Ageless Peater

paymanz

Thank you but the link does not seem to be working. Is it just pure glycerol without additives and filler as I have very sensitive skin?
Yeah pure glycerol, other names are glycerine,glycerin,vegetable glycerin...

I wondering why you cant open the link, if you have access to amazon you may search it and many results will come up...

tara

Fasting is great for anti-aging due to Autophagy: Autophagy and aging: keeping that old broom working

As for how long a fast needs to be and how frequent, I'm not sure. Maybe a 24-36hr fast 1-2x per week is ideal. At least from everything I've read, the common consensus is one should not fast any more than that.

For the forum purpose of helping people use this place to learn about Peat's ideas, please indicate when you post ideas that directly contradict them.
1. Forum Rules ...
c. Make clear if the content of your post is NOT in line with Ray Peat's philosophy.
Terms of Service and Rules | Ray Peat Forum

Diokine

To be fair I've talked to Dr. Peat about fasting and he's responded about it favorably regarding healing severe gut inflammation.

zooma

@Diokine could you share the email(s)? I've only seen Ray say that (intermittent) fasting can be quite safe if you have good glycogen storage, not that it would have any benefit. Though I could see how that context may change things. Thanks

nikolabeacon

To be fair I've talked to Dr. Peat about fasting and he's responded about it favorably regarding healing severe gut inflammation.

I have never understood the difference beetwen abstaining from food and forced eating without experiencing full hungrer and appetite

Peat also said that eating when not fully hungry is not god for bowels and digestion

If you just let the hunger and appetite dictate when to eat you will actually constantly experince those starting fasting signaling.....and when bowels are not inflammed and ready for digestion you will feel hungry and increased appetite...

I think that it is equally stresfull and harmfull for someone to eat when he is not really hungry and withoit appetite just because he think that "eating lowers stress" ...but when it is withoit appetite i see it as a same as forced fadting and abstaing from food....

When we have some bowel viruses and bacteria owergrowh hunger and appetite diminishes.....so fasting itself is a very natural part of signaling hunger and of bowel function and proper digedtion

So for ageless peater most important is not to force yourself to do anything in the first place even when it comes to sleep pattern ov an individual

tara

I've seen Peat mention potential benefits of fasting from time to time too for specific conditions, but have you ever seen him recommend it as a regular once or twice a week thing for general youthfulness? Maybe I've missed it - if so, I'll be happy to retract my comment above. The thing I've seen fairly consistently from Peat is the importance of avoiding too much of the stress of unduly low blood sugar (and that can mean longer or shorter fasts depending on glycogen stores etc).

paymanz

I've seen Peat mention potential benefits of fasting from time to time too for specific conditions, but have you ever seen him recommend it as a regular once or twice a week thing for general youthfulness? Maybe I've missed it - if so, I'll be happy to retract my comment above. The thing I've seen fairly consistently from Peat is the importance of avoiding too much of the stress of unduly low blood sugar (and that can mean longer or shorter fasts depending on glycogen stores etc).
I didn't know that that, can you please refer me to where he talked about potential benefit of fasting, if you remember it, thanks

tara

I didn't know that that, can you please refer me to where he talked about potential benefit of fasting, if you remember it, thanks
I'm afraid I can't remember, but I just refound these two references. Neither of them are straightforwardly recommending fasting, but both of them refer to some specific potential benefits that can sometimes occur during fasting:

“Fasting has been found to relieve rheumatoid arthritis, and there is good evidence that a variety of bowel bacteria are involved in arthritis and other “autoimmune diseases.” Bacterial toxins and antigens interact with hormones and the immune systems, and intestinal health should be considered as an integral part of hormone therapy. Raw carrots, by stimulating the intestine, often help to lower estrogen and increase progesterone. One of the thyroid hormone’s important functions is to improve digestion and bowel health.”
http://www.functionalps.com/blog/2012/09/28/ray-peat-phd-on-the-benefits-of-the-raw-carrot/

There are proteins (uncoupling proteins, UCP) that cause the mitochondria to increase their consumption of oxygen without increasing their synthesis of ATP. The synthesis of ATP is usually thought of as the main reason for the consumption of oxygen, so the UCP have been assumed to exist to increase heat production. The formation of carbon dioxide is usually thought of as just an unavoidable consequence. UCP proteins, however, exist in situations in which heat production doesn’t seem appropriate (Borecký & Vercesi, 2005; Aguilera, et al., 2005; Gnanalingham, et al., 2005). For example, fasting or calorie restriction increases UCP, tending to cause tissues to consume energy more rapidly. Stress and hypoxia also can increase UCP, suggesting that these enzymes have protective functions.

Increasing the formation of carbon dioxide seems to me to be the essential function of the UCP. Thyroid hormone (T3) increases UCP, and UCP increases the formation of new mitochondria. Increased activity of the UCP is closely associated with increased lifespan. A decreased amount of T3 in tissues during aging corresponds to decreasing mitochondrial functon.
Articles - Don’t Be Conned By The Resveratrol Scam

EIRE24

Yeah pure glycerol, other names are glycerine,glycerin,vegetable glycerin...

I wondering why you cant open the link, if you have access to amazon you may search it and many results will come up...
Could you mix coconut oil and glycerin? Also what would be the best essential oils to put on the skin?

paymanz

Could you mix coconut oil and glycerin? Also what would be the best essential oils to put on the skin?
I don't know,never mixed them.

I'm not very knowledgeable about essential oils, but black seed oil is very interesting, there is countless articles on pubmed about it and when I asked ray about it he said the quinones in it are very interesting.

only bad thing about it is its high pufa content..

In have posted his reply on forum.

OldMan

+1.

(From an older woman who knows a thing or two about this...Following Ray Peat is by far the best protocol for looking young. Pregnenolone works for tightening facial muscles. Progesterone gives skin a nice glow. :)
How old?

paymanz

One more thing, if you don't mind: Are you aware if glycerol negatively affects any hormone, CO2 production, serotonin/dopamine? What about hair(eyebrows)?
No nothing at all,at least none that im aware of.

Your body synthesizes it from glucose, and also when your body breaks lipids in your body it releases some glycerol.your body always has some glycerol in your blood and tissues.

No , no problem for hairs.it is widely used for cosmetic purposes.

Last edited:
OP
R

Ron J

No nothing at all,at least none that im aware of.

Your body synthesizes it from glucose, and also when your body breaks lipids in your body it releases some glycerol.your body always has some glycerol in your blood and tissues.

No , no problem for hairs.it is widely used for cosmetic purposes.
Very helpful; thank you.

tankasnowgod

As for things that help skin look better, I've had noticeable improvements with both topical niacinamide, and 40% urea cream after a couple days of use. Both of those would be 100% Peat approved. Some results do fade if you stop application.

As for fasting and intermittent fasting...... Peat doesn't expressly recommend it, or caution against it. And I think there is good reason for this. It can be beneficial, or it can be detrimental. LARGELY depends on context. As for cortisol spikes, I'll just say that Martin Berkhan has a few studies on his website showing that short term IF style fasts cause overall cortisol expression to remain about the same, or to decrease. However, if there are benefits to the compressed eating window, they seem to occur mostly in men. Females (both animal and human) don't seem to tolerate fasting (even shorter term fasts like 16-36 hours) as well as males.

I'm experimenting with IF again, and tracking my results. On the whole, self-experimention is VERY Peaty.

Luann

In response to tara's stance on fasting, she is in line with what Peat has to say on the subject. Fasting will induce in most people a low blood sugar state and that leads to fatty acid release into the blood where they do damage. Or something very similar to that. Yes there are times when fasting as a last resort can have a benefit or for people with low UFA stores. But most of us, no.

M

marikay

Ill be 57 in June.... born in 60.... so im keenly interested in antiaging

You're two or three months older than me. So we are (age wise anyway) in the same boat. I'm defrinately younger looking than most of my friends our age, but I''d like to keep going as I'm sure you are as well. Cheers.

OldMan

You're two or three months older than me. So we are (age wise anyway) in the same boat. I'm defrinately younger looking than most of my friends our age, but I''d like to keep going as I'm sure you are as well. Cheers.
Has following Dr. PEATs recommendations contributed to your "younger looking" appearance?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals