Age Related Macular Degeneration

x-ray peat

My Mother was just diagnosed with AMD so I did some hunting. Officially there is no cure for AMD but I suspect that it is more correct to say there is no profitable cure for AMD. Red Light Therapy particularly at 670nm has shown a lot of evidence that it is helpful. Vitamin K also looks promising.

Anyone else have some thoughts on AMD

Photobiomodulation for the treatment of retinal diseases: a review
"Age-related macular degeneration
The first evidence for the application of PBM to treat AMD in humans became available in 2008 from a prospective study of 348 eyes of 203 patients where Ivandic and Ivandic[21] demonstrated improvement in visual acuity (VA) in patients with the dry and wet forms of AMD. Three hundred and twenty-eight eyes of 193 patients received four 40seconds-long transconjunctival irradiations over 2wk with 780 nm light from a semiconductor laser diode with 0.3 J/cm2 delivered in the macular region during each treatment, with no adverse effects. Among the treated eyes, 146 had cataracts while 182 did not. The remaining 20 eyes of 10 patients received mock treatments and served as controls. The primary outcome VA improved in 97% of the treated patients who had cataracts by a mean of 2 lines (range 1-7 lines) and in 94.5% of the cataract-free patients by the same amount, with no change in VA in the few remaining treated eyes or in the controls. The VA improvement was accompanied by a decrease in metamorphosias, scotomas, and acquired dyschromatopsia. Also, in the sub-population of patients with wet AMD, PBM treatment reduced the edema and bleeding. The only drawback of this study was the disproportionately small control arm.

Further support for PBM's usefulness in treating AMD patients stems from a prospective interventional case series of 18 eyes of 9 patients with dry AMD carried out by Merry G. et al, titled “Treatment of dry age-related macular degeneration with photobiomodulation” and presented at the 2012 ARVO Annual Meeting in Fort Lauderdale, FL. The PBM treatment there consisted of irradiation by the LED-based devices Warp 10 (Quantum Devices) at 670 nm, for 88s, delivering 4-7.7 J/cm2 and Gentlewaves (Light Bioscience) at 590 and 790 nm, for 35s, delivering 0.1 J/cm2 per treatment. All 18 eyes were treated sequentially with both devices each time for a total of 18 treatments (3 times per week for 6wk), with no adverse effects. There was statistically significant improvement in VA, by 1.5 lines on average, and in contrast sensitivity, with no changes on their third primary outcome-fixation stability."

and
Near-Infrared Light Heals Eyes
"Ms Albarracin said that treating the retina with just a few minutes exposure to soft near-infra-red light a day for less than a week had produced a remarkable recovery in damaged photoreceptors (vision cells) which ordinarily would have died."

Last edited:

Ella

Forum Supporter
Have you investigated iron overload in your mother? Mismanagement of iron transport and storage is implicated in AMD. All those Peaty strategies to chelate iron and inhibit the absorption of iron from the system should help. I am guessing your mother is postmenopausal. This is when iron accumulates in women. However, iron is poorly managed in cycling women due to the lack of Copper. A genetic condition which lacks the gene or carries a mutation for ferroxidase (ceruloplasmin) are also at risk for AMD.

Aceruloplasminemia - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics

OP
x-ray peat

x-ray peat

Have you investigated iron overload in your mother? Mismanagement of iron transport and storage is implicated in AMD. All those Peaty strategies to chelate iron and inhibit the absorption of iron from the system should help. I am guessing your mother is postmenopausal. This is when iron accumulates in women. However, iron is poorly managed in cycling women due to the lack of Copper. A genetic condition which lacks the gene or carries a mutation for ferroxidase (ceruloplasmin) are also at risk for AMD.

Aceruloplasminemia - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics
Thanks for the link. Will ask her about here iron levels and yes she is postmenopausal.
thanks for the link too.

Thedumbass

@Motif
In my neck of the woods we have a doctor who claims he can help if you have the dry form of macular degeneration I don't have it so I don't know what the difference between wet and dry.

Dr. Jonathan V. Wright is the name I haven't found him anti peat but he does recommend some anti peat stuff.​

P.S I accidently improved my vision dramatically with a combo of niacinamide (3 grams daily) and pyrucet (20 drops daily) haidut posted a study on glucoma using that combo after I had already used it. It is a seperate issue but it might help. FYI don't do that high does niacinamide unless you want adverse reactions. That's the max does for my body weight.

@Motif
In my neck of the woods we have a doctor who claims he can help if you have the dry form of macular degeneration I don't have it so I don't know what the difference between wet and dry.

Dr. Jonathan V. Wright is the name I haven't found him anti peat but he does recommend some anti peat stuff.​

P.S I accidently improved my vision dramatically with a combo of niacinamide (3 grams daily) and pyrucet (20 drops daily) haidut posted a study on glucoma using that combo after I had already used it. It is a seperate issue but it might help. FYI don't do that high does niacinamide unless you want adverse reactions. That's the max does for my body weight.

did you have macular degeneration dx?

Birdie

Anybody with new input on this? Thanks
It's not new input, but looking at the Jonathan Wright info, I see he has a program for Dry MD. That's the one 90% of people have. I am in that group, I think. About 5 years ago, I was told I had a few Drusen, which made me pre- Dry Macular Degeneration or Pre-MD.

It's not new input, but looking at the Jonathan Wright info, I see he has a program for Dry MD. That's the one 90% of people have. I am in that group, I think. About 5 years ago, I was told I had a few Drusen, which made me pre- Dry Macular Degeneration or Pre-MD.

Thanks very much.

P

Peatness

I think vitamin E is good for this condition but recent trials show otherwise. I believe this could be because of the poor quality vitamin E used.

David PS

From page 7 of the pdf
1652114668229.png

David PS

Methods: The multicenter LIGHTSITE II study was a randomized clinical trial evaluating safety and efficacy of PBM in intermediate non-exudative AMD. The LumiThera Valeda® Light Delivery System delivered multiwavelength PBM (590, 660 and 850 nm) or sham treatment 3 × per week over 3-4 weeks (9 treatments per series) with repeated treatments at baseline (BL), 4 and 8 months. Subjects were enrolled with 20/32 to 20/100 best-corrected visual acuity (BCVA) and no central geographic atrophy (GA) within the central fovea (500 μm).

Results: LIGHTSITE II enrolled 44 non-exudative AMD subjects (53 eyes). PBM-treated eyes showed statistically significant improvement in BCVA at 9 months (n = 32 eyes, p = 0.02) with a 4-letter gain in the PBM-treated group versus a 0.5-letter gain in the sham-treated group (ns, p < 0.1) for patients that received all 27 PBM treatments (n = 29 eyes). Approximately 35.3% of PBM-treated eyes showed ≥ 5-letter improvement at 9 months. Macular drusen volume was not increased over time in the PBM-treated group but did show increases in the sham-treated group. While PBM and sham groups both showed GA lesion growth in the trial period, there was 20% less growth in the PBM group over 10 months, suggesting potential disease-modifying effects. No safety concerns or signs of phototoxicity were observed.

Conclusion: These results confirm previous clinical testing of multiwavelength PBM and support treatment with Valeda as a novel therapy with a unique mechanism of action as a potential treatment for non-exudative AMD.

Rafe

@peatness
That taurine article is good. Just sent this to a relative who just had eye surgery for AMD.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals