Aging and ray peat diet

Suikerbuik

Not impressed by this. In essence it's just exactly what peat says imo. Only difference is that he knows very much about food and she doesn't seem to know anything about food..

OP
M

M134

its actually completely different. According to this article fish oil is anti aging as are pufas.. milk and sugar is aging. What makes Ray Peat's information more accurate than all other nutritionists and dietitians who have come before him saying that pufas are good and sugar is bad?

Mephisto

M134 said:
its actually completely different. According to this article fish oil is anti aging as are pufas.. milk and sugar is aging. What makes Ray Peat's information more accurate than all other nutritionists and dietitians who have come before him saying that pufas are good and sugar is bad?

Ray Peat's work is based on a different understanding of cell biology. The currently accepted theory has many flaws. He isn't working from the same assumptions as other nutritionists who base their ideas on shaky foundations.

jyb

M134 said:

You should read his articles. Pick a dozen of them, read them over and over. It is explained in detail why those nutritionists are wrong about aging, sugar, pufas... and from there you can start asking questions, research and make an opinion for yourself.

J

j.

M134 said:

Claims without evidence or flawed studies aren't very valuable.

Peata

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/86/4/1225.full

That link goes to a study with full text. "Dietary nutrient intakes and skin-aging appearance among middle-aged American women". I read it years ago, but now I need to read it again since I go by the Peat perspective and see what I can make of it.

Peata

Peata said:
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/86/4/1225.full

That link goes to a study with full text. "Dietary nutrient intakes and skin-aging appearance among middle-aged American women". I read it years ago, but now I need to read it again since I go by the Peat perspective and see what I can make of it.

I just saw that this study was supported by Unilever, which makes skin care products. I wondered why all the emphasis on Vitamin C, also mentioning it as a topical... makes sense now.

Some things from the study that seem "pro-Peat" and others that seem the opposite:

Women with a wrinkled appearance had significantly lower intakes of protein, total dietary cholesterol, phosphorus, potassium, vitamin A, and vitamin C than did women without a wrinkled appearance.

Women with senile dry skin had significantly lower intakes of linoleic acid (this is PUFA) vitamin C than did women without senile dry skin.

Women with skin atrophy had a significantly lower linoleic acid intake than did women without skin atrophy.

A 17-g increase in fat and a 50-g increase in carbohydrate intakes increased the ORs of a wrinkled appearance and skin atrophy.

Smokers with a wrinkled appearance had significantly lower intakes of protein and niacin than did smokers without wrinkled appearance (P < 0.05), and smokers with skin atrophy had higher calcium intakes than did smokers without skin atrophy (P < 0.05) (data not shown).

Furthermore, higher thiamine intakes were associated with an increased likelihood of a wrinkled appearance.

Our findings that women with a wrinkled appearance had lower vitamin A intakes...

Peata

I personally look better eating the foods RP recommends and avoiding PUFA.

LucyL

That study is a trip. I liked this quote:

"Several studies have observed improved protection of the skin against sun damage (photoprotection) by dietary supplementation with vitamins E and C, carotenoids (β-carotene and lycopene), and polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) (16, 17)."

I'm guessing it there is any real correlation it is that those people that ate the most pufa's also probably used the most sunscreen, effectively protecting their skin from their own damaging behaviour. Wonder what their melanoma rate was.

Peata

Yes, I felt like that study is all over the place and might have been conducted to promote the sale of skincare products.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I believe it was designed to sell crap skincare products and to continue the misinformation campaign for PUFAs. What better group to target than middle aged women who often feel pressured by society to look a certain way(younger than we are). We are also often the ones buying the food that feeds our families so they can get more bang for their buck by targeting us. All under the guise of science. I wonder how many women picked up some flax or rapeseed oil after reading that. My skin has definitely improved on a peat style approach. I no longer get new age spots and my skins firmness, thickness and elasticity have all improved. I know beyond a doubt ditching PUFA was one of the best things I've ever done for my health. What truly is concerning is people will believe that, implement those changes and when the consequences arise the connection to PUFA won't be made because of the infatuation we have with as a society with these oils. The doctor will probably just say it's part of being middle aged and hand out some Prozac!

