Aerobic Respiration Vs Calorie Intake

nomoreketones

Aerobic Respiration --> Up to 38 molecules of ATP from 1 molecule of glucose
Anaerobic Respiration --> 2 molecules of ATP from 1 molecule of glucose

So if you have a strong oxidative metabolism then you are getting a lot more usable energy from your food than if you are under stress and getting much of your energy from anaerobic respiration.

Question
If you follow a Ray Peat inspired diet and succeed in keeping stress low and generating most of your energy from a strong oxidative metabolism will you be able to thrive on fewer calories of food?

Koveras

Aerobic Respiration --> Up to 38 molecules of ATP from 1 molecule of glucose
Anaerobic Respiration --> 2 molecules of ATP from 1 molecule of glucose

So if you have a strong oxidative metabolism then you are getting a lot more usable energy from your food than if you are under stress and getting much of your energy from anaerobic respiration.

Question
If you follow a Ray Peat inspired diet and succeed in keeping stress low and generating most of your energy from a strong oxidative metabolism will you be able to thrive on fewer calories of food?

At rest, during activities of daily living and during other low intensity and/or longer duration activities, oxidative metabolism contributes the vast majority of energy required (close to 100%), stressed or not (certain diseased states excepted). Thus suppressing glycolysis at rest is likely to have minimal effect on energy requirements since the contribution of anaerobic glycolysis is close to nil.

Stress, at rest, is more likely to have an impact on or a relationship to the substrate you're oxidizing (ie. fats or carbohydrates). This does not have much impact on energy requirements either although it has other health implications.

bodacious

My understanding is that the ATP gain produced via enhanced oxidative metabolism required to improve cellular structure, and to allow cells to better communicate together as a stable multicellular organism?

tara

IIRC, Peat said that at one stage when he improved his metabolism, his calorie requirements reduced significantly. Can't remember the detail, but my vague recollection is that it was in the order of ~7000-8000 down to ~4000 - maybe someone remembers where this description is?

marteagal

Tara, your memory is good :). I think you refer to the following quote, posted by taylor108, Mittir, and others.
I was not able to find the original Peat article/interview, though.
"About your high metabolic rate and high temperature: In my teens and twenties, I needed about 8000 calories per day when I was physically active, about 4000 to 5000 when I was sedentary, but after I took thyroid, I needed only about half as many calories. Thyroid is the basic regulator of blood glucose, and it causes it to be fully oxidized for energy, so that it produces ATP efficiently, on relatively few calories. If blood glucose falls, because it's being used very quickly, the body responds with stress hormones, including glucagon, adrenalin, and cortisol." RP

tara

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals