Adrenergic dysfunction may be the cause of all "addictions"

haidut

Forum Supporter
Obviously, chronic stress is the most likely cause behind chronically elevated adrenalin levels, as is low blood sugar. This boosts the validity "Rat Park Experiment" and the theory behind it, which showed that rats used "addictive" substances only when under stress, and stop using them when left alone.
The above, if true, implies that drugs like clonidine may be good, broadly acting agents against stress.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24151426

"...If elevated noradrenergic signaling is an etiological factor in the abuse of a broad range of substances, then chronic use of pharmacological agents that reduce noradrenergic signaling, such as clonidine, guanfacine, lofexidine, propranolol, or prazosin, may help prevent or treat drug abuse in general."

J

j.

Re: Adrenergic dysfunction may be the cause of all "addictio

They can probably just use thyroid too, with good nutrition.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

j. said:

Yes, or anything else that lowers adrenalin. I am starting to see studies claiming that schizophrenia is an adrenalin disorder too, which would vindicate some of the old Hoffer theories on it being caused by "adrenochrome".

Peata

haidut said:
j. said:

Yes, or anything else that lowers adrenalin. I am starting to see studies claiming that schizophrenia is an adrenalin disorder too, which would vindicate some of the old Hoffer theories on it being caused by "adrenochrome".

What else lowers adrenalin?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

Peata said:
haidut said:
j. said:

What else lowers adrenalin?

Among others, salt and keeping blood sugar stable. Many supplements and drugs do to but for those I suggest you do a search on the forum using the built-in function or Google.

khan

When I use propranolol, I loose the desire to smoke. Haidut, which one is better in your opinion between clonidine and propranolol? Are you using also cyproheptadine?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

khan said:
When I use propranolol, I loose the desire to smoke. Haidut, which one is better in your opinion between clonidine and propranolol? Are you using also cyproheptadine?

I think clonidine is safer. As far as which one is "better" I think this will depend on the person and reason for taking it. I am not taking cypro any more, in line with Ray's recommendations to not take pharma drugs on a regular basis.