Adrenals and sugar [sugar cravings]

Violet

I'm successfully trying to raise my body temp at the moment, which is supposed to be very healing for the adrenals (if your internal thermostat is screwy, the adrenals are relegated to raise body temp when it's low by releasing adrenaline).

However, since I started this, I've been getting insane sugar cravings. Honey, dates, refined sugar: my mouth is alive with sweetness :cool:

I read before that sugar craving is associated with weak adrenals. Does anyone know Peat's view on this? Does sugar help the adrenals heal? OR, do people crave sugar when they have weak adrenals in order to rev up the thyroid?

Ray Peat says:
"If your thyroid is working efficiently, your pituitary doesn't have much to do and... your adrenals don't have much to do... The other glands have an easy job when your thyroid is working right."

Would love to hear your thoughts :)

J

j.

Re: Adrenals and sugar

Violet, what's your background? How long have you been avoiding PUFAs?

OP
Violet

Violet

j. said:
Violet, what's your background? How long have you been avoiding PUFAs?

We-elll... I havent eaten nuts, avos, seeds etc for ages, I avoid pork and poultry but... I've still been eating fish. I wasn't convinced that it could be bad for you, but having read the stuff about fish oils suppressing the immune system I'm willing to give it a go :)

Other than that, my diet is pretty good I think. Not quite Peat, but moving in that direction. No soy, no gluten, high carb, and eat a lot of coconut!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Ray Peat said in a radio interview that craving sugar was a sign of hypothyroidism.

In the beginning of this journey for me, I craved sugar. So, I listened to my body and ate as much sugar as it asked for. Then in a short time, I stopped craving sugar. Your body is craving sugar for a reason and needs it.

Your adrenals have to make energy via adrenaline when you are hypothyroid. Get the thyroid working right and your adrenals wont have much to do.

jyb

Typically RP diet is composed of frequent small meals, with balanced nutrients (fat, sugar, protein and salt - typically more sugar and protein) or sugar only when needed. RP writes that things like coconut helps stabilise blood sugar, though I haven't really noticed a difference yet. Whenever hungry, its more than time to get that meal.

J

j.

My sugar cravings stopped a few months after stopping consumption of all significant sources of PUFA. I told Ray Peat and this was his response:

Ray Peat said:
That happens when your blood sugar is stable, and your liver is storing enough glycogen so that it can continuously make the T3, needed for efficient use of the sugar.

OP
Violet

Violet

j. said:
My sugar cravings stopped a few months after stopping consumption of all significant sources of PUFA. I told Ray Peat and this was his response:

Ray Peat said:
That happens when your blood sugar is stable, and your liver is storing enough glycogen so that it can continuously make the T3, needed for efficient use of the sugar.

That's interesting... I don't normally get sugar cravings though - not like this anyway...

OP
Violet

Violet

jyb said:
Typically RP diet is composed of frequent small meals, with balanced nutrients (fat, sugar, protein and salt - typically more sugar and protein) or sugar only when needed. RP writes that things like coconut helps stabilise blood sugar, though I haven't really noticed a difference yet. Whenever hungry, its more than time to get that meal.

I didn't realise Peat recommended that way of eating, but it's something I've naturally transitioned to over teh last month! I eat probably 7 times a day: four small meals, a few snacks.

OP
Violet

Violet

Charlie said:
Ray Peat said in a radio interview that craving sugar was a sign of hypothyroidism.

In the beginning of this journey for me, I craved sugar. So, I listened to my body and ate as much sugar as it asked for. Then in a short time, I stopped craving sugar. Your body is craving sugar for a reason and needs it.

Your adrenals have to make energy via adrenaline when you are hypothyroid. Get the thyroid working right and your adrenals wont have much to do.

Thanks Charlie. Yeah, I'm going with it! Just curious why it might be happening at the same time as raising my body temp...

4peatssake

Charlie said:

This is exactly my experience. I had starved myself of sugar for so long - years - and my sugar cravings were literally off the charts. I did a lot of damage to myself because I just didn't know. I bought into all the lies that sugar is bad for you. :roll:

Now I eat a ton of sugar and do not crave it at all. My temps have improved so much now. They were very low but in the last couple of days they are approaching normal. I still have a lot of areas to improve but I am seeing improvement here.

Waking temp today was 97.9 and after breakfast was 98.4

I can tell you I nearly fell over because they have been so low for weeks and weeks. So I can certainly attest to following RP's advice for improving temps. Eating sugar was extremely important for me.

I think my adrenals have worked overtime for years because of hypo - I am just now beginning to set things right.

Best of luck and welcome to the forum Violet!

Dutchie

Reading people aying here they now don't crave sugar anymore kinda confuses :s me,since I thought the entire Peat eating is based upon eating sugars (from fruits,honey,other sucrose sources,dairy products and some starch). What do you eat now?

J

j.

Dutchie said:
Reading people aying here they now don't crave sugar anymore kinda confuses :s me,since I thought the entire Peat eating is based upon eating sugars (from fruits,honey,other sucrose sources,dairy products and some starch). What do you eat now?

I eat sugar too now, but without craving it.

4peatssake

Dutchie said:

Sorry Dutchie, I think we have you confused by how we put things.

I eat tons of sugar but don't crave it any more because I've satisfied my craving for it. That is the point that we were making.

It was when I deprived myself of sugar that my sugar cravings were the strongest. Now that I eat as much sugar as I like, whenever I want, I don't crave it the way I used to - from a place of deprivation.

My diet consists primarily of oj, milk, sugar (lots), gelatin, coffee, coconut oil, eggs, beef occasionally, liver - the usual Peat fare!