Aging Fast & Alien Confusion

Philomath

Philomath

That was resistant training with bands?
Zass was also a big proponent of isometric exercises, where you resist against an immovable object. For training these he liked using handles connected by a thick chain. Here he explains the benefits of doing isometrics:

The great secret of developing strength is to do so in a way which will store up energy instead of dissipating it, and build up the stamina as well; and the only method I know which really does this is exercise against very strong resistance

Rinse & rePeat

Zass was also a big proponent of isometric exercises, where you resist against an immovable object. For training these he liked using handles connected by a thick chain. Here he explains the benefits of doing isometrics:
I remember my mom doing those, attaching a band to a door knob in the 70's, and let's not forget Suzanne Somers Thigh Master!

Philomath

Seems like they increased strength and mass just by pushing against a static objects. Isolating individual muscles was important too.

Rinse & rePeat

Seems like they increased strength and mass just by pushing against a static objects. Isolating individual muscles was important too.
It is definitely a great way to strengthen without stressing muscles. It seems "Peaty" to me.

Philomath

Interestingly isometrics is a popular body building method!

If your goal is to look like @Hans (and why the heck not, he’s Hercules incarnate!) iso may not be enough. But if it’s strength and muscle tone you’re after, this could be the way to go!

Rinse & rePeat

Yet another article of how the gym rats have got it all wrong!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210607-225635_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210607-225635_Samsung Internet.jpg
    331.2 KB · Views: 17

Ben.

Yet another article of how the gym rats have got it all wrong!

There is a paradox in it. It requires a certain mechanical stimulus to induce muscle growth and idk if that is accomplished in 5 minutes. Perhaps there are ways to do that in shorttime span, which means the shorter and effective the "workout" the better.

Theres also guys doing certain jobs that have calves and forearms like monsters but they are not working out in any gym and do not do work that results in their arms/legs burning, they simply farmers walk and lift all day in their job. I could see it as a such a low intensity and enough time between each "lift" (if we can even call it that) that there isn't realy to much lactic acids building up. But even if there was, in terms of muscle growth repeated movement even in low intensity is working. I mean, have you seen swimmers? They have realy well developed chests and lats for exampe.

Alex Fergus is a guy i found around a 1,5 years ago and hes a guy who switched to that sort of training for health reasons and claims better gains/performance while being alot healthier. He does his lifting workouts in like 20-30 minutes.

Rinse & rePeat

There is a paradox in it. It requires a certain mechanical stimulus to induce muscle growth and idk if that is accomplished in 5 minutes. Perhaps there are ways to do that in shorttime span, which means the shorter and effective the "workout" the better.

Theres also guys doing certain jobs that have calves and forearms like monsters but they are not working out in any gym and do not do work that results in their arms/legs burning, they simply farmers walk and lift all day in their job. I could see it as a such a low intensity and enough time between each "lift" (if we can even call it that) that there isn't realy to much lactic acids building up. But even if there was, in terms of muscle growth repeated movement even in low intensity is working. I mean, have you seen swimmers? They have realy well developed chests and lats for exampe.

Alex Fergus is a guy i found around a 1,5 years ago and hes a guy who switched to that sort of training for health reasons and claims better gains/performance while being alot healthier. He does his lifting workouts in like 20-30 minutes.
I agree with you Ben and I think Ray Peat would to. Moving around using your muscles are very good for them, for circulation and even mentally. Stressing muscle as you say in everyday life does make for impressive muscles, but sadly those same construction worker guys aren't "Peaters" and aren't supporting that days work full of lactic acid and cortisol, like those occasional "healthy" athletes who have a heart attack on their daily run. Ray Peat is right in saying you don't have to do too much to have big muscles, but you do have to eat A LOT of protein and sugar to maintain them. What changed everything for me on muscles and exercise, unfortunately wasn't Ray Peat, it was an episode of the tv show Naked & Afraid XL with Matt Wright. I believe it was season 4 episode 7 "Savage Journey". He came into that challenge a normal gym looking guy with a layer of fat over muscles, but weeks later, when he finally found the other camp of survivors, it was stunning to see his transformation. He was in Africa, it was too hot to do anything, so all he said he did was sit in a tree for 11 hours waiting for big game to go by. He caught and ate 3 big animals and he looked better than anything at the gym. That very day Ray Peat's words came to life for me in a vision of Matt Wright coming into the new camp looking impressively adorned with pelts, animal heads and amazing muscles. All of his layer of fat was gone. He ate his way into that new body! Talk about seeing is believing! The funny thing is the camp he was coming into had been foraging more and not getting the protein, and they looked pitiful, a bit like me back then I guess. I was exciting at that moment and decided I didn't was to look thin and pitiful especially at 57, I wanted to look like Matt, strong, and I have eating may way there ever since.