Adjunctive Medication For ADHD To Take With Dexamphetamine

ReSTART

Hello I take Dexamphetamine for ADHD (prescribed of course). I tried ritalin but it makes me waaaay too amped up, wired, anxious hyperfocused, tunnelvision.

Dex is good but it increases blood pressure a bit and still don't feel like ADHD is 100% treated. Anything I should look into?

Maybe Clonidine? Or Agmatine?

Last edited:

lampofred

Niacinamide and gelatin may have some quieting properties.

Frankdee20

At some point, too much stimulation can cause it's own attention issues, notably rigid thinking, and that is why some people benefit from balancing that out with GABA enhancement. If you believe Dr Amen and the whole SPECT scanning, he says there are a few types of ADD. Some get worse with stimulants, and some get worse with SSRIS.

OP
R

ReSTART

I used Niacinamide before, still have some... might be worth using some. Used gelatin for ages, didn't really notice anything honestly.

Last edited:
I used Niacinamide before, still have some... might be worth using some. Used gelatin for ages, didn't really notice anything honestly.

I've been having some success with large doses of Gelatin (90g /day) & drinking lots of OJ + Simple Syrup which helps to offset the stress response and give more calm focus. Maybe try increasing the dosages.

Frankdee20

Hello I take Dexamphetamine for ADHD (prescribed of course). I tried ritalin but it makes me waaaay too amped up, wired, anxious hyperfocused, tunnelvision.

Dex is good but it increases blood pressure a bit and still don't feel like ADHD is 100% treated. Anything I should look into?

Maybe Clonidine? Or Agmatine?

Magnesium was purported in one study on Pub Med to prevent tolerance to amphetamine via blockade of the NMDA receptor. That can also help with blood pressure, and stimulation.

Otterbutt

Two things seem to affect how well my ADD meds work: good sleep and appropriate nutrition for my body, which is obviously individual.

1)Personal nutrition needs: I like to streamline carbs throughout the day, and have decent protein and fat at meals. Also make sure you're tracking if what you're eating is affecting the absorption/consistency of the drug. Vit. C interferes with absorption of some and can render them useless, and I find that adding stimulants (coffee, chocolate, tea) to my meds intensifies them, which also seems to clear them faster/cause a faster comedown.
2) Sleep
Get a sleep study if you suspect any apnea, circadian rhythm/sleep phase disregulation.
For awhile, make sure sleep is consistent/regulated and optimal times for you; black out curtains, same sleep/wake time, and use .5-1mg melatonin or PS100 to get on track once in a while (if you're out late and amped up either works for me to get me to bed ASAP).
Magnesium threonate does wonders for keeping me asleep, or putting me back to sleep. (Same for the two people I've recommended it to). I've been doing that for three months and am just flowing with it until I feel like I might need change.

I've told anyone feeling that their meds are suboptimal despite dosage/timing manipulation to try Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine).

I have ADD (inattentive). I've tried adderall/generic and vyvanse, and there is no comparison for me; I am in a temporary situation where I can't get my Vyvanse covered by insurance, so I pay out of pocket (hundreds of dollars a month), because it is that good/life changing. Also, trialling it isn't scary/difficult. At too low a dose I just don't feel much, and too high I just have no appetite and ridiculously hyperfocused or euphoric, but not anxious. On adderall, I had crazy mood swings, crashes, cravings. I still use it on days where I want to save my vyvanse, and stay inside doing chores where no one is around to witness Jekyll/Hyde.

I've been on vyvanse for over a year with no need to increase/decrease. It is very "smooth" as described to me by my prescribing psychiatrist and a second opinion from a family friend Psy. D. specializing in my issues. I know three people who have tried it - Two hyperactives say it's the best thing they've tried, and the other inattentive person who tried it felt no effects, but did not try adjusting dose and instead gave up on finding treatment.

I'm happy, patient, motivated, organized, and my confidence has vastly improved. I feel attractive, smile more, and have better eye contact/boundaries. It has also increased my demands for calories and carbohydrates, while even losing a bit of weight to the point I do not feel that I need to lose more and would not abuse it for that purpose.

___
A note: I spent over a decade and thousands of dollars trying to manage my ADD with supps, peaty and not. I gave in when I just stopped caring about living, and someone who loves me told me they really wanted to see me try medication.
Vyvanse essentially seems to do what thyroid might have, which I never got my hands on. I spent a few years digging very hard to get someone to take my "subclinical" hypothyroid seriously, as hypo runs in my family, and those who got medicated are happy, positive go-getters, whereas I was an apathetic, foggy, cold, cynical mess. I once had my temps measured at 95.5 (!!), though they were mostly around 97.7. Vyvanse has improved they "thyroid" symptoms of low heart rate, low temp (I mean, duh, it's a stim), BUT fascinatingly, my TSH was consistently 3.5-4.5 over the past decade and now it is 1.88, and my tolerance for carbohydrate is incredible. I used to crash on sugar (coke, sugared coffee would put me to sleep) but now it is energizing and activates my brain further. I have an increased need for calories and carbohydrate to what I think are more normal levels (2500 cal, 200g carb), while even having lost a bit of weight (I used to micromanage a higher weight with 2000 cal, <100 g carb), and I think this has more to do with the relaxing and positive effect of proper amounts of dopamine/norepinephrine.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals