifting weights twice a week (Never going so far as to having to breath through my mouth).
The training sessions are super relaxing and whenever I have excess energy I’ll give it a little more effort but never (trying) to force things to absolute failure.

It feels way better training like this.. though I might not be as lean as I used to be.

I feel the same way. I felt like a dog chasing his tail working out, with impressive results that never lasted long, and then even eventually backfiring. Are bodies are pretty wise to a routine and upping the antie requiring more to win the battle. My dad had a friend, Ed, that was into body building, judo, running, water skiing and such, even still at 80! Unfortunately it all backfired, with his sagging wrinkled skin hanging off his body, where muscles had been. It was not impressive nor attractive, and actually a bit pitiful, looking like a "has been". He could never inflate those areas backbup again like before. I am sure that if he knew what he was gonna look like in his later years he would not have have stressed his body so exaggerated so, cause he was a hound dog chasing women, thinking he was still "all that", but couldn't get a date no matter how he tried. He was so unusually shriveled, like a prune, that i felt sorry for him cause he tried so hard and far beyond to be healthy. The men were impressed that he could still outski everbody and that he was so active, but the women weren't impressed. Years ago I had an older mechanic who looked like he never worked out a day in his life and was extraordinarily thin, and you could tell by the wrinkles in his face that he smoke a lot of cigarettes. He was far more attractive at a comparable age than old pruny Ed. The irony of it all is not lost on me. I am glad I got off the rat wheel. I'd rather enjoy now a brisk 4 mile walk to town for dinner and back, just living life and enjoying the outdoors.

Jonnie

I feel the same way. I felt like a dog chasing his tail working out, with impressive results that never lasted long, and then even eventually backfiring. Are bodies are pretty wise to a routine and upping the antie requiring more to win the battle. My dad had a friend, Ed, that was into body building, judo, running, water skiing and such, even still at 80! Unfortunately it all backfired, with his sagging wrinkled skin hanging off his body, where muscles had been. It was not impressive nor attractive, and actually a bit pitiful, looking like a "has been". He could never inflate those areas backbup again like before. I am sure that if he knew what he was gonna look like in his later years he would not have have stressed his body so exaggerated so, cause he was a hound dog chasing women, thinking he was still "all that", but couldn't get a date no matter how he tried. He was so unusually shriveled, like a prune, that i felt sorry for him cause he tried so hard and far beyond to be healthy. The men were impressed that he could still outski everbody and that he was so active, but the women weren't impressed. Years ago I had an older mechanic who looked like he never worked out a day in his life and was extraordinarily thin, and you could tell by the wrinkles in his face that he smoke a lot of cigarettes. He was far more attractive at a comparable age than old pruny Ed. The irony of it all is not lost on me. I am glad I got off the rat wheel. I'd rather enjoy now a brisk 4 mile walk to town for dinner and back, just living life and enjoying the outdoors.
Poor pruny Ed :(

It’s pretty insane how this ’dog chasing tail’ mentality is upheld in most of western society (at least where I live).
At my normal 9-5 day job for 8 hours of work I get a 45 minute Break.… 45 minutes.

Like how is anyone supposed to stay healthy with such a regimen?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Poor pruny Ed :(

It’s pretty insane how this ’dog chasing tail’ mentality is upheld in most of western society (at least where I live).
At my normal 9-5 day job for 8 hours of work I get a 45 minute Break.… 45 minutes.

Like how is anyone supposed to stay healthy with such a regimen?

You cracked me up with your "poor pruny Ed" comment. Oh gosh I got tears on that! Like you said, you more than ever don't need to be doing anymore "have to's" being in the gym after a long day at work. Did you read my my "Rethinking The Couch Potato's Position" post? It should make you feel better about your decision to find happier ways to stay healthy and fit :)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals