Adulterated Milk

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I noticed my niece was given milk with added DHA this week which obviously means there is a sizeable market for this product. How are we going to do better as a human race when we give this to our children. Someone decided this would be a way to increase sales I'm sure but somehow this has to end. No wonder she cries non-stop and appears quite miserable already at only 3 years old! I'm afraid it's going to get much worse as she ages. I would speak up but unfortunately her father is very wealthy despite no college education and views himself as superior to normal middle class people. It's heart breaking when you could help a family member or anyone for that matter but no one wants to hear an alternative view of their precious fish oil! I suppose I could anonymously mail him Peat's articles related to fish oil. I'm not sure he would even read them or understand. Sometimes people think they have it all figured out when the media is running their lives and they can't see it. I hate DHA.

Last edited:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Blossom said:
Sometimes people think they have it all figured out when the media is running their lives and they can't see it.
Yup. This last week I got to watch a great example of this. There was supposed to be the ice storm of the ages that was supposed to hit the south. Everyone was on edge, running to the stores, etc etc etc. I had a friend call me up freaking out about getting a generator going just in case it no electricity. I realize being prepared is a smart thing. But the fear you could see on the people who were tuned into the television programming box was incredible. A state of fear, because the box told them so. The power of the box is quite incredible really.

Ben

He might not bother reading the whole article, so you should sum it up for him in the email. And of course try to make it not come across as a spam email.

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Ben said:
He might not bother reading the whole article, so you should sum it up for him in the email. And of course try to make it not come across as a spam email.
Great point. I wonder too if his daughter's health was also influenced by the enormous pressure he put on his wife to be unnaturally thin. Sad to say the least.

narouz

I was listening to a Peat interview with Kim Greenhouse the other day.
I think it may be called "Rain Making Time."
Peat was asked about DHA and fish oil generallly.

Greenhouse asked (this was the gist):
What is the disconnect--why do people believe that fish oil is so healthy,
when you are saying that it is just the opposite--so unhealthy?

Peat replied (to this effect):
Well, if you grind up people's brains,
you find a lot of chicken fat and fish oil.

My inference of what Peat meant was that researchers,
seeing the presence of large amounts of n-6 and n-3 fats in autopsied human brains,
made a wrong-headed leap to the conclusion
that brain function and health is based upon voluminous supply of n-6 and n-3,
whereas Peat sees the presence of those fats in the brain
as a sign of disease.

Here is the first line of the DHA entry on Wikipedia:
"Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) is an omega-3 fatty acid that is a primary structural component of the human brain, cerebral cortex, skin, sperm, testicles and retina."

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Good point. I too used to believe that line of thinking. There was always a little voice in my pufa laden brain that thought if it had to be refrigerated then how could it work in my body which so obviously is not a refrigerator! Of course back then I would never have questioned authority! I posted a similar comment under pufa a storage about how I would cringe when I took EPO but I still dutifully took it. So it's not a conspiracy to keep everyone in poor health it's just faulty science once again.

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Rather than start a new thread I figured I'd add this here since it's about adulterated milk.
Be careful and don't buy this if you are drinking lactose free milk!!!
LACTAID® Calcium Enriched Fat Free Milk
I had to make a late night trip into work and on my way home I stopped by a different store than usual to pick up some milk. I normally drink Organic Valley lactose free 1% but my only options were Lactaid 2% or the Lactaid fat free version with added calcium. I was tired and just grabbed the fat free and didn't think much about it. When I got home and poured a glass I noticed it seemed way too thick so I looked at the label and saw that it had carrageenan and guar gum added. I've had Lactaid brand milk before and it never had anything added besides the typical vitamins and the lactase enzyme so I'm not really sure what's going on. As far as I can tell by looking online their other milks do not contain carrageenan. I learned my lesson though and will definitely read the label before buying anything different.
I really hope adding carrageenan to plain milk doesn't become common practice.

Rafe

Hi, @Blossom
I noticed that about Lactaid brand milk when I did the same thing you did. Upsetting now that I notice effects of food additives on my digestion.

Fairlife brand has lactase added without the gums & carageenan. However, it does have more protein than regular milk (13g/cup) & doesn't list milk solids. I have liked it so far. It doesn't have a scent like regular milk. No smell at all.

After reading Squeezed on the standards for calling something Not From Concentrate oj, I wonder how far from actual milk the Fairlife brand is. But for now, Fairlife brand gives me more protein without carageenan or guar gum. The chocolate flavor does have those I think.
Happy shopping!

Last edited:
OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Thanks @Rafe for telling me about fairlife. I'll check it out.

I exchanged the Lactaid for Dairy Pure today because that is the only other lactose free brand that particular store carries. I just told the manager truth- that I have a bad reaction to carrageenan and didn't realize it was in the milk when I bought it. I could tell he'd never heard of it before but at least he let me make the exchange.:)

I'm sorry to hear you went through the same thing.

PakPik

@Blossom microcrystalline cellulose is another additive that would be good to be aware of. I had an episode where I bought very low fat milk -I regularly used the 1.5%-. That milk gave me serious digestive trouble and pain which lasted for weeks... I ran to check the label and this additive was there which my previous type of milk didn't have! They listed it with this code: E460.
They use these things for creating nice textures, etc..., but definitely not good for you.

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I never knew buying milk & oj could be such an education! :grin
I know! Gone are the days where ignorance was bliss. Although it really wasn't bliss eating things that were making me sick so I'll take being educated and aware any day!
@Blossom microcrystalline cellulose is another additive that would be good to be aware of. I had an episode where I bought very low fat milk -I regularly used the 1.5%-. That milk gave me serious digestive trouble and pain which lasted for weeks... I ran to check the label and this additive was there which my previous type of milk didn't have! They listed it with this code: E460.
They use these things for creating nice textures, etc..., but definitely not good for you.
Wow, another one to look out for! Thanks PakPik