Aging Fast & Alien Confusion

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Intense exercise damages cells in ways that cumulatively impair metabolism. There is clear evidence that glycolysis, producing lactic acid from glucose, has toxic effects, suppressing respiration and killing cells. Within five minutes, exercise lowers the activity of enzymes that oxidize glucose. Diabetes, Alzheimer's disease, and general aging involve increased lactic acid production and accumulated metabolic (mitochondrial) damage.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Exercise, like aging, obesity, and diabetes, increases the levels of circulating free fatty acids and lactate. But ordinary activity of an integral sort, activates the systems in an organized way, increasing carbon dioxide and circulation and efficiency. Different types of exercise have been identified as destructive or reparative to the mitochondria; "concentric" muscular work is said to be restorative to the mitochondria. As I understand it, this means contraction with a load, and relaxation without a load. The heart's contraction follows this principle, and this could explain the observation that heart mitochondria don't change in the course of ordinary aging.“ -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“The production of lactic acid during intense muscle activity led some people to suggest that fatigue occurred when the muscle wasn't getting enough oxygen, but experiments show that fatigue sets in while adequate oxygen is being delivered to the muscle. Underwater divers sometimes get an excess of oxygen, and that often causes muscle fatigue and soreness. At high altitudes, where there is relatively little oxygen, strength and endurance can increase.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Heat, hypoglycemia, running, and some types of shock are known to stimulate growth hormone secretion, sometimes to levels ten or twenty times higher than normal. (Two kinds of stress that usually don't increase GH are cold and stimulus-deprivation.) I consider the growth hormone to be, almost as much as prolactin, a stress-inducible hormone. That's why I reasoned that, if an endocrinologist as good as Sapolsky can misunderstand GH to that degree, the public is even more likely to misunderstand the nature of the material, and to believe that it somehow acts just on muscle, fat, and bones.“ -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Probably the most influential thing I’ve done to help fix my health has been to completely stop lifting. I had pushed myself years never missing a workout. I had a strength coach I would workout 4 times a week and increasingly high intensities and volumes, and dont get me wrong, I gained a ton of muscle and strength. How could building muscle be unhealthy? I thought I could recover if my diet and supplements were good enough.

But after a year of Peating, my sex drive was zero, I was still losing my hair and my blood pressure was 145/90 and I still felt like a zombie and wasn’t losing fat. I couldn’t lift anymore. Ive quit lifting for about a month now, and every one of these negative trends has reversed. Most importantly, I’m feeling better.

LESSON LEARNED: Don’t under estimate how stressful exercise can be. I plan on getting back into lifting eventually, but from a position of good health! Probably also limiting volume and intensity as well.“

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Besides lowering the liver's detoxifying ability, stress, hypoglycemia, malnutrition, hypothyroidism, and aging can cause estrogen to be synthesized inappropriately and continuously. With aging, estrogen begins to be produced throughout the body--in fat, muscles, skin, bones, brain, liver, breast, uterus, etc. Polyunsaturated fats are a major factor in the induction and activation of the aromatase enzyme, which synthesizes estrogen.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“While stress typically causes the adrenal glands to produce cortisol, extreme stress, as described by Hans Selye, damages the adrenal cortex, and can cause the cells to die, leading to the death of the animal.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“While lactic acidosis causes bone loss, acidosis caused by increased carbonic acid doesn't; low bicarbonate in the body fluids seems to remove carbonate from the bone (Bushinsky, et al., 1993), and also mineral phosphates (Bushinsky, et al., 2003). The parathyroid hormone, which removes calcium from bone, causes lactic acid to be formed by bone cells (Nijweide, et al., 1981; Lafeber, et al., 1986). Lactic acid produced by intense exercise causes calcium loss from bone (Ashizawa, et al., 1997), and sodium bicarbonate increases calcium retention by bone. Vitamin K2 (Yamaguchi, et al., 2003) blocks the removal of calcium from bone caused by parathyroid hormone and prostaglandin E2, by completely blocking their stimulation of lactic acid production by bone tissues. Aspirin, which, like vitamin K, supports cell respiration and inhibits lactic acid formation, also favors bone calcification. Vitamin K2 stimulates the formation of two important bone proteins, osteocalcin and osteonectin (Bunyaratavej, et al., 2009), and reduces the activity of estrogen by oxidizing estradiol (Otsuka, et al, 2005).“
-Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“A roundup of 29 different studies published last year showed no connection between dairy intake and heart disease or death of any kind. Another study published in July followed more than 2,900 American adults for more than two decades and found that people who consumed full-fat dairy had no greater risk of dying from any cause than anyone else.

Banach and his colleagues have now gone even further, and found that dairy isn't just harmless, it might even be helpful. When the researchers dove into six years of data on 24,474 middle-aged Americans, they determined that eating dairy was associated with a 2% reduced risk of death overall. Consumption of cheese was associated with the best outcome: an 8% lower total mortality risk.“

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“The high metabolic rate of a bird, combined with its development inside an egg, means that compromises are made. The high rate of metabolism uses the stored energy rapidly, so the growth of the brain is limited. But their very high body temperature maximizes the effectiveness of that brain. Birds, such as owls, parrots, and crows, that hatch in a less developed, more dependent condition, are able to continue their brain growth, and have larger brains than other birds, such as chickens. In birds and mammals, longevity generally corresponds to brain size and metabolic rate. (For example, a pet crow, Tata, died at the age of 59 in 2006 in New York; parrots sometimes live more than 100 years.) These (altricious) birds are the opposite of precocious, they preserve embryonic or infantile traits into adulthood.”
-Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Hypoventilation would be the opposite of what cardio produces….

“In ancient China the Taoists were concerned with longevity, and according to Joseph Needham (Science and Civilization in China) their methods included the use of herbs, minerals, and steroids extracted from the urine of children. Some of those who claimed extreme longevity practiced controlled breathing and tai chi (involving imagery, movement, and breating), typically in the early morning hours, when stress reduction is most important. As far as I know, there are no studies of carbon dioxide levels in practitioners of tai chi, but the sensation of warmth they typically report suggests that it involves hypoventilation.“ -Ray Peat

J.R.K

Hypoventilation would be the opposite of what cardio produces….

“In ancient China the Taoists were concerned with longevity, and according to Joseph Needham (Science and Civilization in China) their methods included the use of herbs, minerals, and steroids extracted from the urine of children. Some of those who claimed extreme longevity practiced controlled breathing and tai chi (involving imagery, movement, and breating), typically in the early morning hours, when stress reduction is most important. As far as I know, there are no studies of carbon dioxide levels in practitioners of tai chi, but the sensation of warmth they typically report suggests that it involves hypoventilation.“ -Ray Peat
Thank you for posting this treasure trove of observations and reasonings for the benefits and dangers of various, “healthy activities”.
I would be curious on your preferences for increasing carbon dioxide retention.
My personal best for a comfortable breath delay is about fifty seconds which is pretty good but @haidut reports he can do two minutes. Very impressive.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Thank you for posting this treasure trove of observations and reasonings for the benefits and dangers of various, “healthy activities”.
I would be curious on your preferences for increasing carbon dioxide retention.
My personal best for a comfortable breath delay is about fifty seconds which is pretty good but @haidut reports he can do two minutes. Very impressive.
That is interesting, and I imaging would make swimming, underwater holding breath, one of the best forms of exercise. I have been bag breathing, but I might try just holding my breath and see what I can work up to. It certainly gives more opportunities when driving and such.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Oh my gosh J.R.K, that was hard holding my breath for 50 seconds! At 40 second I went into serious panic mode! Are we sure this is good for us? I almost think I am getting a slight head ache from this!

J.R.K

Actually @Rinse & rePeat you should not go past a comfortable level, my understanding is that you exhale then time how long you need before you need to take a breath in a comfortable manner, if you are gasping for air at the end you have,”done it incorrectly”, you should not need to hyperventilate after the delayed pause.
There are a few ways to build on this when walking for example, exhale normally then take five steps (or whatever is comfortable) then inhale then do it again, once again if you are out of breath you have exceeded your capacity.
It is an interesting concept, but hypo ventilation does seem to be a genuine thing with roots that extend into the Asian monks, and martial artists. I feel this ability to maintain a high level of CO2 equates to living and adapting to life at higher altitudes.
A good example of this is Mile High stadium in Denver where teams that are scheduled to play there arrive at least a week in advance in order to acclimatize to the altitude, you will notice that most opposing teams will have oxygen available on the sidelines.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Actually @Rinse & rePeat you should not go past a comfortable level, my understanding is that you exhale then time how long you need before you need to take a breath in a comfortable manner, if you are gasping for air at the end you have,”done it incorrectly”, you should not need to hyperventilate after the delayed pause.
There are a few ways to build on this when walking for example, exhale normally then take five steps (or whatever is comfortable) then inhale then do it again, once again if you are out of breath you have exceeded your capacity.
It is an interesting concept, but hypo ventilation does seem to be a genuine thing with roots that extend into the Asian monks, and martial artists. I feel this ability to maintain a high level of CO2 equates to living and adapting to life at higher altitudes.
A good example of this is Mile High stadium in Denver where teams that are scheduled to play there arrive at least a week in advance in order to acclimatize to the altitude, you will notice that most opposing teams will have oxygen available on the sidelines.
Do don’t hold breathe take a breath and then a long time to exhale?