Peata

Yes, four years ago, I read the result of that study the OP linked and one I linked, and I definitely tried to base my diet around those foods and "the Mediterranean diet" to try to help with skin condition and aging.

So I had a high intake of..
vegetables, especially greens, spinach, eggplant, onions, garlic, tomatoes, carrots, lots of salads
legumes
olive oil
nuts
apples, berries
multigrain bread
tea and water
fish (fatty fish like salmon and sardines)
cheese, butter, potatoes (apparently not enough to offset everything else I was taking in)
I also drank V8 vegetable juice and red wine, coffee (black)

I had a low or no intake of..
milk
sugar
ice cream
soft drinks
gelatin
orange juice

A year after that I went low carb, got into IF and later... almost all raw foods and then Perricone (lots of fatty fish, greens, etc. no sugar).

I should have had fantastic skin, or at least some improvement.

I didn't get the results I was looking for eating these different ways. For example, facial redness and discoloration didn't reduce as I'd hoped. I also didn't get even a small amount of skin/sun protection I had read eating this way would give me.

I seemed to get worse estrogen dominance symptoms.

himsahimsa

In general, people who eat the "healthier" things on this list, probably take better care of themselves, are aware of health and nutrition. That in itself usually correlates with slower deterioration and better overall health. Diets constructed of simple real foods are not that bad. The most drastic problem pointed out by RP is consumption of hundreds of grams of PUFA per week by an animal that would get maybe 3 grams if before industrial seed oil.

Overall, those with a higher intake of vegetables, legumes, olive oil, monounsaturated fat (e.g. olive oil) and legumes, but a lower intake of milk and milk products, butter, margarine and sugar products had less skin wrinkling and aging. Eggs, yogurt, legumes (especially broad and lima beans), vegetables (especially green leafy, spinach, eggplant, asparagus, celery, onions, leeks, garlic), nuts, olives, cherries, melon, dried fruits (in particular prunes, apples and pears), multigrain bread, jam, tea and water were all shown to protect against skin wrinkling and aging. Higher intakes of vitamin C, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, iron, zinc, and retinol (vitamin A) were also very protective against skin wrinkling and aging. Whole milk sweet milk desserts, ice cream, red meat (especially processed meat), potatoes, soft drinks, cordials, cakes and pastries were associated with increased skin wrinkling and aging.

And this is based on what, anyway?

schultz

LucyL said:
post 37358 That study is a trip. I liked this quote:

"Several studies have observed improved protection of the skin against sun damage (photoprotection) by dietary supplementation with vitamins E and C, carotenoids (β-carotene and lycopene), and polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) (16, 17)."

I'm guessing it there is any real correlation it is that those people that ate the most pufa's also probably used the most sunscreen, effectively protecting their skin from their own damaging behaviour. Wonder what their melanoma rate was.

Yah it is a trip! If you go to citation 16 in your above quote they explain the reasoning for saying PUFA is sun protective. It's always nice to see their reasoning instead of just the headline "PUFA protects from sun damage" or something. Here are some quotes from study "16"...

10 subjects enriched their diets daily with fish oil containing 2.8 g EPA and 1.2 g docosahexaenoic acid (DHA; 22:6n−3) and 10 other subjects received a placebo. After 4 wk, a small but statistically significant increase in the MED was seen in the fish-oil group, which corresponded to a sun-protection factor slightly >1... consumption of n−3 PUFAs was photoprotective.

and right below that paragraph...

Dietary supplementation of 15 subjects with 10 g fish oil/d, which provided 18% EPA and 12% DHA, resulted in an increase in the MED after 6 mo (24); 10 wk after fish-oil supplementation ended, the MED decreased again. However, parallel to an increase in total n−3 fatty acids in the epidermis, lipid peroxidation products increased in irradiated skin. Although fish-oil consumption reduced UV irradiation–induced erythema, the susceptibility of the skin to lipid peroxidation increased because of the unstable nature of n−3 fatty acids.

:lol:

Of course, from a Peat perspective we understand that the positive effect of n-3 is its displacement of n-6 and therefore a reduction in inflammation following sun exposure. However, we also know that n-3 is more unstable than n-6 and more likely to form its own breakdown products with their own set of problems.

Last edited by a moderator: