Adrenal Fatigue Real Or Fake?

Jsaute21

How important are our adrenal glands to energy production truly? Come across so many articles which mention their significance. It seems as if Peat strongly disagrees with that notion. I know the guy is unparalleled in terms of knowledge but what are some other opinions on this matter?

InChristAlone

Adrenal glands do not fatigue. The signals just are messed up. HPA axis dysfunction. And this does happen after chronic stress or a major stress event. Ray Peat believes using thyroid heals the adrenals. I don't know if it is that simple though. I think progesterone is great for adrenal health.

PeatThemAll

Only thing I can say for sure is watch out for excess cortisol. Personally, I really feel the difference when it gets too high and I switch from Phase II (fight) to Phase III (depression - what's the point?). It's like a switch or bullet time (à la Matrix) moment. Don't get there. And if it's already too late, change something, don't bottle it in.

Giraffe

Regarding the hypoglycemia that people with "adrenal fatigue" report:

The hypoglycemic side of hypothyroidism
The condition [hypothyroidism] is linked with low growth hormone and cortisol responses to insulin induced hypoglycemia, and this prevents adequate counter regulatory protection.[20,21] It must be noted that in some cases, pituitary dysfunction may be a consequence of primary hypothyroidism, rather than a cause of thyroid dysfunction. For example, hypothyroidism reduces basal and stimulated growth hormone levels, by acting on both the hypothalamus and pituitary.[21] As it is linked with suboptimal growth hormone response, the recovery from hypoglycemia may be prolonged in hypothyroidism.

The reduced cortisol responses to insulin-induced hypoglycemia that are noted in hypothyroidism also worsen hypoglycemia.

Peat was asked about "weak adrenals". See here.

Giraffe

Adrenal fatigue does not exist: a systematic review
The paper discusses fatigue, burnout and whether there is substantiation for "adrenal fatigue". For those interested in the topics, the references might be interesting.

Salivary cortisol as a biomarker in stress research

This paper discusses factors that influence salivary cortisol levels, how it corresponds to total cortisol, and whether or not it is a good biomarker for stress.

Ive read in stop the thyroid madness they do hydrocortisone or adrenals suppplements if ntd or t3 did not work?