Adverse Reaction To Red Meat Specifically. Anyone Else?

Waremu

I have found that if one has slow/sluggish digestion, meat can be hard to digest and lead to other issues. But that isn't because of the meat, usually, but because of slow digestion. Many people with diminished ability to produce enough gastric acid, for example, have this issue. Support digestion, keep endotoxin lower, and inflammation low, eat easy to digest foods, support the bodies healthy methylation system (which is important for proper digestion), etc. And, of course, one would want to eat good quality meat, if possible. Perhaps, while trying to do these things and get digestion in order, eat low PUFA white meat for the time being. Copper and Zinc is also very important.

Cirion

Can you get away with having it once in a while or did you only notice problems after consuming it daily? I also have an adverse reaction, but it was because I was over-doing it, not an allergy per-se.

I'm noticing that many people (You know who you are ;) ) promote eating meat every day, but I don't think it's optimal. I'm trying to find a middle ground, since I think NEVER eating meat might be a bit extreme, but Kate Deering who wrote a book that Ray Peat himself endorsed, she says you should maybe have meat 1-2x a week only, and perhaps not even that if your health is compromised. Vani Hari, author of "Food Babe" while I don't agree with as much of her ideas as Kate's, but she also says she only eats meat like once a week also.

Meat just has too high of a phosphorus:calcium ratio, is high in detrimental aminos, can be high in iron, and many other issues to consume it every day. Milk is the only protein that Kate recommends you have daily among bone broth and gelatin and maybe some cheese. A little shellfish and liver (not every day) can be ok, and maybe 1-2x eggs a day (limit due to pufa, and the potential allergens in the whites of the egg which Ray says can induce a powerful insulin response).

Personally, I would treat meat at this point as an occasional "supplement" to get some nutrients from it that may be difficult to get from other protein sources, but that's just me.

OP
Twohandsondeck
Can you get away with having it once in a while or did you only notice problems after consuming it daily?
It's always been an issue regardless of frequency. Other inflammatory substances heavily conflate with how well I'm able to tolerate red meat. Mixing starch with meat, eggs with meat, having supplements with liver-toxic excipients, drinking milk, having beans, more than a cup of leafy greens, raw vegetables, and obviously anything processed are all conflating triggers.

have meat 1-2x a week only
This seems plausible for those over age 40 or so with the decrease of hydrochloric acid. The ideal I've followed is to "supplement" meat, as you suggested, in accordance with the intensity of recent exercise, specifically anaerobic activity.

whites of the egg which Ray says can induce a powerful insulin response
Only the whites may induce an potent insulin response? Interesting.

Cirion

Yeh mixing meat and starch in my experience doesn't end well. Food combiner advocates say to not do this also. Part of it can be not enough carbohydrates with meat. Some people may need more or less than others of carb to protein ratio. Personally, I need very high C:P ratios. I am pretty sure I recall Peat saying he needed upwards of a quart of OJ to counteract the effects of just one or two eggs probably part of why he eats 1-2 max a day typically. So I can see how mixing eggs with meat would not end well also.

tara

I'm trying to find a middle ground,
That makes sense to me - there are more choices than several pounds a week or vegetarian.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals