Against A Ketogenic Diet

Milena

This just appeared in my email inbox...
"A ketogenic diet accelerates neurodegeneration in mice with induced mitochondrial DNA toxicity in the forebrain.

Forebrain refers to our 'last brain,' or the most recently developed portion of our brain. It controls everything from voluntary movement and the integration of sensory information to all our higher abstract thought, logic, speech, and emotions. Basically, the development of the forebrain is why humans are so intellectually advanced.

A ketogenic diet, and indeed a diet that reduces the availability of energy to the delicate structures and function of our brains causes a serious risk of neuro-degeneration. Some short term studies have tried to prove that fasting increases cognition and memory (more likely a response due to high levels of stress hormones which isn't workable long term). The fact that this study shows that the forebrain suffers is evident in most long term dieters (paleo, sugar detox, WW, etc) that frequently lose the ability to use abstract thought and reasoning when confronted with evidence opposing their beliefs. In fact this decline in logic is perfect for client retention in the diet industry.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/27639119/"
Anyone know what a 'Sugar detox' is?

Xisca

frequently lose the ability to use abstract thought and reasoning when confronted with evidence opposing their beliefs.
Anyone in a fight response does this!
All older brains are preemptive to each more recent part of the brain.

Last edited:

Samya

I'm not surprised by this at all, I noticed whenever I ate carbs after a period of low-carbing it felt like my brain would wake up, as if it had previously been half asleep.

I also use psychedelics and found whenever I ate carbs after low-carbing I'd have obviously psychedelic type effects. I feel this was showing that without having adequate glucose available the parts of the brain that psychedelics affect remain somehow supressed. This was also noticeable with dreams as I also seemed to dream more, as if my dreaming had been supressed.

The fact that this study shows that the forebrain suffers is evident in most long term dieters (paleo, sugar detox, WW, etc) that frequently lose the ability to use abstract thought and reasoning when confronted with evidence opposing their beliefs.

I do think that some people go so far into their belief in low-carb that they can't see through their own dogma, they become closed minded to the possibility they may be wrong.

I remember the first time I had been eating predominantly meat for around a month I felt as if that was me for the rest of my life, which was quite scary to commit to something like that, especially as I didn't exactly feel great and was emotionally numbed, living half a life. Thankfully I saw the light as I was still open-minded and didn't have anything invested in it other than my belief, unlike the low-carb gurus with book deals or twitter doctors with a bunch of followers that keep promoting low-carb as if it's the ideal diet for humans.

Last edited:

TubZy

Thanks...I always thought of keto this way after being in deep ketosis for many months...makes sense as it is a back up mechanism

sladerunner69

Maeks sense as the rbain is primarily composed of fatty tissue and ketogenesis is a state of survival and will utilize "spare" tissues from any organ