Aging Fast & Alien Confusion

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Zinc supplementation has been shown to augment the effects that exhaustive exercise has of decreasing thyroid and testosterone levels. In studies, the participants that supplemented with zinc had higher hormone values after four weeks.

Common sources: Beef, lamb, buffalo, chicken, turkey, duck, geese.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Can this be true?

“When you drink a glass of red wine, one of its compounds, quercetin, has been shown in lab studies to block the UGT2B17 enzyme from attaching to testosterone. As a result, an influx in the red wine compound quercetin leaves lab samples with a higher level of testosterone compared to those lab samples that didn’t interact with quercetin.”

J.R.K

Can this be true?

“When you drink a glass of red wine, one of its compounds, quercetin, has been shown in lab studies to block the UGT2B17 enzyme from attaching to testosterone. As a result, an influx in the red wine compound quercetin leaves lab samples with a higher level of testosterone compared to those lab samples that didn’t interact with quercetin.”

Quercitin was one of the antioxidants included in Dr Zelenko’s Z stack formula.
I think that it is beneficial the alcohol portion not so sure, but that being said I think that grape juice or grapes themselves and most citrus fruits might provide quercitin in safe quantities.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Quercitin was one of the antioxidants included in Dr Zelenko’s Z stack formula.
I think that it is beneficial the alcohol portion not so sure, but that being said I think that grape juice or grapes themselves and most citrus fruits might provide quercitin in safe quantities.
I know the value of quercetin, cause I took it for several years for histamine intolerance, but I am surprised about testosterone in wine.

J.R.K

I know the value of quercetin, cause I took it for several years for histamine intolerance, but I am surprised about testosterone in wine.
I am starting to see a relationship possibly between anti inflammatory substances and a rise is androgens.
Whether this is true for all things anti inflammatory is something that needs to be assessed on an item by item basis due to their method of action,(an example would be omega 3).
If I am not mistaken I believe that the skins of citrus fruits have a high benefit for anti inflammatory substances.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I am starting to see a relationship possibly between anti inflammatory substances and a rise is androgens.
Whether this is true for all things anti inflammatory is something that needs to be assessed on an item by item basis due to their method of action,(an example would be omega 3).
If I am not mistaken I believe that the skins of citrus fruits have a high benefit for anti inflammatory substances.
I am make my inflammation the focal point in my health too! Even though I don’t have any aches or pains, and my digestion is great, it doesn’t mean inflammation isn’t there. I am aware that even though I can “get away with” eating stuff that causes inflammation, I am not gonna wait until I have the outward manifestations of inflammation to get my act together. My friends always think I can’t have “this” or “that” and I constantly remind them that I can have whatever I want, I just choose not to eat things that tear my body down. So when it comes to drinking alcohol I ONLY drink “high end” white tequila, but now hearing wine has more benefits that the ones I knew of, and just weren’t worth it for me, maybe I won’t say no to a glass of wine when it is offered again.

Yes citrus skins have been an amazing addition to my diet this year! I had orange marmalade on my sprouted and buttered toast this morning and the peel of one organic orange in my affigato today!

Attachments

• 7F294605-242A-490A-9F6B-91E9957BCA48.jpeg
    7F294605-242A-490A-9F6B-91E9957BCA48.jpeg
    234.1 KB · Views: 1
OP
Rinse & rePeat
“After the age of fifty, low cholesterol is clearly associated with an increased risk of dying from a variety of causes. A study of old women indicated that a cholesterol level of 270 mg. per 100 ml. was associated with the best longevity (Forette, et al., 1989). "Mortality was lowest at serum cholesterol 7.0 mmol/l [=270.6 mg%], 5.2 times higher than the minimum at serum cholesterol 4.0 mmol/l, and only 1.8 times higher when cholesterol concentration was 8.8 mmol/l. This relation held true irrespective of age, even when blood pressure, body weight, history of myocardial infarction, creatinine clearance, and plasma proteins were taken into account."

The next step in studies of this sort should be to see how the combination of extra thyroid with adequate cholesterol influences longevity. The rising cholesterol that commonly occurs with aging is probably only partial compensation for declining thyroid function, and by optimizing all of the protective factors, radical changes in the aging process may be possible.” -Ray Peat

gunther

“Zinc supplementation has been shown to augment the effects that exhaustive exercise has of decreasing thyroid and testosterone levels. In studies, the participants that supplemented with zinc had higher hormone values after four weeks.

Common sources: Beef, lamb, buffalo, chicken, turkey, duck, geese.”

Doesn't that sentence contradict itself? Wouldn't "decreasing thyroid and testosterone levels" mean participants would have HIGHER hormone values?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Doesn't that sentence contradict itself? Wouldn't "decreasing thyroid and testosterone levels" mean participants would have HIGHER hormone values?
I took it that exhaustive exercise decreased testosterone and zinc makes testosterone higher.

gunther

I took it that exhaustive exercise decreased testosterone and zinc makes testosterone higher.

Oohhhhh!!!! Yeah. I totally read that wrong.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Many factors, including poor nutrition, climate, emotional or physical stress (even excessive running) and toxins, can cause a progesterone deficiency.” -Rsy Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“I've had the the opportunity to ask Ray about more details concerning building muscle and getting lean on a Ray Peat diet. The first part of the answer was like "i never go to gym" style. But i was surprised by the second part. I've asked him what his thoughts on exercice such as Dips, dumbbells, Bench for exemple, low rep such as slow concentric exercices avoiding hyperventilation.

RP Answer : I think diet and hormones are far more important than the specific kind of exercise, but swimming, bicycling, and tennis are good.“

J.R.K

“I've had the the opportunity to ask Ray about more details concerning building muscle and getting lean on a Ray Peat diet. The first part of the answer was like "i never go to gym" style. But i was surprised by the second part. I've asked him what his thoughts on exercice such as Dips, dumbbells, Bench for exemple, low rep such as slow concentric exercices avoiding hyperventilation.

RP Answer : I think diet and hormones are far more important than the specific kind of exercise, but swimming, bicycling, and tennis are good.“

This statement is so counterintuitive to the zeitgeist in the fitness industry today.
The obvious paradox of the statement,”no pain no gain”, becomes increasingly obvious to me in my later years.
One should realize the obvious signals being sent from the body to the mind, but the popular belief to push hard to get the desired results and rewards is a deep rooted piece of propaganda.

J.R.K

“After the age of fifty, low cholesterol is clearly associated with an increased risk of dying from a variety of causes. A study of old women indicated that a cholesterol level of 270 mg. per 100 ml. was associated with the best longevity (Forette, et al., 1989). "Mortality was lowest at serum cholesterol 7.0 mmol/l [=270.6 mg%], 5.2 times higher than the minimum at serum cholesterol 4.0 mmol/l, and only 1.8 times higher when cholesterol concentration was 8.8 mmol/l. This relation held true irrespective of age, even when blood pressure, body weight, history of myocardial infarction, creatinine clearance, and plasma proteins were taken into account."

The next step in studies of this sort should be to see how the combination of extra thyroid with adequate cholesterol influences longevity. The rising cholesterol that commonly occurs with aging is probably only partial compensation for declining thyroid function, and by optimizing all of the protective factors, radical changes in the aging process may be possible.” -Ray Peat
I also think that the relationship between progesterone can actually substitute in for thyroid would also be beneficial.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
This statement is so counterintuitive to the zeitgeist in the fitness industry today.
The obvious paradox of the statement,”no pain no gain”, becomes increasingly obvious to me in my later years.
One should realize the obvious signals being sent from the body to the mind, but the popular belief to push hard to get the desired results and rewards is a deep rooted piece of propaganda.
[/QUO
Funny you should say that, cause my ex, who is only 7 years older than me, has been a gym rat since his teens. He is a typical heath conscience person, eating low fat, artificial sweeteners and he looks ancient now, at 66, and has had back problems since his 40’s. I haven’t been to the gym in over 30 years and eat plenty or sugar and butter and don’t have any aches and pains. My ex was always critical of my high butter and salt consumption while he thought he knew better, and now I couldn’t help pointing it out, last night, that here we are 30 years later and his way and my way played out very differently.

J.R.K

Without going down the conspiracy theory pathway, but given everything that has happened in the past two years, it would be a real thought to consider that this diet, health and fitness narrative that has been pushed for sixty or seventy years, might very well be an assault upon the populations health in order to facilitate clients for the pharmaceutical and medical complex.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Without going down the conspiracy theory pathway, but given everything that has happened in the past two years, it would be a real thought to consider that this diet, health and fitness narrative that has been pushed for sixty or seventy years, might very well be an assault upon the populations health in order to facilitate clients for the pharmaceutical and medical complex.
Certainly products like margarine, artificial sweeteners and fluoride can take blame for the health decline of the masses, but gyms and those that promote things like the Atkinson diet designed for big pharmacy gain I can’t see that. To your point, it isn’t too far fetched to think that the original food pyramid, with 11 servings of grains “suggested” as being most important, could have been designed for the purpose of making people sick, cause it makes no sense to me.

Attachments

• 1B0F6BAC-E714-4F01-AF2A-840596D74E65.jpeg
    1B0F6BAC-E714-4F01-AF2A-840596D74E65.jpeg
    182.4 KB · Views: 4

J.R.K

Certainly products like margarine, artificial sweeteners and fluoride can take blame for the health decline of the masses, but gyms and those that promote things like the Atkinson diet designed for big pharmacy gain I can’t see that. To your point, it isn’t too far fetched to think that the original food pyramid, with 11 servings of grains “suggested” as being most important, could have been designed for the purpose of making people sick, cause it makes no sense to me.
To clarify my thought,”, it would be a real thought to consider that this diet, health and fitness narrative that has been pushed for sixty or seventy years,”. What I meant was that the whole concept of eat less move more, seems to have long term consequences that the results promised are completely opposite of those that are received in the end.
I have no issue with going to the gym and working out, with the caveat being what type of workout you are doing, combined with what type of diet you use to fuel the the activity but also counteract the stress hormones created during the workout.
An example would be power lifters that put immense strain on there bodies lifting or pulling incredible weights, or pulling and throwing items in order to be the king of the hill as it were. However fast forward ten years and see the results of the stresses they have put their bodies through, it is not uncommon to see heart issues, joint and bone deterioration, worn cartilage, as well as brain and cognitive issues (ie football concussions)This is of course the extreme and these champions are held in esteem as shining examples for the rest of us.
If you are young and impressionable these heroes become your role models and you hit the gym with that goal in mind, but there is a tendency to only look at the prize for your labour and not the price you pay for your labour (as you have observed with your ex). Combined with the dietary suggestions put out by the government experts in nutrition, one can find themselves in a quagmire of health issues after a period of time, since the stress hormone systems being activated were only designed to be on for the short period of time it took to outrun the lion or your friend to get up the tree to safety.

A hard fact that most athletes take upon themselves as a mantra is that there is a belief that second place is the first place loser. I feel that the mental weight of carrying that belief will also take a toll upon an organism knowing that there can be only one winner and the margin of difference between first place champion and first place loser could be as little as one tenth of a second, or the opinion of a judge.
This would be my concern that people go to the gym to be healthy and have an increased longevity, but feel they need to be there and perform like they are an elite athlete, without having accumulated a proper knowledge of how to counteract and shutdown the stress hormones ie cortisol feels really good when you are on it, and sugar helps to shut down its effects, but we are continually bombarded all the time on how bad sugar is.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“On the level of an individual, the movement away from fitness and sensitivity would resemble the development of aging and degenerative disease; on the level of a species, it would amount to "reverse evolution," a mammal would become more reptilian, a primate would become more rodent-like.

Protective interventions, and therapies, will consist of things which protect the structures (preserving sensitivity, while blocking excessive stimulation), and which increase the energy resources. A great variety of physiological indicators show that substances such as progesterone, thyroid and carbon dioxide are acting "universally" as protectants, in ways that make sense only with some perspective such as this, of the systematic changes in the physical state of the living substance.” -Ray Peat

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals