Adults Do Not Need Tetanus Vaccine Every Decade

haidut

Forum Supporter
Several of the vaccines commonly administered to humans are said to require periodic boosters, since the immunity conferred by the vaccine wanes with time. The tetanus vaccine is one such vaccine and it is a required vaccine for many occupations. The common practice is to administer the vaccine every 10 years to boost the immunity, however it turns out that there is very little evidence to support such practice and in reality once every 30 years is probably better. This means about 2 vaccines total throughout a person's lifetime.

Adults don't need tetanus shot every decade: Study
"...Adults can get tetanus and diphtheria vaccine boosters every 30 years instead of the recommended 10 years, a new study suggests. "We have always been told to get a tetanus shot every 10 years, but actually, there is very little data to prove or disprove that timeline," said researcher Mark Slifka. He is a professor at the Oregon National Primate Research Center at Oregon Health & Science University. Revising that vaccination schedule could also save the U.S. health care system hundreds of millions of dollars a year, the researchers added in a university news release."

marteagal

Thank you very much, Haidut, for sharing this! My last tetanus vaccination was 14 years ago, and some people recently tried to persuade me to refresh it. However, witnessing first-hand how harmful vaccination can be, I try to avoid it by any means. Very good to know that the effects should last much longer.

dfspcc20

I've seen something similar recently regarding pets. Veterinarians typically try to push all vaccines every year (not sure if that included tetanus, or if that's even applicable), when in fact, the supposed immunity from the vaccinations typically lasts at least 3-4 years.

Gl;itch.e

So the fact that I had multiple dpt shots as a child and then was given a tetanus shot at 15 after being hit by a car (and having no puncture wounds or open cuts) means I should be fine till 45.

Giraffe

So the fact that I had multiple dpt shots as a child and then was given a tetanus shot at 15 after being hit by a car (and having no puncture wounds or open cuts) means I should be fine till 45.
I was given two different tetanus shots after an accident with extensive abrasions full of dirt: one for immediate effect, the other one to refresh vaccination.

tara

I had one about 15-20 yrs ago, been thinking it's time to refresh soon.

Logan-

Several of the vaccines commonly administered to humans are said to require periodic boosters, since the immunity conferred by the vaccine wanes with time. The tetanus vaccine is one such vaccine and it is a required vaccine for many occupations. The common practice is to administer the vaccine every 10 years to boost the immunity, however it turns out that there is very little evidence to support such practice and in reality once every 30 years is probably better. This means about 2 vaccines total throughout a person's lifetime.

Adults don't need tetanus shot every decade: Study
"...Adults can get tetanus and diphtheria vaccine boosters every 30 years instead of the recommended 10 years, a new study suggests. "We have always been told to get a tetanus shot every 10 years, but actually, there is very little data to prove or disprove that timeline," said researcher Mark Slifka. He is a professor at the Oregon National Primate Research Center at Oregon Health & Science University. Revising that vaccination schedule could also save the U.S. health care system hundreds of millions of dollars a year, the researchers added in a university news release."
Do you think the tetanus vaccine is necessary at all, under certain circumstances? Would you (or have your child) ever get it, for example after a stray dog’s bite or a serious injury with rusty iron penetrating deep into the skin?

InChristAlone

Do you think the tetanus vaccine is necessary at all, under certain circumstances? Would you (or have your child) ever get it, for example after a stray dog’s bite or a serious injury with rusty iron penetrating deep into the skin?
It's too late after an injury. If you have signs of tetanus you need the immunoglobulin. But avoiding tetanus is easy. Clean the wound.

Logan-

It's too late after an injury. If you have signs of tetanus you need the immunoglobulin. But avoiding tetanus is easy. Clean the wound.
How do you “clean” a wound caused by rusty iron deeply penetrating into the skin, or by serious dog bites?

InChristAlone

How do you “clean” a wound caused by rusty iron deeply penetrating into the skin, or by serious dog bites?
You can soak a puncture wound in water with peroxide. Dog bites are flushed with soapy water at the ER usually. Anything that has bled is safe as that destroys tetanus.

Tarmander

Does Tetanus actually exist? I keep looking for cases of lock jaw in a 3rd world country or somewhere that doesn't vaccinate. Haven't been able to find one yet.

Sherbert

Does Tetanus actually exist? I keep looking for cases of lock jaw in a 3rd world country or somewhere that doesn't vaccinate. Haven't been able to find one yet.
Fair question