Advice For Someone Who Has Had A Thyroidectomy

juanitacarlos

Hi all - I've been slowly adopting the Peat lifestyle for a few months now and have a question I was hoping someone could help me with.

Back in December 2009 I had a thyroidectomy due to thyroid cancer. It had not spread anywhere else in my body as far as we could tell.

I have a lot of questions really, but I'd like to start with this: everything I read on this forum, and in Peat's articles - anywhere really - is aimed at people who obviously are still operating with their intact thyroid gland - as it should, that's the majority of people - but I find it hard to distinguish what information applies to me in my particular circumstance.

For example, do I need to worry about a particular food or substance that is"anti-thyroid" - does that not apply to me?

If coconut oil is pro-thyroid, do I not get the benefits others would? Specifically relating to the thyroid.

I'm just using general sort of examples here, but does that make sense? What uniquely applies to me?

I'm not sure if anyone can answer this, but any help would be much appreciated.

BTW I love this forum!! Thanks everyone.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I would think, it would be necessary to replace the hormones that you cannot make with a thyroid supplement. This might be a question that you would want to ask Ray Peat. And if you do ask him, please let us know what he says.

The coconut oil is utilized by the liver. So I would think that you would still get good effects from it.

I hope some others chime in on this.

J

j.

PUFA avoidance will help you too, because PUFA interferes with the transportation of thyroid and its use by the tissues.

OP
juanitacarlos

juanitacarlos

Thanks for replying Charlie and j. I've definitely put avoiding PUFA as my number one goal. And Charlie, I remember a few months back making this dessert thingie with a bucketload of coconut oil and I had a slice (or two) at night after dinner. Needless to say I could not get to sleep until 3 am. So the liver thing makes sense.

I would still love to hear from others, but I do feel I might need to speak to The Man. I have found it incredibly difficult to obtain information on how my body works now from my doctor/s and endocronolgists (I don't seem them anymore). I get quite a few blood tests done about every 2 months now, so I have some good data to go on.

Can someone please advise me on how I contact Mr Peat please? Thanks again for your help.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I am not sure. But you can contact him using the contact form and he will email you back.

OP
juanitacarlos

juanitacarlos

Charlie said:
I am not sure. But you can contact him using the contact form and he will email you back.

Excellent! Thanks Charlie. I'll let you know how it goes. :D

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Definitely interested in what he says. Please keep us posted.

Take care.

OP
juanitacarlos

juanitacarlos

Dr Peat got back to me already! I've sent him some more detailed info e.g. blood tests, diet, supplements etc. So hopefully hear back soon. I will post in the Peat email depository when I hear back.

Claudia

Dr Peat got back to me already! I've sent him some more detailed info e.g. blood tests, diet, supplements etc. So hopefully hear back soon. I will post in the Peat email depository when I hear back.
Hello, I am a new member and would be keen to hear Dr Peat's email response, as I too have had a total thyroidectomy. Can somebody please advise where I find the Peat email depositary? With thanks:)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals